Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Many of these girls will fully deserve the reckoning they are going to receive in the coming years. A lot of them are spineless, ungrateful, naive, and unprofessional (which was evident before the pandemic). This is all in sharp contrast to the ATP where basically all of the top players, after obligatorily sharing some reservations, are committing to bringing their sport back. It's weird when you consider how much stronger a financial position the ATP is in compared to the WTA, you'd probably expect the situation to be the other way around with more ATP players showing reservations and WTA players desperate for tennis to get back started ASAP.

My guess is that the difference can be accounted for in the fact that the WTA is at the top of the women's sports ecosystem, which has bred a complacency and arrogance in many of the WTA players; whereas the ATP isn't near the top of the men's sports ecosystem, so the ATP players are aware of the precariousness of their sport even if they are in a much better financial position compared to their WTA counterparts.

I feel bad for the girls who are doing the right things, the girls in the future who would have benefited from a strong robust WTA, and the women from the past who will have to watch everything they've built crumble to pieces off the back of the most useless batch of top players this tour has ever seen.

·
Registered
15,678 Posts
I don't think USTA or ESPN cares about Barty's withdrawal. If anyone cares it may be WTA, but that's it.

Compare to other sports, top WTA players make enough money that they can forego these events. I understand US is not safe to travel and I am not looking forward to her going to New York base on what she previously said, but she could have withdrew later, not like a month ahead. In normal times I don't like late withdrawals but in times like this it's probably better for both parties.

These girls simply don't care.

Reactions: Sinjo and Wiggly

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Can't say I'm too shocked, it did seem like she was inclined not to play, especially being from Australia. But I'm still sad that I can't see Ash play for a while :( This USO is going to be weird.

It's a shame, she could have made a QF+ run and consolidated her #1 ranking :(

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
If she´s planning for the clay season and RG I think this was obvious from the start. It´s not big news since RG decided to eclypse the USO a couple of months ago it was expected that the USO if played would be a 2nd tier event to save some money and keep some people happy. If she´s planning to skip the entire season this is terrible news for tennis.

·
Registered
31,336 Posts
I don't think USTA or ESPN cares about Barty's withdrawal. If anyone cares it may be WTA, but that's it.

Compare to other sports, top WTA players make enough money that they can forego these events. I understand US is not safe to travel and I am not looking forward to her going to New York base on what she previously said, but she could have withdrew later, not like a month ahead. In normal times I don't like late withdrawals but in times like this it's probably better for both parties.

Most pro sports are team sports and you don't want to let your teammates down but I haven't seen many (multimillionaire) soccer, hocker or basketball players skipping matches or tournaments because of the coronavirus. The golfers are all playing too.

The women know they can rack up millions at the Slams as equal prize money isn't going anywhere even if they struggle to fill half the stadiums but they're playing with fire. A bunch of shy, unknown introverts that have been out of sight and out of mind for the last six months isn't what Steve Simons wants to sell to keep the sponsors happy.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Many of these girls will fully deserve the reckoning they are going to receive in the coming years. A lot of them are spineless, ungrateful, naive, and unprofessional (which was evident before the pandemic).
Who made you God, to decree what behaviour from some of the world's best players is or is not acceptable? Barty and Halep (and others) have decided that, based on the information they already have, and the way that Covid-19 is raging around the world (and ESPECIALLY in the USA), that they don't feel it's worthwhile travelling to New York because it may jeopardise their health. The WTA has said that, unlike normal years when it's compulsory to play the majors, nobody who withdraws from the US and French Opens will be penalised - which is as it should be in these uncertain times.

I applaud the USTA for trying to create the safest possible conditions for running the US Open, but that doesn't mean that I'm too thrilled about the gauntlet that players will have to run to get there (and then on, or back, to Europe). Much as I would love to see Barty and Halep playing in New York, it's THEIR decision to sit this one out - nobody else's, and certainly not some random poster on a fan forum.

I feel bad for the girls who are doing the right things, the girls in the future who would have benefited from a strong robust WTA, and the women from the past who will have to watch everything they've built crumble to pieces off the back of the most useless batch of top players this tour has ever seen.
Every single one of these players, whether or not they are going to the US Open, is doing the "right thing" as far as they are concerned, and it's not your place (or mine, or anyone else's) to judge them based on what YOU (or we) think is right.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Of course they care - about their health. That's why they've decided to withdraw. They don't have to care about anything or anyone else - it's THEIR health and future livelihood which they consider to be at stake, and that's a lot more important than going to the US Open JUST for some display of solidarity.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Most pro sports are team sports and you don't want to let your teammates down but I haven't seen many (multimillionaire) soccer, hockey or basketball players skipping matches or tournaments because of the coronavirus.
I notice you don't mention baseball, where the super-hyped opening has come to a shuddering halt because the Miami Marlins has at least 18 players and staff who have tested positive for Covid-19 in the last few days.

·
Registered
15,416 Posts
If she´s planning for the clay season and RG I think this was obvious from the start. It´s not big news since RG decided to eclypse the USO a couple of months ago it was expected that the USO if played would be a 2nd tier event to save some money and keep some people happy. If she´s planning to skip the entire season this is terrible news for tennis.
It illustrates the lack of authority in tennis with French Open doing whatever it wants without consequences . Now it is USO that’s in the way of a return....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
I notice you don't mention baseball, where the super-hyped opening has come to a shuddering halt because the Miami Marlins has at least 18 players and staff who have tested positive for Covid-19 in the last few days.
The MLB hasn't come to a halt yet, they're still playing a bunch of games every day; it's just the games involving the Marlins and one other team that have been postponed.

Unlike some other sports the MLB isn't doing a bubble which is risky when there's a lot of spread going on in the community. Wouldn't be shocked if it does get canceled. The players are going to have to be very disciplined. I'm curious what happened with the Marlins, an 18-person outbreak is pretty big and very unacceptable. Whatever they were doing so wrong needs to be found out so the other teams can not repeat those mistakes (if possible) if the league is going to continue as it is.

·
Registered
30,182 Posts
Most pro sports are team sports and you don't want to let your teammates down but I haven't seen many (multimillionaire) soccer, hocker or basketball players skipping matches or tournaments because of the coronavirus. The golfers are all playing too.

The women know they can rack up millions at the Slams as equal prize money isn't going anywhere even if they struggle to fill half the stadiums but they're playing with fire. A bunch of shy, unknown introverts that have been out of sight and out of mind for the last six months isn't what Steve Simons wants to sell to keep the sponsors happy.
Many of these girls will fully deserve the reckoning they are going to receive in the coming years. A lot of them are spineless, ungrateful, naive, and unprofessional (which was evident before the pandemic). This is all in sharp contrast to the ATP where basically all of the top players, after obligatorily sharing some reservations, are committing to bringing their sport back. It's weird when you consider how much stronger a financial position the ATP is in compared to the WTA, you'd probably expect the situation to be the other way around with more ATP players showing reservations and WTA players desperate for tennis to get back started ASAP.
In normal times I don't like late withdrawals but in times like this it's probably better for both parties.

I mean I get you're arguing from a WTA/financial point of view but seriously it's their decision. They're not ungrateful or naive or selfish. In case they are not actively trying to stop the WTA/ATP to resume in a TennisFed kind of way they can do whatever they want. They don't have to play when they don't feel comfortable. Obviously, it's the rich players that can afford that but that doesn't make their concerns less valid. But players have always been free in their choices in what they want to play, how much they want to play, when they want to retire. They of course have to live with the consequences but - I've said that before - unless someone actually complains about these consequences (e.g. prize money reduction) you can't call them out for that.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Why don't you call all the players up & tell them this, i'm sure they're really interested in your important and well-considered opinion.
Bitch, I'm American and proud of it but our country is effed up majorly right now. Social, political, health...it's about as messy as I've ever witnessed this once great country. That is not an opinion, that is an observation shared by many people all over the world and especially in the United States.

If you're name is Vogue due to Madonna, then I'm surprised. Madonna fans are woke.

Reactions: Perun

·
Premium Member
39,236 Posts
Much as I would love to see Barty and Halep playing in New York, it's THEIR decision to sit this one out
And it certainly shows a high standard of responsibility to me. To rely on your individual conscience and global awareness over your professional obligations, is what everybody should do.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Kiki Bertens said today that she probably won’t play, either
Yes I saw the comment from Remko de Rijke. I am not sure when the list of participants will be released but I envisage there will be notable absences. I believe many were just waiting for the first big name to withdraw and more will follow, once this happens.

·
Registered
15,678 Posts
Of course they care - about their health. That's why they've decided to withdraw. They don't have to care about anything or anyone else - it's THEIR health and future livelihood which they consider to be at stake, and that's a lot more important than going to the US Open JUST for some display of solidarity.
Seriously you don't have to respond to my posts cause you often twist what people said.

Barty can care about her health all she wants but she does not need to announce a month early that she is not playing.

I am saying she doesn't have to withdraw this early. There are times we have seen top players that we know simply won't show up and signed up for events. Barty has expressed her opinion in the past and many of us aren't surprised she won't show up, but an official statement this early is not needed.

Just,
don't
show
up!

What Barty doing is exactly a reason why WTA will be in deep financial trouble in the future, thought I am certain neither ESPN nor USTA cares unless it's Serena, Venus or Gauff telling the media now they are not playing.

Like I said before, I don't like late withdrawals from top players. However, at times like this, a such early withdrawal is simply not needed and actually hurting the tour.

I mean I get you're arguing from a WTA/financial point of view but seriously it's their decision. They're not ungrateful or naive or selfish. In case they are not actively trying to stop the WTA/ATP to resume in a TennisFed kind of way they can do whatever they want. They don't have to play when they don't feel comfortable. Obviously, it's the rich players that can afford that but that doesn't make their concerns less valid. But players have always been free in their choices in what they want to play, how much they want to play, when they want to retire. They of course have to live with the consequences but - I've said that before - unless someone actually complains about these consequences (e.g. prize money reduction) you can't call them out for that.
Yes it's their decision but they don't have to tell this early.

These players need to realize ultimately their future is dependent on the tour as well, but maybe they already earned enough so they don't need to care that much.

We will see what happens when a realistic prize money reduction occurs. It's already starting with less spectators, but I don't think that is significant enough.

Reactions: Saraya!
21 - 40 of 163 Posts