Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ash is so low key it doesn't even feel that impactful.

Despite her being the world number 1

World No. 1 Ash Barty will bypass next month’s US Open because of Covid-19 fears.
The French Open champion has agonised over the decision for months but with the entry deadline closing for a key lead-up event, Barty will remain at home.

“My team and I have decided that we won’t be travelling to the US for the Western and Southern Open and the US Open this year,” she said.

“I love both events so it was a difficult decision but there are still significant risks involved due to Covid-19 and I don’t feel comfortable putting my team and I in that position.

“I wish the USTA all the best for the tournaments and look forward to being back in the US next year.”

·
Registered
31,358 Posts
Feel sorry for Barty- this could have been her year to consolidate the World No 1 ranking and start a legacy...but like many people around the world opportunities were taken away. She can focus on her FO defence now...
It's pretty much safe unless Kenin or Pliskova win New York and Paris. Will the WTA start to count her weeks as the number one open whenever Palermo starts?

Again, as everyone else has said, the USTA and ESPN don't care as long as Serena and Coco Gauff in the draw.

·
Registered
113,568 Posts
I expected Halep and Barty to take the safe route. Nothing wrong with that
It will still be an excellent field and a very important tournament to bring the tours back
I'm fine with any player opting out. Its a personal decision

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
I was just going to say the same in reply to Guichard's post on the US Open thread. It's not ideal losing your (long time) #1, but it doesn't feel as big as it should to me.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
It's pretty much safe unless Kenin or Pliskova win New York and Paris. Will the WTA start to count her weeks as the number one open whenever Palermo starts?

Again, as everyone else has said, the USTA and ESPN don't care as long as Serena and Coco Gauff in the draw.
aka revenue making stars

·
Registered
15,495 Posts
I was just going to say the same in reply to Guichard's post on the US Open thread. It's not ideal losing your (long time) #1, but it doesn't feel as big as it should to me.
I am huge fan but with the state of the women game it is not big news .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Feel sorry for Barty- this could have been her year to consolidate the World No 1 ranking and start a legacy...but like many people around the world opportunities were taken away. She can focus on her FO defence now...
I'd be surprised if she plays in Europe. In spite of the French Open title, I don't think Barty is especially excited to play on clay., and given the way the points are going to work she basically doesn't stand to gain anything other than money, and I don't think she's hurting for that.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
It will still be an excellent field and a very important tournament to bring the tours back
The safe route that also fits their game. Halep's best surface is dirt and Barty won the FO last year and wants to defend.
Of course last year was weird with Barty whose best surface is grass and wins the FO, and
Halep whose best surface is clay and she wins the WO.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Ash is so low key it doesn't even feel that impactful.

Despite her being the world number 1
That's your personal opinion. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
345 Posts
the sAfE rOuTe = playing RG, where they've actually won in the past?

child please...if they were all scared of this pandemic, they'd stay home

·
Registered
13,765 Posts
I wouldn't either. The US is in a total shambles. It's completely insane and irresponsible that the US Open is even happening.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts