Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Proud of my country :rocker: World cup only happens once every four years and for the women it's even more important for media coverage and sponsorships. I don't really see the problem :shrug:

·
Registered
13,073 Posts
Ouch. Probably not enough depth in Asia?
What happened to the North Korean team anyway? I remember they were quite good some years ago.

·
Registered
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I don't think the US should have eased up if they didn't want to , I'm sure that once the goals started flying in , all the American players wanted to get on the score sheet . The only reason that they may have wanted to ease up , would be to conserve energy .
Proud of my country :rocker: World cup only happens once every four years and for the women it's even more important for media coverage and sponsorships. I don't really see the problem :shrug:
I'm glad I don't know you people IRL...

I'm guessing you think murdering kittens is OK too, as long as it is for competition.

:ras:

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Is there a chance if the Chinese do well, the government will rein back on their women's tennis investment and concentrate on football instead? If so, give me a C, give me an H...

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
China has enough resources to invest in about 20 sports at the same time. It's not like football and tennis investment are mutually exclusive. The Chinese team peaked in the 90s though, they are a mediocre team these days.

This Norway-France match is much higher quality than any of the other matches I've seen so far.

·
Registered
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
China has enough resources to invest in about 20 sports at the same time. It's not like football and tennis investment are mutually exclusive. The Chinese team peaked in the 90s though, they are a mediocre team these days.

This Norway-France match is much higher quality than any of the other matches I've seen so far.
Yes, that was a very good match, even with the controversy.

... and of course, my German ladies won a tight match over Spain.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Oh come on, there's absolutely nothing wrong in making a lot of goals. Should a tennis player let the opponent win a game for pitty instead of doing a double bagel? Everyone wants to score and also to dispute the artillery. There's a lot to criticize about yankees, but not this.

People shitting on them for that probably don't watch football regularly.

The Krauts had and still have lots of respect for the Brazilian national team. But this didn't impede them of applying the most humiliation defeat to our country football's history.

A historical result is priceless in football.

·
Registered
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Oh come on, there's absolutely nothing wrong in making a lot of goals. Should a tennis player let the opponent win a game for pitty instead of doing a double bagel? Everyone wants to score and also to dispute the artillery. There's a lot to criticize about yankees, but not this.

People shitting on them for that probably don't watch football regularly.

The Krauts had and still have lots of respect for the Brazilian national team. But this didn't impede them of applying the most humiliation defeat to our country football's history.

A historical result is priceless in football.
Wow, talk about a completely false equivalence. First, that game had less than HALF the goal differential. Second, the "Krauts", as you lovingly call them, didn't have ridiculous goal celebrations after every goal. Third, the Brazilians, as you should very well know, are perfectly capable of scoring 4 or 5 goals very quickly, so they had to continue, the Thai team had no such ability and the Muricans knew this but still kept pounding away like an insane rapist.

I am very happy to see that your opinion is in the minority among the people who's opinion I respect.

p.s., I've seen classy players in tennis let up a number of times when humiliating an opponent, i.e., Fed, so I'm guessing you don't watch much tennis

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Wow, talk about a completely false equivalence. First, that game had less than HALF the goal differential. Second, the "Krauts", as you lovingly call them, didn't have ridiculous goal celebrations after every goal. Third, the Brazilians, as you should very well know, are perfectly capable of scoring 4 or 5 goals very quickly, so they had to continue, the Thai team had no such ability and the Muricans knew this but still kept pounding away like an insane rapist.

I am very happy to see that your opinion is in the minority among the people who's opinion I respect.

p.s., I've seen classy players in tennis let up a number of times when humiliating an opponent, i.e., Fed, so I'm guessing you don't watch much tennis

Respecting the sport is playing at your best with intensity. There's nothing worse when you are losing than to see your opponent taking it easy. From a guy who ate his fair share of bagels already.

You North Americans really don't understand football.

·
Registered
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
well, back to regular programming...

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
2-1 currently for Netherlands against cameroon, Netherlands again not at their great level but it's enough against a weak cameroon

best teams so far are Italy, USA for me personally

·
Registered
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So, I was thoroughly enjoying the Dutch play Cameroun today, when one of the ugly aspects of football raised its head... diving/simulation.

I've always hoped that the women wouldn't fall into this hole like the men have, which has ruined the men's game, imho.

Unfortunately, "some" of the women have embraced this embarrassing and unsportsmanlike conduct. The #7 for Cameroun on multiple occasions flopped around like a baby seal that had been shot by a cannon, all the while looking up to see if the referee was paying attention to her disgraceful display. Luckily, the ref was having none of it... so kudos to her.

Other than that, it has been an enjoyable match... 2-1 at present for the orange.

Of course, I'm really looking forward to the next match with our Canadian ladies taking on the Kiwis...

Go CANADA!!!!

:cheer:

·
Registered
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
2-1 currently for Netherlands against cameroon, Netherlands again not at their great level but it's enough against a weak cameroon

best teams so far are Italy, USA for me personally
Yes, the Italians have been surprisingly strong this year...

and it is now 3-1 for your team.

:)

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
3-1 end result, good win but still not onto the level what we can be at, but you grow in a tournament they say i guess

i am a fan of Jackie Groenen her playing style, that and she looks so gorgeous :hearts:

·
Registered
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
And Canada beats the Kiwis 2-0 on two lovely goals, especially the first one.

:cheer:

I do wish Sinclair would score some goals though. I really want to see her break the all-time record at these games :)

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
the match of canada - new zealand was a snooze though

still good win for canada, and new zealand can play for 3rd place against cameroon, and they need to work on some goals for, since that can make a difference for the best 4 numbers 3

·
Premium Member
11,638 Posts
Yes, the Italians have been surprisingly strong this year...

and it is now 3-1 for your team.

:)

Italy have surprised me, their women are technically superb and have a good sense of when to time their runs. Be interesting to see if they can do it against superior quality sides. Meanwhile the Dutch look like they are warming up nicely, the Swedish look like the team no one will really want to play against and England are already exerting all their energy in the group stages so the tanks will empty in the knockouts as usual.

21 - 40 of 177 Posts