Tennis Forum banner
181 - 200 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Probably so, this year is so low quality and everyone is such a godawful player like what the shit. The top players from a decade ago would wipe their ass with the current top players. Barty is an exception because she actually has a great game.
The fact that Azarenka is top 30 in the race playing at 5% of the level she played at in 2012 is telling

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Probably so, this year is so low quality and everyone is such a godawful player like what the shit. The top players from a decade ago would wipe their ass with the current top players. Barty is an exception because she actually has a great game.
This is pure delusion, plain and simple.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Yes ...I do. you seem to equate multiple winners with mediocrity, and pine for the days when few players won all the tourneys. You seem upset that it's a wide open field, dismissing players not at the very top of the rankings as "scrubs" because they are ranked #35, #47, #62 whatever. This is bull shit......the quality is there further down the pipeline, too bad if you don't like it.....that's reality. If it doesn't look good from a headlines standpoint....too bad. The top seeds still get all the attention....fair enough. In the FITD game on here.....folks who follow tennis picked who they thought would win the tourney. 34 out of 66 picked one of the top 4 seeds. 20 years ago that would have been 60 out of 66. My point being that rankings do not reflect talent....there's just too much of it out there.

So in the future, this trend is only going to continue, so be ready. A high tide raises all boats son, meaning that the players quickly improve by playing high level competition. Why you refuse to accept this is beyond me, as the tennis is better than ever.
I think there is confusion in the word consistency. One thing is the consistency in results which can be definitely explained by depth but another thing is the consistency in the level of play. Back in 2011, Petra Kvitova even with 7 titles (including WTA 1000, YEC, and GS) was considered as a synonym of inconsistency. And I got it, she either played great or lose with any random player in round 1 because she had the ability to play that bad. But she was the exception on the tour that days up to the point she received nicknames for the Petra which will occur like Peaktra or Shitra. But what was once an exception becomes standard.

I have a feeling that today very oppositely majority of TOP players with few exceptions are having so many ups and downs. Playing constantly on their standards and being beaten by better randomly peeking TOP30, TOP40 players would be much more generally acceptable for the fans in the deep field of good players.

Reactions: Kryptonite

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
No offense to anyone, but I think people who keep going on about how better the WTA is and how players are more complete and well-rounded now are either just being silly or like to disagree for the sake of disagreeing.

When have we seen this level of hard hitting tennis in 2017-2021? Sabalenka and Osaka, the two hard hitters right now, can not produce a level that is anywhere close to this

Or what about crafty and variety tennis? You can’t honestly tell me that Barty and Andreescu have this sort of athleticism and fluidity in their games

I get what you are saying ...but Serena is simply a stand alone example....as she is the best to ever play the game. Mauresmo simply does not belong in the same class as Justine Henin, another all time great....not even close. Now Mauresmo turned pro in 1993 and won both her slams in 2006......THIRTEEN years later. She made a splash in 1999 by making AO final to be sure......6 years after turning pro, and made it to #1 in 2004 .....ELEVEN years into her career. Even Justine, who turned pro in 1999 won the first of her NINE slam FOUR years later. You seem to have selective memory dude, pretending somehow that these two great players just stepped out the box immediately and PRESTO....slam titles commenced, with their wonderful skills fully developed.:ROFLMAO:

For some comparison here dude, Barty and Andreescu are not fully developed yet. Barty turned pro in 2010 and won her 1st of two slams NINE years later, reaching #1 also nine years later, but she is only 25, her best years probably lie in front of her. Andreescu? Come on man she is 21....how can you possibly compare her to Mauresmo and Henin at this point in her career? That's simply ridiculous. Now the Henin comparison is especially ridiculous given that she is one of the all time greats, pretty high bar there dude.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Are you a new fan? There is no question that prime Serena/Venus/Clijsters/Henin, etc would absolutely dominate today’s players. If you watched them play, it’s pretty evident.
Those 4 players in their prime.....I get it. Once you get past those four.....significant drop off, meaning that they had to work a lot less to get to SF/F than the players today. I mean these four ladies in their prime were all time greats, but it's simply speculation to say they would dominate as completely today, given the much deeper fields the players today face. As it is impossible to compare, the debate will go on I guess. Cheers.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I get what you are saying ...but Serena is simply a stand alone example....as she is the best to ever play the game. Mauresmo simply does not belong in the same class as Justine Henin, another all time great....not even close. Now Mauresmo turned pro in 1993 and won both her slams in 2006......THIRTEEN years later. She made a splash in 1999 by making AO final to be sure......6 years after turning pro, and made it to #1 in 2004 .....ELEVEN years into her career. Even Justine, who turned pro in 1999 won the first of her NINE slam FOUR years later. You seem to have selective memory dude, pretending somehow that these two great players just stepped out the box immediately and PRESTO....slam titles commenced, with their wonderful skills fully developed.:ROFLMAO:

For some comparison here dude, Barty and Andreescu are not fully developed yet. Barty turned pro in 2010 and won her 1st of two slams NINE years later, reaching #1 also nine years later, but she is only 25, her best years probably lie in front of her. Andreescu? Come on man she is 21....how can you possibly compare her to Mauresmo and Henin at this point in her career? That's simply ridiculous. Now the Henin comparison is especially ridiculous given that she is one of the all time greats, pretty high bar there dude.
You still fail to explain how Serena reached 4 Fs and 2 SFs after coming back from pregnancy. Doesn't matter that she's the greatest, she was playing nowhere close to that level. Don't have to be GOAT level to move through these Slam draws on the regular.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I still think 2013 Serena would be absolutely destroying the Tour in 2021. If Ostapenko can routine Swiatek, well Serena back then was Ostapenko with consistency, and a way better serve. They would be outclassed.

In her best 2010s years she actually underachieved IMO. She was miles better than the rest of the field.
Comparing Serena to Ostapenko LOL.

Serena was always a fine ballstriker who was never a BBB (unless she has a bad day). Serena knew to construct a point and knew to defend when she had to. Ostapenko just brutalize the ball no matter the opponent she play. Serena is more than " Ostapenko with consistency "

Serena would wipe the floor with Ostapenko, and yes as you said Prime Serena would win the CYGS in 2021. I'am even sure that 2005-2006 Sharapova would win at least 3 GS this year (she doesn't beat Osaka however at the AO, because Osaka is playing like Serena but a little worse. It would be more close)

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Comparing Serena to Ostapenko LOL.

Serena was always a fine ballstriker who was never a BBB (unless she has a bad day). Serena knew to construct a point and knew to defend when she had to. Ostapenko just brutalize the ball no matter the opponent she play. Serena is more than " Ostapenko with consistency "

Serena would wipe the floor with Ostapenko, and yes as you said Prime Serena would win the CYGS in 2021. I'am even sure that 2005-2006 Sharapova would win at least 3 GS this year (she doesn't beat Osaka however at the AO, because Osaka is playing like Serena but a little worse. It would be more close)
Actually I disagree. Serena would hit 1-2 punch like Ostapenko and that was her usual game but she has a lot more control over the ball, therefore the consistency. So many times you see players hit a decent return but Serena makes it look easy and just dismisses the ball. That's why any player facing Serena always felt like she had to go for too much.

When that doesn't work Serena has lots of other layers to her game. But Serena as a player is big serve or big return and then big second or third shot.

Also Osaka's playing like Serena but a lot worse.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
You still fail to explain how Serena reached 4 Fs and 2 SFs after coming back from pregnancy. Doesn't matter that she's the greatest, she was playing nowhere close to that level. Don't have to be GOAT level to move through these Slam draws on the regular.
So I'm assuming your argument is that Serena post baby would never be as competitive with the peak Serena/ Venus/ Clijsters/Henin era? I get it, and you won't like my answer. As there is no way to compare this once in a lifetime player with anyone else, I simply chose to leave her out of the discussion. So the simple answer dude is that Serena is an outlier. Now she did not WIN any of these tourneys right? Her only tournament victory since returning I believe has been Auckland? 2020....a 250 event. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
20,585 Posts
So I'm assuming your argument is that Serena post baby would never be as competitive with the peak Serena/ Venus/ Clijsters/Henin era? I get it, and you won't like my answer. As there is no way to compare this once in a lifetime player with anyone else, I simply chose to leave her out of the discussion. So the simple answer dude is that Serena is an outlier. Now she did not WIN any of these tourneys right? Her only tournament victory since returning I believe has been Auckland? 2020....a 250 event. Correct me if I'm wrong.
On a separate note, if you think 2021 is so wonderful, what was the worst season for you, considering you’ve been following the WTA since the 70s.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Definitely didn't win since she came across players with a good level that mentally could put it together. Actually my argument is opposite. It's that Serena is moving through these draws not playing anywhere close to her best. There's no excuse why other top players can't do the same. It isn't like you can only get to the latter stages by playing GOAT Serena level. Serena's doing it whilst not being anywhere close to that level. Mentally the top players are just not as strong.

Serena's tennis-level 2018- is not an outlier compared to the others and can be replicated.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
On a separate note, if you think 2021 is so wonderful, what was the worst season for you, considering you’ve been following the WTA since the 70s.
I don't look at it like that....what was the best year, what was the worst. I admired Martina and Chrissy and the fight of BJK. First match I ever watched was her playing that clown Bobby Riggs. With the emergence of Steffi/ Monica/ Lindsay/'Hingis leading to Serena/ Kim/ Justine/Venus....there was always great players around.....but the depth just isn't what is today down to top 100 or so....and no one can convince otherwise. I like the overall improvement in play earlier in tourneys.....which make it more enjoyable to watch. So it's not about "best year" or "worst year" at all, those are simply labels.

·
Registered
20,585 Posts
I don't look at it like that....what was the best year, what was the worst. I admired Martina and Chrissy and the fight of BJK. First match I ever watched was her playing that clown Bobby Riggs. With the emergence of Steffi/ Monica/ Lindsay/'Hingis leading to Serena/ Kim/ Justine/Venus....there was always great players around.....but the depth just isn't what is today down to top 100 or so....and no one can convince otherwise. I like the overall improvement in play earlier in tourneys.....which make it more enjoyable to watch. So it's not about "best year" or "worst year" at all, those are simply labels.
Ok fine, but was there a period of months / years you didn’t enjoy as much as others?

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Ok fine, but was there a period of months / years you didn’t enjoy as much as others?
Not really....No. but I will say that I loved watching peak Clijsters/Henin/Serena/Venus. I always thought that Justine was the best pure player I ever watched, a true artist....who simply did not have the power of the other top girls. And as great as she was I was never a big Seles fan, I just didn't like watching her, with the two handed FH and screaming. Same for Graff and Sharapova, they was never one of my favourites. I also thought Hingis to be overrated TBH. Chrissy, Davenport, Henin, Clijsters, Serena were my faves from times gone by, just personal preferences.

But the last 5 years or so has been my favourite time as the tourneys are more interesting with overall higher quality earlier in tourneys....you never know who will be in the Final...unlike years ago. Of course I jumped on the Genie train and that has only gotten bigger with now Bianca and Leylah of late. Now can Fernandez keep playing like this? Time will tell, as countless promising young players come and go, injuries or whatever., and I certainly hope Raducanu will be good, she has a beautiful looking game. Andreescu I am convinced will be VERY good if she stays healthy. Also players like Pegula, Brady, Krecjikova and others are showing you don't need to win by 18 -20 to have a successful career. The girls are taking other routes to success, and getting there a few years later......all good.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Definitely didn't win since she came across players with a good level that mentally could put it together. Actually my argument is opposite. It's that Serena is moving through these draws not playing anywhere close to her best. There's no excuse why other top players can't do the same. It isn't like you can only get to the latter stages by playing GOAT Serena level. Serena's doing it whilst not being anywhere close to that level. Mentally the top players are just not as strong.

Serena's tennis-level 2018- is not an outlier compared to the others and can be replicated.
I think that is accurate....so I get your point, the other players not as mentally strong as Serena, part of the package right?Are the players today as mentally strong as previous eras to win? Probably not.....as with more money out there, they don't need to be. Good point. Serena is a "hold over" from that era and is naturally mentally stronger....which is what carries her through. OK....fair enough.

·
Registered
398 Posts
2018-21 era is my fave since Henin was #1 and chose to prematurely retire. That kicked off an era of slamless/dodgy #1s, then Serena domination, and it was a relatively lacklustre decade for the wta in all honesty. 2021 was also obviously an improvement on 2020, the very previous pandemic-addled year. Even if the rivalries remain pretty elusive for now, I feel the wta is in a good place right now, and has been more intriguing than the ATP in recent years (whereas a decade ago the ATP had big 4/little 4 + Stan/Cilic/Kei/Soderling/etc).

There is also increased difficulty for an Olympics year to be a worst year.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
2010 was much worse, there´s no comparison really, then there was 2015 and 2012 also terrible seasons for the WTA in terms of competition and not to mention the 2018 and 2019 seasons.

·
Registered
20,585 Posts
2018-21 era is my fave since Henin was #1 and chose to prematurely retire. That kicked off an era of slamless/dodgy #1s, then Serena domination, and it was a relatively lacklustre decade for the wta in all honesty. 2021 was also obviously an improvement on 2020, the very previous pandemic-addled year. Even if the rivalries remain pretty elusive for now, I feel the wta is in a good place right now, and has been more intriguing than the ATP in recent years (whereas a decade ago the ATP had big 4/little 4 + Stan/Cilic/Kei/Soderling/etc).

There is also increased difficulty for an Olympics year to be a worst year.
Did you mean 2008-2011?

181 - 200 of 212 Posts