7. Bertens- NO
8. Bencic- NOT SURE
9. Serena- YES
10. Osaka- YES
Looks like Kerber &Goerges will not travel to USA

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes I saw the comment from Remko de Rijke. I am not sure when the list of participants will be released but I envisage there will be notable absences. I believe many were just waiting for the first big name to withdraw and more will follow, once this happens.
I don't get that logic. Surely if your personal benefit risk analysis is to go, shouldn't the withdrawal of one of your toughest rivals make you more and not less keen to go?

·
Registered
85,861 Posts
Why she withdrawn so early? Because she wants to put USTA in trouble..nothing will change, nobody in USA cares about that boring #1.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I don't get that logic. Surely if your personal benefit risk analysis is to go, shouldn't the withdrawal of one of your toughest rivals make you more and not less keen to go?
The logic is not wanting to be the first big player to withdraw. Many are "kicking their heels" about it. Time will tell I guess.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
34,538 Posts
It is a pretty sensible decision from Ash. She doesn't need the money, she doesn't need the ranking points and most of all she doesn't need the risk or the hassle. As for missing out on the opportunity to win a Slam I think Ash is the kind of player who would rather win Slams that don't have asterisks attached to them. Hence she has little to gain playing this event. I am sure Ash, like the rest of the tour is craving high level competition, but I don't think she is going to get it battling a bunch of out of practice players playing awkward circumstances at the US Open, or for that matter at RG.

Hopefully we get a vaccine sooner than later, at the moment the likelihood of a vaccine by the end of the year seems to be improving, and hopefully Ash gets the opportunity to compete against a full, world class field at the Australian Open next January.

·
Premium Member
27,189 Posts
It is a pretty sensible decision from Ash. She doesn't need the money, she doesn't need the ranking points and most of all she doesn't need the risk or the hassle. As for missing out on the opportunity to win a Slam I think Ash is the kind of player who would rather win Slams that don't have asterisks attached to them. Hence she has little to gain playing this event. I am sure Ash, like the rest of the tour is craving high level competition, but I don't think she is going to get it battling a bunch of out of practice players playing awkward circumstances at the US Open, or for that matter at RG.

Hopefully we get a vaccine sooner than later, at the moment the likelihood of a vaccine by the end of the year seems to be improving, and hopefully Ash gets the opportunity to compete against a full, world class field at the Australian Open next January.
Well said!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hopefully we get a vaccine sooner than later, at the moment the likelihood of a vaccine by the end of the year seems to be improving
If the coronavirus begins to mutate (and most likely it will), then there will be no vaccine for a long time, and in a good situation there will be those who will begin to adapt to the situation.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Seriously you don't have to respond to my posts cause you often twist what people said.
No, I don't (or, at least, I try not to). I respond to what people have written. Some people here (mostly those for whom English is their second or third language) write a post differently from how it should be constructed in English. Sometimes it doesn't matter because what they mean is still obvious, but other times it changes the meaning quite significantly. I'm not a mind-reader, so I can't always guess what they actually meant to write.
Barty can care about her health all she wants but she does not need to announce a month early that she is not playing.

I am saying she doesn't have to withdraw this early...but an official statement this early is not needed.
Thank you for the clarification, but I think this is actually a good thing. People (including the other players) now know that she isn't going, and can make arrangements accordingly (or change them if they need to).
What Barty doing is exactly a reason why WTA will be in deep financial trouble in the future, thought I am certain neither ESPN nor USTA cares unless it's Serena, Venus or Gauff telling the media now they are not playing.

Like I said before, I don't like late withdrawals from top players. However, at times like this, a such early withdrawal is simply not needed and actually hurting the tour.
Please explain how her withdrawal is hurting the tour, when poster after poster on this forum has said that nobody cares about Barty, even though she's the world's top player at the moment, and that the US Open only has a chance of being financially successful if Williams and Gauff turn up. Most tennis fans are surely aware that Covid-19 is continuing to sweep around the world, and that the remainder of this year's tennis calendar bears absolutely no relation to what has gone before.

I can't see them criticising Barty too much for putting her health as a higher priority in her life than travelling halfway around the world to a country ravaged by the worst health crisis in a hundred years. And before people jump on their keyboards to exclaim that New York is safer than most parts of the USA, a fact of which I'm well aware, please don't forget that you can't fly directly from Australia to New York.
Yes it's their decision but they don't have to tell this early.
I disagree. If they want to announce it this early, as several have now done, that's their choice.
These players need to realize ultimately their future is dependent on the tour as well, but maybe they already earned enough so they don't need to care that much.

We will see what happens when a realistic prize money reduction occurs. It's already starting with less spectators, but I don't think that is significant enough.
I think it's more a case of finding out what tournaments will actually take place, and that's something we really won't know for another two or three months. We have no idea yet how much harder Covid-19 will strike the world, and that's more important from a global perspective than worrying about whether or not sporting events will take place - no matter how much we want them to.

·
Registered
85,861 Posts
You wish! No matter who turns up, her 39 year old body is still going to have to work extremely hard to "get the job done."That I DO agree with.
This. She lost to HALEP on grass...nothing is guaranted at this stage of her career

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Don't blame her at all. The US is too f***ing backwards.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

Can you even imagine TF if Ash were to attend and win a USO with a depleted field after their incessant whining about her RG win? 😧

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I expected Halep and Barty to take the safe route. Nothing wrong with that
It will still be an excellent field and a very important tournament to bring the tours back
I'm fine with any player opting out. Its a personal decision
I don't know....a Grand Slam without Barty, Halep, Osaka and Andresscu plus only 5 of the top 10.........Osaka and Bianca are still unknown, but that's a massive drop.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Some of the people in here........i'm going to bump all of these threads in a few months. Like, it's TERRIBLE in the US and predictions call for it to get worse- so why in the world are people coming after Barty ( and Halep) for doing the smart thing.

How many more examples does TF, this country and even the world need to see before they realize that we must slow down and every silly, rushed or downplayed action gets it's turn.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think the organizers decided in vain to hold a doubles tournament. It has low popularity, but a large number of players will come.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The logic is not wanting to be the first big player to withdraw. Many are "kicking their heels" about it. Time will tell I guess.
You misunderstand me, the poster said that once Barty withdrew it would mean a rash of withdrawals were more likely. Why should it be so? Your point is that once a big player withdraws, it would make it more acceptable for other big players to withdraw. Why? The points have been frozen so there is no longer that disincentive to wait for others. Why should Barty's withdrawal precipitate Andreescu's, say, withdrawal? I hardly think that the WTA players are so organized as to be acting in concert to put pressure on the organizers. In fact, if I was doubting or kicking my heels, the more withdrawals happen, the more likely I would want to play

41 - 60 of 164 Posts