Tennis Forum banner

141 - 160 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
31,335 Posts
The WTA singles and doubles champions will win more prize money than the ATP champions?

The ATP singles champion will leave Cincinnati with about x11 more prize money than the 1R loser while the difference is x36 for the WTA. Women tennis is as top heavy as it gets.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
It’s not cranky. Could anyone possibly deny that the editors at NYT and Washington Post dislike Trump? But that isn’t the point. I don’t much care whether they do or don’t. And I don’t much care who is president of the US. I do care that anti-Trump commentators are pressuring the USTA to cancel tennis events even where the risk to public health is remote. In these cases it has nothing to do with health & safety and everything to do with politics.
Just for a moment imagine that you are right, but that something DOES happen at the US Open. What will the political optics of holding the event look like then? In case you hadn't noticed, pro-Trump commentators have also asked for tournaments to be cancelled. It's not just a one-way street.

They celebrate it when Ash Barty withdraws from the US Open because it lends credibility to New Zealand’s & Australia’s draconian approach to coronavirus.
Australia's approach to Covid-19 was nowhere near as "draconian" as New Zealand's. However, and notwithstanding that one has nothing to do with the other, which country's health system and economy are BOTH in better shape than the US? Gee, that would be New Zealand! And which are in better shape than the UK? Gosh, that's New Zealand as well. And where are large sports events being held, WITH crowds of tens of thousands of people? Wow, I never would have guessed that little ole New Zealand could do that as well! Proper lockdowns work - end of story. And yes, I know that different approaches have worked well in countries such as Taiwan.

We aren't perfect but, by concentrating on putting the health of our population before anything else, we've been able to come out of lockdown and get our economy going again. Of course plenty of businesses (especially in the tourism industry) have suffered badly, but overall we are in far better shape going forward than the vast majority of countries around the world, and in far better shape than even our most optimistic economists forecasted. And, in case you hadn't noticed, around 94% of those polled thought that our government have done a great job in fighting the pandemic.
They celebrate when sports events are cancelled in the U.S. because it reinforces their world-view that the U.S. is unsafe and that Trump‘s leadership has been poor. It has nothing do with the evidence or science.
Nobody celebrates "just because" events get cancelled, even if I agree with the bolded portion. I'm slightly happier about the US Open taking place with the way that the USTA is trying to ensure everyone's safety, especially since I have friends who will be playing in it. That doesn't mean that I'm thrilled about how the country as a whole is so disjointed and polarised about every issue under the sun that so many people can't even see the cliff to which they are edging ever closer.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
She's a sweet girl but nobody will miss her. I wonder if she'll even go to Roland Garros if she's worried about the pandemic...

·
Registered
15,678 Posts
I am quite surprised WTA didn't follow the route ATP took to address the lower players' concern over prize money.

It looks like WTA will just cut everyone down rather than just the top. Need to do a thorough calculation to figure out, though.

Interesting when you take the 30% into account. You can't even afford an international trip if you are losing in qualifying or doubles first round.

·
Registered
15,678 Posts
The WTA singles and doubles champions will win more prize money than the ATP champions?

The ATP singles champion will leave Cincinnati with about x11 more prize money than the 1R loser while the difference is x36 for the WTA. Women tennis is as top heavy as it gets.
Just did some calculations. Apparently ATP heard what the lower ranked players said, not so much for WTA.

Total prize money:
ATP Masters 1000 4,116,635
WTA Premier 5 1,950,079

Prize money reduced %:

ATP Singles
Winner 25.58%
Runner up 32.80%
Semifinals 42.86%
Quarterfinals 66.06%

R16 98.07%
R32 111.07%
R56 111.41%
(8.62% rather than 1.98% in comparison to Champion's purse)
Q2 149.32%
Q1 157.70%

WTA Singles
Winner 60.61%
Runner up 63.81%
Semifinals 69.19%
Quarterfinals 68.62%
R16 72.54%

R32 91.03%
R56 108.43%
(2.73% rather than 1.52% in comparison to Champion's purse)
Q2 70.10%
Q1 73.30%

Doubles follow a similar fashion for both so I won't list them here.

Ratio compare to previous round:

ATP Singles
W/RU +54.04%
RU/SF +49.21%
SF/QF +25.89%
QF/R16 +34.47%
R16/32 +68.58%
R32/56 +76.91%
R64/Q2 +95.00%
Q2/Q1 +89.26%

WTA Singles
W/RU +91.84%
RU/SF +102.4%
SF/QF +97.67%
QF/R16 +95.45%
R16/32 +54.93%
R32/56 +57.78%
R64/Q2 +151.7%
Q2/Q1 +57.84%

I don't think WTA prize $ distribution changed very much, so it seems like they just cut from all rounds to maintain similar distribution as before. ATP actually cut the majority of the prize money from QF and up so the increase is drastically less as you win more rounds in comparison to before (while points increase ratio remain the same).

·
Registered
21 Posts
It is a pretty sensible decision from Ash. She doesn't need the money, she doesn't need the ranking points and most of all she doesn't need the risk or the hassle. As for missing out on the opportunity to win a Slam I think Ash is the kind of player who would rather win Slams that don't have asterisks attached to them. Hence she has little to gain playing this event. I am sure Ash, like the rest of the tour is craving high level competition, but I don't think she is going to get it battling a bunch of out of practice players playing awkward circumstances at the US Open, or for that matter at RG.

Hopefully we get a vaccine sooner than later, at the moment the likelihood of a vaccine by the end of the year seems to be improving, and hopefully Ash gets the opportunity to compete against a full, world class field at the Australian Open next January.
Well good,could ya tell WTA we do need penalties ;ie rewards for those with the fortitude to show up,the Tours back on ,so why not the penalties and reward the players that show up,and maximize there rise ,so their fans get the enjoyment of their favs rise to stardom.Fans won't look back and say oh it's 2020 form dont matter they'll think it's great.Now the Tours back on and not suspended why pander to those that couldn't be bothered showing up or can't play withoutsome huge onterage of support team around them.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Maybe, just maybe, she doesn't want "extremely special treatment" and maybe, just maybe, giving the global warming circumstances we live in, she doesn't to fly in a private jet either. Good on her.
that all goes to my point though. she does not have the ultimate champion mindset. she allows other issues to interfere with her career. that's why she retired because she didn't like being away from home and why isn't desperate to get back on tour now. everyone seems to ignore that i've said multiple times that i respect her right to do whatever she wants and admire greatly the person she is. it doesn't change the facts though.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
So, you want someone who is #1 to be arrogant, narcissist, and self-centered? And the life around tennis, 24/7? Oh, okay.
it's got nothing to do with what i want. the original debate was around whether or not Ash will end up an all time great but everybody else seems to want to turn into some kind of emotive, principle based discussion. i haven't read the replies from from Baroness or AWonderfulKiwi given how tedious any discussion with them is. i shan't return to this thread :p :p:p

·
Registered
438 Posts
that all goes to my point though. she does not have the ultimate champion mindset. she allows other issues to interfere with her career. that's why she retired because she didn't like being away from home and why isn't desperate to get back on tour now. everyone seems to ignore that i've said multiple times that i respect her right to do whatever she wants and admire greatly the person she is. it doesn't change the facts though.
It's true Barty doesn't like being away from home, but she took a break from tennis because she was suffering from depression.

·
Registered
438 Posts
it's got nothing to do with what i want. the original debate was around whether or not Ash will end up an all time great but everybody else seems to want to turn into some kind of emotive, principle based discussion. i haven't read the replies from from Baroness or AWonderfulKiwi given how tedious any discussion with them is. i shan't return to this thread :p :p:p
Hold on, I thought I was the self-righteous one.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
We aren't perfect but, by concentrating on putting the health of our population before anything else, we've been able to come out of lockdown and get our economy going again.
To be fair Australia generally puts everything before the benefit of the general population... short term economic gains through out dated enviornmentally devastating means, inflated housing prices to be sold off as a commodity to foreign investors (me cough cough eat my dust renters!) The literal sell off of commodity and mining rights to the highest bidder, the transformation of higher education providing skills into an investment with a half assed promise of a lucrative job. Shit is bonkers.

If Australia was at all concerned with the general people it would be very different nation.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
To be fair Australia generally puts everything before the benefit of the general population... short term economic gains through out dated enviornmentally devastating means, inflated housing prices to be sold off as a commodity to foreign investors (me cough cough eat my dust renters!) The literal sell off of commodity and mining rights to the highest bidder, the transformation of higher education providing skills into an investment with a half assed promise of a lucrative job. Shit is bonkers.

If Australia was at all concerned with the general people it would be very different nation.
Ok so I am off topic... Australians should use their retirement payouts to buy houses, or at least put in a chuck in the deposit for the mortgage. I am eagerly waiting for a housing bubble to burst like in 2008, I was bit dumb not to buy more property than. I wonder if we will get our retirement funds after this COVID economic crisis. We should go the Australian route and not wait another 20+ years until you are 55-60, some companies would have declared bankruptcy and run away with pensions.

·
Registered
467 Posts
As rumors has been flying around, Svitolina and Andreescu are apparently not on the start list either...I am baffled on why players like Barty and Andreescu (reportedly not playing) are getting criticized for not playing in the US...during the pandemic, there are tons of reasons not to be there....it's their body, their health and their choice....the US in the last day just reported "a new stage of COVID-19" where there are places with large community spread...of course not everyone will want to go...or even should...

141 - 160 of 163 Posts