Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What were the final official ratings for the French final in the U.S.??

I know the first U.S. Open final between the sisters drew great ratings in the primetime debut...what were the ratings for last year's final like?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wish I could tell you. I looked in the US Today newspaper everyday to find the rating. It probably was so low, sportwriters were too embarassed to report it. The sportwriters did not want to make the ALL Williams final shined.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I recall seeing someplace that the ratings were a 1.3 I don't remember the source though. Sorry.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
MR, someone reported that on the ESPn messageboards...an hour or two *before* the finals.... :rolleyes:

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
http://tv.zap2it.com/news/ratings/sports/030601sport.html

Women's 2003 French Open 4th Rd: 1,589,000
Men's 2003 French Open 4th Rd: 2,009,000

2001 US Open QF | Sampras v. Agassi 3,400,000
1999 US Open F | S Williams v. Hingis +3,000,000

They say the highest rated tennis program in the USA was the 2001 US Open QF for Sampras/Agassi for the men.... and the 1991 US Open Women's Final Seles/Navratilova for the women. But no numbers given.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well, to be fair, the final was on at 9 am--people are hardly up, let alone watching tennis on TV. Any show in primetime will get bigger ratings than in the morning or afternoon. People in the US are generally more interested in events being held in the country (like the US Open) and being contested by Americans. And Kim and Justine are relatively unknown to Americans who aren't big tennis fans. So it's to be expected that the numbers were low.

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
peridotpixie.....Kim and Justine are relatively unknown to ANYBODY whos not a tennis fan outside of Belgium....thats just the way it is

·
Registered
404 Posts
That's true, SerenaJwilliams...but as I live in the US, I felt I'd better stick to that. I'd guess some Europeans--Germans, French, maybe Dutch--know of them fairly well.
When I was at the US Open last year I was asking an usher about who was signed up to practice on Armstrong. I asked about Roddick, Hewitt, the Williams, and Seles, and he knew all of them. Then I asked about Kim Clijsters, and he said "who?" So I repeated the name, and he said, "I don't know if he's signed up today." Yes, he. That was not a typo.
I think that story is pretty telling.

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
I thought 1.5 was very decent. It drew better than Clijsters/Capriati in 2001 (Of course, that was on tape delayed)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, these ratings are probably a good indication of who the "real" tennis viewers are in the US. It wasn't based on media or hype, for once. But yes, Saturday morning TV watchers usually only consist of kids and their cartoons.

Of course, if this was New Year's, and it was all the college football bowl games, the ratings would have been different. But, alas, 1) it was the French Open (and we know how the crockety "anti-French" sentiment is these days, not to mention the actual time zone difference), 2) it was Saturday morning, 3) there was no necessary cheesy documentary with soaring orchestral music proclaiming the grandiosity that is American women's tennis. Thank goodness.

Given those 3 circumstances, I'm merely grateful NBC decided to even air the French Open finals. Who knows what to expect these days? When it comes to non-American players and tennis, I always expect the worst. Call me pessimistic, but you can also call me programmed-to-be-undemanding. :)

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
ksgyh said:
Well, these ratings are probably a good indication of who the "real" tennis viewers are in the US. It wasn't based on media or hype, for once. But yes, Saturday morning TV watchers usually only consist of kids and their cartoons.

Of course, if this was New Year's, and it was all the college football bowl games, the ratings would have been different. But, alas, 1) it was the French Open (and we know how the crockety "anti-French" sentiment is these days, not to mention the actual time zone difference), 2) it was Saturday morning, 3) there was no necessary cheesy documentary with soaring orchestral music proclaiming the grandiosity that is American women's tennis. Thank goodness.

Given those 3 circumstances, I'm merely grateful NBC decided to even air the French Open finals. Who knows what to expect these days? When it comes to non-American players and tennis, I always expect the worst. Call me pessimistic, but you can also call me programmed-to-be-undemanding. :)
that is true, but I think when it comes to certain players, like Venus and Serena, when people find out they are playing eachother, or they are in a match, some non tennis fans just like to watch them play. i know i have a hell a lot of family that tells me to call them when venus or serena are on. they get a kick out of them playing. they can't stand to watch anyone else. they claim it is very noticable that athletically they are not where near venus and serena, and if they loose, its mainly b/c of venus and serena. they really trip on they errors. i had a cousin once break his big screen over a serena error. anyway. i think venus and serena draw crowds outside of tennis more than anyone else these days. that helps a lot, seeing the fact that ratings say 3-4 year ago weren't even close to what they are today.

Its just the "people knowing who they are" factor about ratings. it really doesn't mean much. although it does determine what type of tv viewing we will get the following year :)

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
Peridotpixie said:
That's true, SerenaJwilliams...but as I live in the US, I felt I'd better stick to that. I'd guess some Europeans--Germans, French, maybe Dutch--know of them fairly well.
When I was at the US Open last year I was asking an usher about who was signed up to practice on Armstrong. I asked about Roddick, Hewitt, the Williams, and Seles, and he knew all of them. Then I asked about Kim Clijsters, and he said "who?" So I repeated the name, and he said, "I don't know if he's signed up today." Yes, he. That was not a typo.
I think that story is pretty telling.
yea i can understand u only wanting to talk about the US. but as a European i must admit, my friends (not tennis fans by ANY means) know only who the Willies (Wimbledon triumphs and the media here are so far up their asses) Seles (legend..and stabbing...and tabloids for Monic-ugh) Hingis (legend...so young....comments) Kournikova (who doesnt ;)) and maybe even Jennifer (drugs ;)) and Linzi (wimbledon) are.

i think if u told them the #2 and #3 players in the world were Clijsters and Henin, they WOULD ask "who?"

most ppl still think the Willies are 1 and 2 ;)

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,894 Posts
um those were the ratingd for the weekend of the 31rst and June 1rst. That wasn't the final weekend.

The finals were 7th and 8th of June?? The ratings are not up yet. :sad: :sad:

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Here's a quote by Jon Wertheim that I thought might be interesting:

Question:I've heard a lot of people complain that American TV's coverage of the French Open seemed to concentrate almost exclusively on American players, especially on the men's side. I'm sure that the TV networks would suggest people prefer watching U.S. players, and the popularity of women's tennis (as opposed to men's) in the U.S. would seem to prove this. But is it a vicious circle? Is there little coverage of foreign players because there is no interest in them, or no interest because there is little coverage?
—Craig Michaelson, Portsmouth, England

Agree, agree, a thousand times agree. The vast majority of people who watch tennis at noon on a Tuesday (on a cable network, no less) are going to be serious, well-informed fans. It is an insult to show them, say, James Blake playing Taylor Dent or Capriati beating some qualifier when infinitely better matches are going on. It's totally a vicious cycle (or a "viscous cycle," as Serena called it last week.) The networks and USTA suits conspire to shove Harkleroad and the like down our throats; then, when superior players like Vera Zvonareva and Nadia Petrova make the latter rounds of tournaments, viewers tune out because "unknown foreigners" are playing. I should add that Sports Illustrated is guilty of this, too. I know that if Agassi or the Williams sisters make the final, my story will get more space than if -- just to pick two names at random -- Ferrero and Henin-Hardenne win.

Here's some advice we could all stand to follow: SELL THE TENNIS. If you just do the honest thing and cover the most compelling tennis (nationality and personality of the players be damned), it's best in the long run. You might sacrifice ratings in the short term -- why are you giving me Gonzalez and Coria when Agassi is playing? -- but it is imperative to impress upon Americans fans that players who happen to hail from other countries are worth watching.

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
GODDAMN he should stop complaining! the US have a lot of talented players and the networks are within their rights to show them! if i get Henman and Rusedeski shoved towards me @ every opportunity because YES some (stupid) Brits enjoy watching them play, then im sure some Americans would prefer watching an up and coming young American like Harkleroad over Zvonareva

the fact is, a lot of non Americans lack personality and i would prefer to watch Capriati curse than some unknown :D

note to Jon: personality sells :D

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
I am not surprised that the ratings for this year's French Open for the women were low, but the live telecast wasn't an excuse. The Wimbeldon women's final was live last year and I think it got better ratings.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I believe the reason the threader started this thread about the rating for the women final is that everyone did not want to watch a Lier and Cheater (especially Serena FANS).

The reason I did not watch it because Justin had no sportmanship. If she had won or beat Serena fair and square, I would have watched the final.

I used to like Justin but to do what she did by not coming forward and letting the empire know that she did put her hand up, I didn't want to watch her play. She should have came to the net on her side and had the empire called a let and allowed serena a first service.

Justin has disrepected the game of tennis and her integrity has be damaged.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts