Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it’s not off season ( but it sure does feel like it ) .
Lately , I’ve been really into rewatching epic messes .( the Eranni - Bertens effect )
What’s the worst tournament from top to bottom that you’ve ever watched (500+) :
I ll go first
I didn’t Watch this live , but from the highlights and the matches I ‘ve seen , I really don’t know how anything can surpass Dubai 2016 .
I’m really curious what the reaction to Eranni winning was on Tf .
Honorable mention to Rg 2019 as it gave me the worst slam final that I have ever seen and it mostly soured me on Ash Barty ( which sucks) .

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
Antwerp were Petrović got wo in the final and then was crushed by overweight and retired Clijsters

·
Registered
32,540 Posts
Roland Garros 2019 was BAD, but I don't think a slam could ever be the worst.

I would say the worst was probably that random Chinese tournament that happened over the summer once or twice.

Another really funny tournament I remember (though definitely not the worst) was Paris Indoors in 2014 or something when Pavlyuchenkova beat Errani in the final and people on here were posting the funniest pictures of other scrubs who had won Premier titles while saying Errani never would. But she finally won Dubai 2016 as you mention.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I know it’s not off season ( but it sure does feel like it ) .
Lately , I’ve been really into rewatching epic messes .( the Eranni - Bertens effect )
What’s the worst tournament from top to bottom that you’ve ever watched (500+) :
I ll go first
I didn’t Watch this live , but from the highlights and the matches I ‘ve seen , I really don’t know how anything can surpass Dubai 2016 .
I’m really curious what the reaction to Eranni winning was on Tf .
Honorable mention to Rg 2019 as it gave me the worst slam final that I have ever seen and it mostly soured me on Ash Barty ( which sucks) .

·
Registered
54 Posts
Depends on the tournament level. From a Grand Slam perspective, 2004 and 2019 Roland Garros were awful.

From regular tour events, 2015 Antwerp and 2016 Dubai stand out.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Oh another honorable mention is Vesnina winning Indian Wells (2017 I think?)
IW 2017 may have had a shocking outcome but I don't recall it being a shockingly bad tournament.

I have watched worse.Much much worse. :LOL:

As finals go I thought it wasn't bad either - though I am a tad biased.

And anyone who defeats three Grand Slam champions deserves to pick up something nice. Anyway Lena did TF a favour. This was during Mlad's (very brief) run as a top player - if she had won this place would have burnt down.:p

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Some of the grass court ones when it rains all the time and you get no sense of any of the matches because they keep starting and stopping. I once went to Eastbourne and only saw seven games all day of Seles v Brenda Schultz McCarthy and was forced to watch Virginia Wade videos inside the theatre sitting on the floor. I can't remember if that was the same year it got abandoned with the final between Jana and Arantxa unfinished. Do you remember when Birmingham was so waterlogged that the outside courts looked like a quagmire with just mud and barely any visible blades of grass?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Some of the grass court ones when it rains all the time and you get no sense of any of the matches because they keep starting and stopping. I once went to Eastbourne and only saw seven games all day of Seles v Brenda Schultz McCarthy and was forced to watch Virginia Wade videos inside the theatre sitting on the floor. I can't remember if that was the same year it got abandoned with the final between Jana and Arantxa unfinished. Do you remember when Birmingham was so waterlogged that the outside courts looked like a quagmire?
Yes maybe I'm just getting more impatient as I get older but despite watching tennis for years I get increasingly pissed off by rain delays [insert old man shouts at clouds gif here]

It is not helped by grass season only being equalled by Down Under season as my favourite part of the year.

Living on these islands I am fully aware of what the weather is like but it doesn't seem to help. :LOL:

Nottingham 2019 was another more recent example. A grasscourt tournament - largely played on indoor hardcourt. Which I couldn't watch. Absolutely fucking brillant. :(Though it was saved somewhat by Donna V and Caro G putting on a really good final this also reminded me what I had missed.:mad:

The likes of Wuhan and Shenzhen don't seem to have many rains delays. No people of course but guess you can't have everything.

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
Some of the grass court ones when it rains all the time and you get no sense of any of the matches because they keep starting and stopping. I once went to Eastbourne and only saw seven games all day of Seles v Brenda Schultz McCarthy and was forced to watch Virginia Wade videos inside the theatre sitting on the floor. I can't remember if that was the same year it got abandoned with the final between Jana and Arantxa unfinished. Do you remember when Birmingham was so waterlogged that the outside courts looked like a quagmire with just mud and barely any visible blades of grass?
Yes Eastbourne 1997 was a mess and the final wasn’t completed due to inclement weather. Even 1996 was lucky to finish.

The British tournaments 1996-1999 were badly affected by rain, for whatever reason.

1998 Birmingham was also cancelled - just as Tauziat looked set to defeat Graf for the first time in her career.

·
Registered
21,413 Posts
Sydney 2005

All the top seeds retiring or giving walkovers and Stosur getting a bye to the final.

There was an all Australian final and Peng had her WTA breakthrough, but only because Myskina was as a pile of crap and Petrova gave up.

Antwerp '08 was dire. There were tons of withdrawals, the field was depleted, the standard of play was horrendous. Justine was in a freefall and playing like crap yet she eventually prevailed and won what eventually felt like a 50K tournament.
I totally agree with this one.

·
Registered
114,486 Posts
The US Open that Roddick won. His coach Brad Gilbert worked with the USTA to get his matches in first when it rained most of week 2. He had a huge advantage because he was a US player and his coach knew the USTA & US Open officials

1 - 20 of 100 Posts