Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Wow what a performance by the Chile goalkeeper today. She is amazing!
Yeah, that was spectacular... especially in the 2nd half where she was stopping shot after shot after shot.

:bowdown:

Reactions: stpaulifan

·
Registered
40,663 Posts
I know VAR is there to help but it’s slightly annoying me...

I feel for Nigeria they are playing for this point but it looks like they’ll loose it, all because of VAR... but that’s the way it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40,663 Posts
Also France only had once chance when Nigeria went down to ten... they were not that good...

·
Premium Member
11,638 Posts
Gutted for Nigeria.

I can't say I'm liking what VAR is adding, we are getting soft penaltys for kicking a ball at a arm when it;s in it's natural position when running, VAR not being used when SCotland have a penalty call and VAR doing everything to support the 'BIG' teams. France are bloody lucky with VAR so far.

Also these new rules, since when has grabbing and such been penalty's from a corner? I would bet they don't dare give such penalty's in the men's game, likewise the claism "arms in unatural positions" will be judged far less strictly in the en's game as well..

·
Registered
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Gutted for Nigeria.

I can't say I'm liking what VAR is adding, we are getting soft penaltys for kicking a ball at a arm when it;s in it's natural position when running, VAR not being used when SCotland have a penalty call and VAR doing everything to support the 'BIG' teams. France are bloody lucky with VAR so far.

Also these new rules, since when has grabbing and such been penalty's from a corner? I would bet they don't dare give such penalty's in the men's game, likewise the claism "arms in unatural positions" will be judged far less strictly in the en's game as well..
Yeah, that was heart-wrenching for Nigeria. They call the teenager keeper but they don't call any of the THREE experienced French players who ran early into the box, which is also supposed to be against the rules...

:ras:

·
Registered
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The Brazilians and Italians are now taking the pitch...

this "should" be a cracker of a match!

:cheer:

·
Registered
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Wow! The 2nd half of that Argentina/Scotland match was incredible... and bizarre.

Very entertaining, in any event.

You really have to feel for the Scottish lasses though :hug:

·
Registered
642 Posts
i'm glad i decided to watch that match instead of the England game, it was really strange and dramatic! very sad for Scotland tho

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I used to be a women’s football fanatic but my life has changed a lot in the last couple of years and I no longer have much time to follow it. With that said I can give my impressions...

The quarter-final between France and USA will definitely be a final before the final. The winner of this is heavily favored to win the tournament. I think Netherlands, England, Germany, Australia are all respectable underdogs but I don’t see any of those four teams beating either US or France. Netherlands is an emerging force, England is solid, Australia has also made massive improvements, but Germany has fallen is no longer the powerhouse.

I don’t think any other team has a chance of winning this tournament. Norway, Sweden, Japan, Spain, Canada, Brazil and Italy are all capable of an upset but none of these teams will be the last one standing. Japan is talented but will likely be more of a force at the next World Cup as their players are quite young. Most of the stars retired and virtually no one is left from the 2011 squad. Brazil is also talented but as a team they are just not a top threat. To me Canada is overrated, but I do think they will be a bigger threat in 2023. Norway and Sweden are strong. They can beat anyone on a good day but they cannot beat everyone. Spain and Italy have made strong improvements, Spain especially, but neither of these teams has a realistic chance of going all the way at this tournament. I think Spain will be a force in the coming years, Italy however I think just happened to have a really good game against Australia.

Regarding the Scotland penalty, I think it’s a shame because I feel Scotland deserved to be in the last 16. This WC has been particularly stingy with every detail and it almost seems to be too much. Remember Brianna Scurry 1999 PK save? She was a meter off the line. Anyways that’s another debate.

Also regarding the Thailand goal, that is a special moment but it is not their first goal. They beat Ivory Coast 3-2 at the last WC.

·
Registered
40,663 Posts
Cameroon, if they keep this result an African nation is through and that in my opinion is good for the World Cup!

·
Registered
40,663 Posts
OMG What a finish for Cameroon what a goal, she kept the ball and got round the New Zealand defence! What drama after the own goal! They do deserve it!

Interesting New Zealand have never won a group game!

·
Registered
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I didn't watch that Kiwi game because of course I was glued to the Canada-Netherlands tussle, which was quite good, with the Dutch winning 2-1 on a 75th minute goal where the keeper really played the angle badly.

In any event, we will now play Sweden, most likely, which is just fine. Should be a good match between two evenly matched sides.

Now I'm off to watch the 3rd set of the match between my boy and Kyrgios... has been good so far, with Nick doing his usual complaining :)

·
Registered
642 Posts
going to watch the 2 games today - Germany are one of i think only 3 teams i havent seen anything of this world cup

surely when/if any of the knock out games goes to penalties it wont be the same rules about the keeper coming of the line? if so it could go on for hours!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
surely when/if any of the knock out games goes to penalties it wont be the same rules about the keeper coming of the line? if so it could go on for hours!
What are you talking about? is this a women's football rule?

·
Registered
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
What are you talking about? is this a women's football rule?
Yeah, it's a new rule they've implemented for this World Cup and it's causing a lot of consternation...

not because it isn't a good rule but because it takes forever for them to set it up, it's ridiculous.

Germany is handling Nigeria fairly easily so far.

·
Registered
31,735 Posts
Seems they have changed the handball rule again. If you intentionally play the ball with your arm, it´s not a penalty. :rolleyes:

German team is getting worse every year. Very lucky draw.

41 - 60 of 177 Posts