Tennis Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,246 Posts
^^ Azarenka post-match interview : "just happy to pull it cause it was tough conditions today : many ue from both of us, not a very good match at all today" (shaking her head, ashamed)

At least she's lucid.
It wasn't a very good match, no. I just wanted to make an example why moonballing can be a good tactical option.

·
Registered
16,039 Posts
I know and Vika wasn't totally hopeless in trying but when you can't master a tactic yet maybe it's better not to use it.She's just lucky to play against a disconnected Kaia today.

·
Premium Member
7,246 Posts
I know and Vika wasn't totally hopeless in trying but when you can't master a tactic yet maybe it's better not to use it.She's just lucky to play against a disconnected Kaia today.
Well, let's say that training makes a master. I for one am glad to see Vika trying different things on the court. It makes her much more of an interesting player.

·
Registered
16,039 Posts
Well, let's say that training makes a master. I for one am glad to see Vika trying different things on the court. It makes her much more of an interesting player.
You're probably right.It's just that...I don't know, Vika's game has no impact on me, even when she's trying to use her brain a bit so I find all the hype a bit annoying.I'm just biased probably (but this match still sucks :p).

·
Premium Member
7,246 Posts
You're probably right.It's just that...I don't know, Vika's game has no impact on me, even when she's trying to use her brain a bit so I find all the hype a bit annoying.I'm just biased probably (but this match still sucks :p).
And what game do you prefer? I don't even know who are your faves, though I remember you were rooting for Mauresmo in Fed Cup.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Vika has said she wants to be more complete. I like that she is trying. For me today, it wasn't her different tactics that made the match bad, it was her bad UEs (and Kanepi's as well) at times she should just keep the ball in or hit a winner. She had some nice drop shots and wanted to approach the net. She just had a very bad day IMO. Lucky for her, so did Kanepi.
The way Vika behaved on court should tell people that she was very much aware of how badly she played. She threw her racket several times and stomped. She wanted to do better, but just couldn't produce today. She won ugly.

·
Registered
16,039 Posts
And what game do you prefer? I don't even know who are your faves, though I remember you were rooting for Mauresmo in Fed Cup.
I prefer players who keep the ball in play and construct points instead of going for the hit or miss each time.And I like variety (like Amelie's game but Amelie knows how to use it, most of the time :tape:).
Actually I like a lot of different games/players (I loved watching Seles or Pierce for example)but personality plays a part (obviously Azarenka has some game but not enough for me, especially if you look at what she brings on court, personality wise).

I like Jelena's game, even if some things annoy me and I think she brings excitment to a match most of the time.Same with Serena's game when she's on but I often roots against her for other reasons.
I like Daniela's game too when she shows what she's capable to do but she doesn't fight enough imho.
Some other players, I don't like their game or they bored me but I can respect the work (like Safina).

(just realized that this post is a mess but I had no sleep sorry :help:)

·
Premium Member
7,246 Posts
But you see, Vika actually tried to construct points today. She isn't powerful like f.o. Lisicki who can hit winners from virtually any part of the court, so she has to work the ball a bit more. Unimaginative people will say she is a brainless ballbasher; ballbasher she may be (almost everyone on top of women's game is anyway) but surely not utterly brainless. As for her persona, I saw her in Prague last year and she was downright scary, making big moves and shouting at ballkids :lol: but she will mature. Though I personally don't mind players displaying anger, actually it was quite funny.

As for my personal preferences, obviously I like Hantuchova, her elegant ladylike game is quite rare on WTA nowadays. She's my only real favourite. I root for other female players too due to various reasons (Czech nationality, nice game, legs and so on), but to be honest if I want to watch good tennis I am much more likely to watch an ATP match. Girls are just too one-dimensional and I can get bored quickly. This Martinez-Sanchez however looks like a very interesting player despite her uselessness off the ground. Poor Safina, she probably never encountered someone like her before. :lol:

·
Registered
16,039 Posts
But you see, Vika actually tried to construct points today. She isn't powerful like f.o. Lisicki who can hit winners from virtually any part of the court, so she has to work the ball a bit more. Unimaginative people will say she is a brainless ballbasher; ballbasher she may be (almost everyone on top of women's game is anyway) but surely not utterly brainless. As for her persona, I saw her in Prague last year and she was downright scary, making big moves and shouting at ballkids :lol: but she will mature. Though I personally don't mind players displaying anger, actually it was quite funny.

As for my personal preferences, obviously I like Hantuchova, her elegant ladylike game is quite rare on WTA nowadays. She's my only real favourite. I root for other female players too due to various reasons (Czech nationality, nice game, legs and so on), but to be honest if I want to watch good tennis I am much more likely to watch an ATP match. Girls are just too one-dimensional and I can get bored quickly. This Martinez-Sanchez however looks like a very interesting player despite her uselessness off the ground. Poor Safina, she probably never encountered someone like her before. :lol:
Same here but in the same time I'm kinda addicted to women's tour.I find interesting to watch how players are evolving (or struggling to do it)over the years.For example I'm curious to see if a player like CSN can reach the next level or not.
I agree on Azarenka (she's not a brainless ballbasher but I just can't feel anything when I'm watching her).Maybe she'll grow on me with the time who knows.

As for Safina :lol: Just got broken in the 2nd set and it's funny to see her struggling with Martinez's game.

·
Registered
16,039 Posts
You're so mean :sad:
I was in bitching mode :eek:(but not far from the truth apparently cause even Vika in her press conf had no idea why Kanepi played like a moonballer today, and didn't know either why both made so many errors today.She was surprised but had no explanation). I don't even know what Kanepi "thinks" about her match :p)

·
Registered
14,863 Posts
Worst match of the year
Very true up until those last 3-4 games in which Azarenka finally realized she only needed to keep the ball in play. From then on, at least one of the players seemed to have an idea of what she was doing.

I hadn't seen such woeful tennis at this level since Rome 2006 (Clijsters vs Morigami and above all Myskina vs Vinci).

But year after year Rome provides us with horrible tennis (not to mention extremely sparse crowds and lack of atmosphere). It has been the worst upper tier tournament of the year for the last four seasons. I can't just be a coincidence.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts