Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let's breakdown the top ten of women's tennis. This thread is about keeping it real, no BS.

If the Williams sisters are healthy and playing they are the two best players. No one in the world can match them, but the other one. Right now Serena has the mental edge over Venus. Serena is the dominant player on tour. Clijsters and Henin are great players, but are not yet on the level of the Williams sisters. Henin right now IMHO is a level above Clijsters because she has found her mental toughness, she has defeated top players in the big matches at a Grand Slam. Davenport, Capriati, Mauresmo, and Rubin are very good players, but are longshots to win a slam right now. Hantuchova and Myskina are a long way from challenging the top although holding the #9 and #10 rank.

In a nutshell:

Tier 1: Serena
Tier 2: Venus
Tier 3: Henin, Clijsters
Tier 4: Davenport, Mauresmo, Capriati, Rubin
Tier 5: Hantuchova, Myskina

I think anyone who is realistic will agree. If you disagree, post your honest views here.

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
Knizzle said:
Let's breakdown the top ten of women's tennis. This thread is about keeping it real, no BS.

If the Williams sisters are healthy and playing they are the two best players. No one in the world can match them, but the other one. Right now Serena has the mental edge over Venus. Serena is the dominant player on tour. Clijsters and Henin are great players, but are not yet on the level of the Williams sisters. Henin right now IMHO is a level above Clijsters because she has found her mental toughness, she has defeated top players in the big matches at a Grand Slam. Davenport, Capriati, Mauresmo, and Rubin are very good players, but are longshots to win a slam right now. Hantuchova and Myskina are a long way from challenging the top although holding the #9 and #10 rank.

In a nutshell:

Tier 2: Venus
Tier 3: Henin, Clijsters
Tier 4: Davenport, Mauresmo, Capriati, Rubin
Tier 5: Hantuchova, Myskina

I think anyone who is realistic will agree. If you disagree, post your honest views here.
Very nice said....that´s the way it is and will be for quite some time.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
The three of them are well below Serena whether or not Venus fans want to admit it or not. Serena has the better serve, the cleaner groundstrokes, and more explosive movement (Venus is still a great mover though).

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
IMO

Tier 2: Henin, Venus
Tier 3: Clijsters
Tier 4: Davenport, Mauresmo, Rubin
Tier 5: Capriati, Hantuchova, Myskina

To be honest I don't see Jennifer really challenging the elite players, and although she is a step up from Daniela and Nastya ( :sad: ), she's still a step below the rest.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
hantuchova has the talent to go with the williams sisters imo and we saw a bit of it last year when she played venus 3rd round at the aus open and took her to 6-4 in the 3rd set after losing the 2nd set 6-0. that's not only game but that is mental strength and although hantuchova isn't showing it now she's done it before and i'm sure she'll do it many times again.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
actually i do have to agree, capriati is ahead of hantuchova and myskina actually she's ahead of rubin as well imo (recently).

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Well, Venus smokes everyone off the court except for Serena so I don't see how Venus is on the same level with Clijsters and Justin.. It would be more fair to say Henin is a step above Clijsters but a step below Venus.

Reactions: Gowza

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
true, venus does blow away justine when they play and justine has the wins over kim recently so it would make sense to put her aboove kim but below venus.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
knizzle is probably more accurate but it could be spread even wider. problem is wta tournaments only go done to tier 5 so maybe serena should be up at grand slam, venus tier 1 and so on.

·
Registered
407 Posts
To Keep it real is to state the plain facts.

The Top 10 are the Top 10 released every Monday by the WTA. No If's No Buts. Simple really.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Instant said:
To Keep it real is to state the plain facts.

The Top 10 are the Top 10 released every Monday by the WTA. No If's No Buts. Simple really.
amazing how that works, isn't it ;)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts