Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No one watching this?

France easily ousted Korea in the opener and Germany barely made it past China just now.

I will of course be pulling for our Canadian beavers... and the representatives of the Deutscher Fußball-Bund.

:cheer:

Who will you be stanning for?

Reactions: eldanielfire

·
Premium Member
11,638 Posts
I'll be stanning for England. Though with so many current and ex-Arsenal players The Netherlands will deffo be my 2nd favourite and I genuinely think if they keep their energy up they can beat anybody.

Be good if FIFA can meet the aspiration of a billion viewers over the tournament. It being based in Europe should help and they had 750 viewers last time round. Women's football has become by far the biggest female sport in the world now. I don't think anything comes close.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'll be stanning for England. Though with so many current and ex-Arsenal players The Netherlands will deffo be my 2nd favourite and I genuinely think if they keep their energy up they can beat anybody.

Be good if FIFA can meet the aspiration of a billion viewers over the tournament. It being based in Europe should help and they had 750 viewers last time round. Women's football has become by far the biggest female sport in the world now. I don't think anything comes close.
I read some reports that there were over 9 million viewers in France , for the France - South Korea game , also 3 million in Germany for the same game .

·
Premium Member
11,638 Posts
I read some reports that there were over 9 million viewers in France , for the France - South Korea game , also 3 million in Germany for the same game .
Good stuff.

So far, all good by the European teams, although Germany seemed rusty. Italy, one of the weaker European sides, just equalised with Australia who are rated as more than dark horses for this world cup. You know the depth is high when teams like Denmark, Switzerland and Austria can't qualify. It has to be said, Europe looks like it is going to dominate Women's football in the next few years after strong North American showings for the past 20 years. With the traditional European men's superpowers like Spain, Italy, The Netherlands and England seriously investing on top of the Scandinavian sides, France and Germany who have been good for a while, with Europe's resources, and inherit footballing knowledge it will be hard to see otherwise.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think the fact that a lot of the big European clubs have now got a women's team has definitely helped the European nations , enabling
a lot of players to turn pro .

·
Premium Member
11,638 Posts
I think the fact that a lot of the big European clubs have now got a women's team has definitely helped the European nations , enabling
a lot of players to turn pro .
Indeed. Lyon leasing the way, though I'm really glad my Arsenal women have returned to the top in England have appear to be adding some serious quality for next season to challenge the best in Europe.

Meanwhile Italy 2-1 win with a last minute injury time goal against the Aussies.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Italy cause a small upset by scoring in the 95th minute to beat Australia . I think the Aussie player who lost possession outside her penalty area to give Italy their equalizer , must have been watching England's men against the Netherlands .

·
Registered
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The English really faded against the Scots in the 2nd half... they were a bit fortunate to get the win from the charging Scots.

And don't get me started on that penalty goal in the first half... :ras:

·
Registered
164 Posts
The English really faded against the Scots in the 2nd half... they were a bit fortunate to get the win from the charging Scots.

And don't get me started on that penalty goal in the first half... :ras:

I can't disagree with you there . I would have been disappointed if that penalty had been awarded against my team , but if that was a penalty that Brazil got against South Africa , then the England penalty was the correct decision.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Italy cause a small upset by scoring in the 95th minute to beat Australia . I think the Aussie player who lost possession outside her penalty area to give Italy their equalizer , must have been watching England's men against the Netherlands .
I watched the match (the first female football match I've watched in my life to be honest) and it didn't look like Australia was actually so much of a bigger side than Italy.
If we want to make a comparison with the men's game, I have to say that given the more "amateurish" and error prone level this kind of upset should probably be expected at some frequency, like what happens for example in WTA compared to ATP.

·
Registered
40,481 Posts
6.1 Million watched the England Scotland game yesterday, I really enjoyed South Africa v Spain, it was actually quite good.

·
Premium Member
11,638 Posts
I watched the match (the first female football match I've watched in my life to be honest) and it didn't look like Australia was actually so much of a bigger side than Italy.
If we want to make a comparison with the men's game, I have to say that given the more "amateurish" and error prone level this kind of upset should probably be expected at some frequency, like what happens for example in WTA compared to ATP.
Indeed. Italy and Spain have previously be behind the curve in the women's game, but Italy's passing, technical ability, team play and intelligence on offence looked world class against supposed world cup challengers Australia.

·
Registered
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

yes, Canaduh has scored against the Camaroonytoonies!!!! :cheer:

Just before the end of the 1st half

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Women's football the biggest women's sport in the world? What the hell. World Cup only happens once in 4 years, we need to evaluate the club level. I really doubt it is bigger than volleyball, not to mention tennis.

I had a friend who saw Brazil and Jamaica and he said that some years ago women's football needed to improve A LOT to be bad and that now, it is bad. I Don't enjoy it, but glad it is improving.

·
Registered
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sweden just beat Chile 2-0 after a long delay for torrential rain and thunderstorms :eek:

I felt sorry for the poor little Chileans since most of them only came up to the shoulders of the Swedes, which reminded me of this bit from Family Guy...

:eek:h:

·
Registered
12,923 Posts
13-0 USA over Thailand. Ouch. People are angry at the USA for continuing to try despite the big lead, but, they are professional athletes isn't it their job to play :shrug:

·
Registered
18,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That was really a despicable display from the Muricans, but typically expected. The over-the-top celebrations after EVERY goal were just sickening... the epitome of "the ugly American".

There wasn't even a reason to keep mounting up the goals since they had long ago had enough for any goal differential calculation, which they won't need anyway in that group.

Why don't they even have an inkling of what sportsmanship is? It is a sport they're playing after-all.

:ras:

They are getting absolutely roasted online, which they should.

Reactions: penkku

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't think the US should have eased up if they didn't want to , I'm sure that once the goals started flying in , all the American players wanted to get on the score sheet . The only reason that they may have wanted to ease up , would be to conserve energy .

1 - 20 of 177 Posts