Registered
115,521 Posts
Serena will probably stop at NY and shut it down
Osaka probably will stay in Tokyo for sponsor work
I dont have a guess on Konta, she belongs there

·
Premium Member
4,781 Posts
For Naomi Osaka skipping Wuhan makes a lot of sense. She will be trying to win her Home Tournament the Week before Wuhan after falling short in the Championship Match two times.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Serena I get, even Osaka I get because Tokyo is the week before but Konta I really don't, it's a P5, and tends to historically be the least competitive tier 1 tournament of the season, so basically a great chance for her to grab a lot of point or maybe even a title. Most top players only go there for the money, saving themselves for Beijing the week after, so it really is a wasted opportunity for Konta, not going there.

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
No rush for those last minute Zhuhai and Shenzhen points?

·
Registered
38,323 Posts
Kerber's chance? :eek:h:

Reactions: d_b_prince

·
Registered
16,234 Posts
Serena never been there after the inaugural (2015)

Osaka will naturally be in Tokyo the week before,

Konta is the one who has no excuse.

·
Registered
21,478 Posts
Wuhan really is such a nothing tournament. Created to capitalise on Na Li’s fame (Who never played it, retiring right before the first edition), no history and slotted in right before PM Beijing. I do like the fast courts and past winners, but it doesn’t really have any identity.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Wuhan really is such a nothing tournament. Created to capitalise on Na Li’s fame (Who never played it, retiring right before the first edition), no history and slotted in right before PM Beijing. I do like the fast courts and past winners, but it doesn’t really have any identity.
Empty stands is a problem but I personally do like this event because of surface that rewards aggressive players. Very few tournaments left with fast surface. They have even ruined Cincy now. Pathetic.

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
Tennis season should end after the USO. We saw the Coco crowd in DC and Andreescu crowd in Toronto. No one is watching tennis in Wuhan, even if they made it free.
But stadiums are standing room only for badminton.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Skip is a major word for Serena. She doesn't go to Asia. Her season ends with US open. She is a part time player who rightfully is focused on the slams. That's her objective.

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts