Tennis Forum banner
201 - 220 of 309 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,990 Posts
I’m surprised 2010 is mentioned as much as it is. We had Serena v Henin final AO, Serena winning Wimbledon, and Clijsters winning USO - all established champions and less messy random winners. Not to mention Kim also winning the YEC and Miami, the biggest 2 tournaments outside of the slams. Wozniacki and Vera ended the year as 1 & 2 which wasn’t great at the time, but at least they were consistent and even played each other a few times.

What was so wrong with 2010?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
You still fail to explain how Serena reached 4 Fs and 2 SFs after coming back from pregnancy. Doesn't matter that she's the greatest, she was playing nowhere close to that level. Don't have to be GOAT level to move through these Slam draws on the regular.
Then what’s your explanation as to why no one in a 5 year time span has stepped up to own the slams year in and year out? If you don’t need to be that good or have a consistent goat like mentality then why hasn’t it been done?

Why isn’t anyone “moving through these slam draws on the regular”?

It’s very clear what you are trying to do but it’s not working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Then what’s your explanation as to why no one in a 5 year time span has stepped up to own the slams year in and year out? If you don’t need to be that good or have a consistent goat like mentality then why hasn’t it been done?

Why isn’t anyone “moving through these slam draws on the regular”?

It’s very clear what you are trying to do but it’s not working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What I'm trying to do? Yes! It's the start of my massive conspiracy against the universe!

·
She's coming for your faves wigs
19,685 Posts
I’m surprised 2010 is mentioned as much as it is. We had Serena v Henin final AO, Serena winning Wimbledon, and Clijsters winning USO - all established champions and less messy random winners. Not to mention Kim also winning the YEC and Miami, the biggest 2 tournaments outside of the slams. Wozniacki and Vera ended the year as 1 & 2 which wasn’t great at the time, but at least they were consistent and even played each other a few times.

Yeah im confused too..

·
Registered
791 Posts
Belinda Bencic and Emma Raducanu have withdrawn from next week's Kremlin Cup in Moscow. Dayana Yastremska and Tereza Martincova move into the main draw.

-----

Now officially worst. Just end it already!

·
Registered
5,191 Posts

2010 was the worst of all seasons due to Dementieva retiring so young

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
2010 was definitely dragged at the time because of Wozniacki's number 1 ranking and the Belgians and WS not being consistent enough to be number 1 leading to a feeling of "undeserving" top players. Of course, from a 2021 perspective I'd take 2010 any day of the week. Just look at many of the Tier 1 tournaments many of the top players did in fact actually play each other in them too even random slam winner Schiavone!

2011 is really the season in that era that was far more random and disappointing

·
Registered
15,384 Posts

Wozniacki

·
Super Moderator
22,990 Posts
Bump :p

Looks like the outcome of today’s final sealed the deal.

Will 2022 have some more consistency at the top and more rivals or will we see even more messy draws that fall apart as a result of top players / former top players not delivering.. We could be in for a real treat at the YEC this year yet..😬😬

·
Registered
11,951 Posts
Bump :p

Looks like the outcome of today’s final sealed the deal.

Will 2022 have some more consistency at the top and more rivals or will we see even more messy draws that fall apart as a result of top players / former top players not delivering.. We could be in for a real treat at the YEC this year yet..😬😬
I couldn't agree less. I think it's great that all the top 12 are under 30 and can lead the game going into the next few years and there are others outside like the teen trio of Gauff, Raducanu and Fernandez and ex-champions who could come back like Andreescu and Kenin. Will Osaka come back? Will Swiatek come back into the GS mix? Can Barty finally win the AO for Australia? There's lots to think about going into 2022. I think the women's game is in rude health, much better than the men's still over-reliant on a creaking, ancient Big 3.

·
Registered
9,563 Posts
Yes, fair enough, that was definitely purely from a personal POV, rather than with a WTA hat on, but thinking about it that way:

Osaka winning the AO was good at the time to solidify herself as the best hard court player and improve her already massively profile, what followed was obviously unfortunate. French Open wasn't ideal, and the semi final line up wasn't great from a WTA perspective (or a personal one :LOL:), whatever you think of Barty, the world #1 winning Wimbledon and realising a dream is fitting, and can't be a bad thing, and then, while of course she has to back it up over the next couple of years or it could be seen as totally random and weird, but for now, a very marketable 18 year old from nation of the worlds most famous event, one who is capable of bringing in new, and lapsed, fans from all over the world is, at the moment, fantastic for the WTA, and the way their social media presence has been, the WTA (and the US Open) will have loved that outcome. So the slam results have largely been positive from a business perspective.

Barty winning 2 of the bigger non slams events, as well as Sabalenka, Swiatek, and even Muguruza winning one is positive and a bit of order restored. Giorgi, while she obviously has fans on here, and a huge social media presence, given her age and where she was ranked, her winning Montreal was probably the only main event win with no real upside, even though I like her. I would have definitely added Krej to that as well, but she has at least backed hers up very well, despite me not being a fan, so no, even from that perspective, I'd argue it was a pretty good year (and a Badosa IW triumph would be the cherry on top :D).
6 days ago this was just fantasy stuff, but 2021 keeps on producing. :cool: :love:

·
Registered
7,083 Posts

I think part of 2010’s problem was that the winners of most of the big titles that year (Serena and Clijsters) played so little, which allowed Wozniacki to dominate the MM events and get to number 1. Also Henin’s comeback started very well but quickly fizzled out as she failed to live up to expectations and eventually got injured.

Despite this, it was still a great year compared to 2008 and 2009 where the likes of Safina and Jankovic got to the top of the rankings 🤢

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
38,983 Posts
Speaking personally I do agree strongly with all the posters here who point out the improvement in the depth on the tour over the last 20 years. Matches I watch today in the first round of events, and sometimes even the qualifying are of the same level of quality as matches I would see between two top 20 players a few years ago. The standard of tennis between 100 and 200 must be at least as good as the top 30 standard of 20 years ago. At the moment on their day, I'd say at least half the players ranked between 51 and 100 are capable of player top 20 tennis on a good day. That never used to be the case. This is why we are seeing so many more upsets. There are simply a lot more players out there who can play great tennis these days.

As for worse season of all time, well every year one hears nostalgic posters saying the present year is the worst ever and women's tennis is going down the tubes. Usually when I read posters saying things like this it means, I don't like this generation of players as much as the generation that excited me as a child/young adult. Honestly ever since I started watching tennis in the mid 70s I have sensed the overall level of the tour has gradually continued to improve. Obviously, at the top of the game, some years has featured more elite stars having success than others.

With Serena no longer the dominant elite player she was for most of her career, the current WTA tennis landscape is lacking any alltime greats that one can expect to dominate all opponents for several years to come. There is no Williams, Evert, Graf or Navratilova at the top of the rankings. On the other hand, players ranked 20 and below are now playing at a level that would have brought them vastly higher rankings 10 or 20 years ago. There are way, way more players in a Grand Slam draw who are capable of player amazing high quality tennis than there ever was back when I was first watching the game. Back in the day, early round matches in Grand Slams between lower ranked players were dismal compared to the standard I see all the time today. Sure.... one could still enjoy the matches for their competitive nature but the tour plays to so much higher a standard today than it did in the past.

But to answer the question, looking back the last 20 years and thinking about all the griping about matches being low quality etc, I think the only year I struggled to dispute this was 2017. Something strange really was in the water that year and the level, especially at the top really did dip. Absolutely no one was playing top 5 tennis that year and as a result a lot of strange results happened with lower ranked players able to exploit the situation. It really is notable how few of 2017s success stories are still around playing top tennis today. Most are now outside the top 30 and a considerable amount are either retired or outside the top 100. This year we have seen a lot of players make big improvements in their game. But unlike 2017 it is clear to me these players who have emerged this year are having success because they are playing outstanding tennis. Unlike 2017s crop of surprises who have all pretty much fallen by the wayside now, I expect 2021's surprises to be with us in the upper echelons of the game for at least another half decade and in some cases another decade or even more than that.

Yeah, 2017 absolutely gets my nod as the one year in the last quarter century where I felt something was wrong with the tour and the standard wasn't where it should be, but that is the only year I would say that for.

201 - 220 of 309 Posts