Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you probably no Ana and Safina have lost to players ranked 30+ rankings this week. But who is the biggest choker in tennis???

Reactions: bad_angel_109

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
:rolleyes:

Do I need to mention examples... :help:

·
Premium Member
36,826 Posts
Dementieva
Kuznetsova
Hantuchova
Cornet
Petrova

·
Registered
12,939 Posts
My god how easily we forget does the name Jana Novotna ring a bell? She was what choking was all about ie you are beating the crap out of your opponent if you continue playing like that you've won the match then you peer out of your bubble from a 5-0 40-0 lead in a final set and manage somehow to lose the match.

Here's the article:

4. 1995 third round: Jana Novotna v Chanda Rubin
Jana Novotna could stage her own competition for "choking" matches, but this occasion - and not the more infamous 1993 Wimbledon final against Steffi Graf - would prove unbeatable.
In a third-round match at the 1995 French Open, Novotna, a genuine and decent competitor, met American Chanda Rubin.
Not again Novotna: Jana cracks under the pressure

Novotna struggled to establish a 6-7 (8-10) 6-4 5-0 lead in an already-intriguing match. With Rubin serving at 0-5, the Czech then secured three match points at 0-40 on Rubin's serve.

Novotna could have played all day and night and she still would not have been able to close out the match.
Rubin saved the match points, then saved another six before emerging victorious 8-6. Novotna cried out in anguish and shed tears of desperation.
It made for unpleasant viewing but, from 0-5 0-40 down, Rubin had achieved the ultimate comeback.

Reactions: Miranda

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
My god how easily we forget does the name Jana Novotna ring a bell? She was what choking was all about ie you are beating the crap out of your opponent if you continue playing like that you've won the match then you peer out of your bubble from a 5-0 40-0 lead in a final set and manage somehow to lose the match.

Here's the article:

Jana Novotna could stage her own competition for "choking" matches, but this occasion - and not the more infamous 1993 Wimbledon final against Steffi Graf - would prove unbeatable.
In a third-round match at the 1995 French Open, Novotna, a genuine and decent competitor, met American Chanda Rubin.

Novotna struggled to establish a 6-7 (8-10) 6-4 5-0 lead in an already-intriguing match. With Rubin serving at 0-5, the Czech then secured three match points at 0-40 on Rubin's serve.

Novotna could have played all day and night and she still would not have been able to close out the match.
Rubin saved the match points, then saved another six before emerging victorious 8-6. Novotna cried out in anguish and shed tears of desperation.
It made for unpleasant viewing but, from 0-5 0-40 down, Rubin had achieved the ultimate comeback.
OMG :rolleyes: :lick:
Novotna :help:

·
Administrator
29,097 Posts
Noone comes close to Novotna,although Sabatini also had a few horrors.

93 RG 61 51 against Mary Jo :help:
95 Miami 61 51 against Date :help:

·
Registered
10,761 Posts
Bye for sure - She's never won a match :eek:
I think you are being a little inconsiderate, she’s been plagued by injury, she is only allowed to play at certain tournaments, the WTA refuse to give her a wild card, her mother is an addict and her father is worse than Damir Dokic, she’s only liked by certain players of the WTA, I wouldn’t put her in the choker category.........just saying.

·
Registered
17,909 Posts
Sabatini and Novotna head the list, but Anna Kournikova was also terrible choker from age 17 or so onward. She set the gold standard of Russian choking that others can't hope to match. I remember her choking not just in singles but in big doubles matches (Roland Garros final with Hingis, against the Williams sisters) and even Mixed finals (Wimbledon, US Open). But in singles she was much worse; it became routine for her choke away 2-break leads in a deciding set.

Among today's players, Myskina at the Olympics against Henin and Hantuchova at Wimbledon against the hobbled Serena were pretty unforgettable. :eek:

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
Sorry, but Jana knocked herself out of contention when she won Wimbledon. It's unfair how a lifetime of failure can be undone by a single great accomplishment, but that's the way the cruel world works. Same for Gabby. That US Open title will forever mar her record. Anna K? Some fine chokes, but at the slam level she never really had the chance to choke on tennis' largest stage.

I'm afraid that leaves us with the obvious choice. A woman who's made 7 semis but still has no slam titles...

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

Here's the article:

ROTFLMAO! I remember that match vividly. It's like a comedy of errors but I really felt sorry for Jana. I would love to see that match again.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts