Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
114,483 Posts
It rained a lot for the womens matches also. Although Henin/Capriati was a great semi

·
King
28,769 Posts
Antwerp '08 was dire. There were tons of withdrawals, the field was depleted, the standard of play was horrendous. Justine was in a freefall and playing like crap yet she eventually prevailed and won what eventually felt like a 50K tournament.
Yes - this so much. And every single match where Henin wasn't playing there were about circle 50 people watching max.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
París indoor tournament. Cannot remember the name but it was really low quality
Then Annika Beck in Luxemburg finals well..
As well one of Río Open won by some no name player

·
Registered
32,086 Posts
2012 Brisbane had an unfortunate end to the tournament with Hantuchova benefiting from a withdrawal and a retirement to end up in the final. Brisbane was always hit by withdrawals and retirement in general (Azarenka's toe, Sharapova, Muguruza, etc.).

Some of the Hopman Cups before Federer showed up were truly dire. Last-minute replacements, tanks, withdrawals, retirements, players not bothering with mixed doubles, etc.

·
Registered
13,830 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Summer of 2016 had a terrible schedule that made some tournaments extremely horrible. We were coming from a horrible field in Bogota (tanking Svitolina + pretty much nobody else) and it just got surpassed by Nanchang (only one top 100 entrant, the week before the Olympics). Florianopolis also got marred by late withdrawals after expecting Pliskova to play (withdrew from playing in Brazil due to zika) and even New Haven (after so many players made the Canada + Olympics + Cincinnati run) had a ton of LLs in the draw.

I don't see any mentions for the Tokyo + Beijing swing in 2009. I can't remember any other instance where so many top players were withdrawing, retiring or simply playing bad so early on in two big tournaments back-to-back. Tokyo in particular was a seed massacre.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Lugano was such a disaster with all the rain.

2016 Dubai was TRAGIC, Sarita winning with her magic tortellini.

Reactions: mienshao

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Madrid 2012. So few competitive matches, the least clay-court tennis of all clay tournaments I've ever seen. Azarenka reaching the final? Of a Tier I clay event? Unconscionable. From the R32 on, only 5 three-set matches (only 1 from the QF through final).

Were it not for Hradecka's surprising run, the tournament would've been irredeemable.

·
Registered
32,494 Posts
Madrid 2012. So few competitive matches, the least clay-court tennis of all clay tournaments I've ever seen. Azarenka reaching the final? Of a Tier I clay event? Unconscionable. From the R32 on, only 5 three-set matches (only 1 from the QF through final).

Were it not for Hradecka's surprising run, the tournament would've been irredeemable.
Oh come on, Azarenka can play well on clay (in fact she's made multiple Tier I clay finals plus RG semis…) and was amazing in 2012. But I agree Madrid usually sucks.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts

She did in 2011 too.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
She did in 2011 too.
And Rome 2013
Yes, which were equally unconscionable.

At least Rome still has atmosphere and beauty, but Madrid is an ugly box, a bored crowd, and the antithesis of clay tennis somehow counting as clay tennis. Those years (plus Li Na and Sharapova (twice!) winning the French Open) signaled the death of clay tennis at the elite level of the WTA as a consequence of the PM-P5 system cutting down the importance of clay.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts