Tennis Forum banner

101 - 120 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
People are placed at higher risk of contracting coronavirus when traveling by air, despite air being filtered on planes. It is movement through airports which is potentially hazardous. Then you have to consider the health of her team. We don't know if they have any underlying issues, nor is it any of our business.
Ash made $10 million in prize money last year. she's worth at least $30-40 million. she's not flying cattle class and catching the subway into Manhattan. her whole team could obviously fly privately and avoid airports. she just isn't up for leaving Queensland which isn't great for the sport as the clear world number 1 but totally fine if that's what she wants to do. she has never had the mindset of doing whatever it takes to win. explains why she's such a great person but will probably not go down as an all time great.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ash made $10 million in prize money last year. she's worth at least $30-40 million. she's not flying cattle class and catching the subway into Manhattan. her whole team could obviously fly privately and avoid airports. she just isn't up for leaving Queensland which isn't great for the sport as the clear world number 1 but totally fine if that's what she wants to do. she has never had the mindset of doing whatever it takes to win. explains why she's such a great person but will probably not go down as an all time great.
I'm aware she can fly privately. Barty and her team are aware they can fly privately. That doesn't negate all the risks. And no, she doesn't have the mindset of doing whatever it takes. It's one of the things that makes her such a good person and has no bearing on whether she'll be an ATG.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
As I pointed out earlier in this thread, there are no direct flights from Australia to New York. The fact that she would have to traverse at least three airports on a trip from Brisbane to the Big Apple, with the attendant risks involved, would obviously play a part in whatever decision Barty reached.
see above. she has options to avoid all these challenges mere mortals face. she just isn't up for it.

as the top seed she would also be given extremely special treatment within the bubble no doubt.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'm aware she can fly privately. Barty and her team are aware they can fly privately. That doesn't negate all the risks. And no, she doesn't have the mindset of doing whatever it takes. It's one of the things that makes her such a good person and has no bearing on whether she'll be an ATG.
it significantly mitigates them to point most champions would see the opportunities over the threats. Ash is too nice to be an ATG. In reality she's 24 and only has a slam because she faced an incredibly weak field at RG. Bombing out to Riske, Wang and Kenin in the next 3 slams is reflective of where she's at. ie a great player in a weak period of the sport. The fact she was happy with an AO SF rather than devastated at missing a huge chance to win it pretty much says it all. I'm Australian and could not be prouder of what's she's achieved and the person she is. but i can also be objective about it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
it significantly mitigates them to point most champions would see the opportunities over the threats. Ash is too nice to be an ATG. In reality she's 24 and only has a slam because she faced an incredibly weak field at RG. Bombing out to Riske, Wang and Kenin in the next 3 slams is reflective of where she's at. ie a great player in a weak period of the sport. The fact she was happy with an AO SF rather than devastated at missing a huge chance to win it pretty much says it all. I'm Australian and could not be prouder of what's she's achieved and the person she is. but i can also be objective about it.
I also think the risks are minimal, but the decision is hers to make.

As to the rest of what you've written, I won't waste my time replying to your supposed objectivity which ignores the obvious.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I also think the risks are minimal, but the decision is hers to make.

As to the rest of what you've written, I won't waste my time replying to your supposed objectiviy which ignores the obvious.
yeah i said in my original post it was fine if that's what she wants to do.

good idea not wasting your time. focus on your spelling lessons and various self righteous rants.

·
Registered
438 Posts
yeah i said in my original post it was fine if that's what she wants to do.

good idea not wasting your time. focus on your spelling lessons and various self righteous rants.
You're sensitive for someone who's been quite vociferous. Thanks for pointing out that I missed a letter while typing though, that would have annoyed me if I noticed it later.

·
63,748 Posts
So much butthurt over one person 🤣🤣🤣

It's her choice. It's her life. And that's nothing wrong with it. If you don't care about her, why do you even care about her choices? 🙄

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Ash made $10 million in prize money last year. she's worth at least $30-40 million. she's not flying cattle class and catching the subway into Manhattan. her whole team could obviously fly privately and avoid airports.

see above. she has options to avoid all these challenges mere mortals face. she just isn't up for it.
Pray tell how she can fly privately and yet avoid airports? She may be able to avoid crowded airport TERMINALS in some places, but even the longest-range private jet would have to stop at least once for refuelling between Brisbane and New York (or Brisbane and anywhere in Europe), and she and her team couldn't stay on board while that's happening. Also, people get stressed on long-haul flights in large aircraft. I don't imagine that the thought of two or three flights of maybe 18 (or more) hours in total in a relatively small corporate jet, no matter how well-appointed, would thrill anyone.

Charter prices are around $AUS 7-10,000 an hour for a long range 12 to 20 seat jet. Of course she could afford it, but would she want to?

she just isn't up for leaving Queensland which isn't great for the sport as the clear world number 1 but totally fine if that's what she wants to do.
Exactly. It's her choice. Who cares what a bunch of disappointed fans want to see?
she has never had the mindset of doing whatever it takes to win.
That's rubbish, and you know it. She had a stellar junior career from about the age of 5, and she was mature enough to realise as a teenager that she would burn out if she didn't take a break from the sport. She went and played cricket at a reasonably high level and came back to tennis totally refreshed. Since then she's travelled all around the world, showcasing her pride in being Australian and promoting her country and her heritage in a way few others bother to do.
explains why she's such a great person but will probably not go down as an all time great.
Yes to the first part - as for the second, she's only 24. Give her a break!

·
Registered
37,356 Posts
Americans are dying at one person per minute and people are actually saying that Barty and other top players are “selfish” for not playing the USO? Don’t even get me started on how NY is so much “safer”, given it is logistically impossible to travel directly from Australia to NY without going through more infected areas of the US first. What is selfish in this situation is the USO refusing to cancel despite 150k+ Americans dying because they are too obsessed with money.

·
Registered
15,565 Posts
Americans are dying at one person per minute and people are actually saying that Barty and other top players are “selfish” for not playing the USO? Don’t even get me started on how NY is so much “safer”, given it is logistically impossible to travel directly from Australia to NY without going through more infected areas of the US first. What is selfish in this situation is the USO refusing to cancel despite 150k+ Americans dying because they are too obsessed with money.
It is possible ( Brisbane/Doha/NY)

Lol they ( French Federation, US...)are all obsessed with money . That’s why they (FFT, USTA)are not canceling ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
What exactly would the rationale be behind the USTA canceling the US Open because people are dying? Is a tennis tournament getting canceled going to resurrect all of the dead people?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Baby that is so last year. Everyone thought she would flop, she wouldn’t be dominate.

She did the exact opposite. Ya’ll just don’t care because she’s not some drama queen. She’s on court to win and then check out and have a life off court. Her game has all the right things to be a top 5 staple for most of her career and her ability to win when playing like garbage is astounding to me but also what champions do 🤷🏽‍♂️
Are you stupid?

Let's do the math since you are severely inadequate.

RG: 2000 points
Miami: 1000 points

That equals 3000 points she had to defend to keep number one. That also doesn't factor in the likelihood that Barty would flop and lose early in both. That also doesn't factor in that Kenin could have and probably would have won RG and Miami.

Your comment was strictly about her being able to have the luxury of choosing because she has so many points she was lucky not to defend and rankings were frozen.

You've been here since 2007 and you can't comprehend or rebuttal so you make it about something else.

I know your tactics. 😉😉😉😉 I see your ways.

Also, Ash Barty is just ain't it. No charisma, no personality, no looks...nothing. boring. Says a lot about you.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Are you stupid?

Let's do the math since you are severely inadequate.

RG: 2000 points
Miami: 1000 points

That equals 3000 points she had to defend to keep number one. That also doesn't factor in the likelihood that Barty would flop and lose early in both. That also doesn't factor in that Kenin could have and probably would have won RG and Miami.

Your comment was strictly about her being able to have the luxury of choosing because she has so many points she was lucky not to defend and rankings were frozen.

You've been here since 2007 and you can't comprehend or rebuttal so you make it about something else.

I know your tactics. 😉😉😉😉 I see your ways.

Also, Ash Barty is just ain't it. No charisma, no personality, no looks...nothing. boring. Says a lot about you.
Why are you so mad at Barty? She’s one of the few players that actually give Kenin’s Grand Slam draw some credibility lol.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
34,538 Posts

as the top seed she would also be given extremely special treatment within the bubble no doubt.
Maybe, just maybe, she doesn't want "extremely special treatment" and maybe, just maybe, giving the global warming circumstances we live in, she doesn't to fly in a private jet either. Good on her.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
34,538 Posts
The right decision.

When are people going to wake up? It's not just the playing, it's the travel, the airports, the planes, the cars and transport getting to and from the tournament, having to stay somewhere, eat, meet people, etc etc. And what about the people with the players? They have to go through all of that too.
You're free to spend the next 10 years in your closet. You're not free to force others to do so.
I'm sorry but I get a total disconnect between reading the 1st post and reading this response to it.

On the one hand it appears to me WhistleCleaner is doing no more than recognising Ash Barty's right to stay in Australia and quite legitimately pointing out the reasons that justify that decision.

Somehow on the basis of that he has been accused by vogus_emeritus of forcing people to live in their closet for the next ten years. I see absolute no way such a conclusion can be drawn. If anything WhistleCleaner is simply advocating a single person's right to make a decision. He is not telling anyone what to do, let alone forcing them (as if he was in a position of power to do that) and is simply saying all of us have a right to put our own safety first, and acknowledging the risks that currently exist on this planet. At no point is he telling anyone how they have to behave or how they should behave.

And where for goodness sake did this 10 year length come from? Absolutely ridiculous.

101 - 120 of 164 Posts