Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished watching watching the womens final. And I must
congradulate Sharapova on her win. She beat Serena at her own game.
But I feel at the same time that this marks a change in the game. It
has been said that Serena and Venus were the blueprint for alot of the
Russian players games. They all have 2 handed backhands and hit the
ball hard. The problem is that I think that there will never be any
variety or artistry in the game. Justine and Amelie are a dying breed.
They are the only womens players that don't depend on brute strength
to win matches. They have a wide variety of shots and even though they
can muscle their opponent around, they don't have to resort to that to
win. I have a feeling that rallies are becoming a thing of the past in
womens tennis. Nowadays no matter how big your serve is it will be
butchered for a return winner. The depth is gone. Now we are going to
have a whole bunch of wannabe William's immitators smashing the ball
into bits and, the decider of who wins these games depends on who gets
the first strike. Does anyone else here miss the old days where you
had to actually craft together a point to win. Now the girls just
bully each other back and forth mindlessly, without any thought or
game plan. Lobs and dropshots are a thing of the past.
And even though I like Venus and Serena for their personality and
spice, they have truly created a monster...

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
henree said:
Just finished watching watching the womens final. And I must
congradulate Sharapova on her win. She beat Serena at her own game.
But I feel at the same time that this marks a change in the game. It
has been said that Serena and Venus were the blueprint for alot of the
Russian players games. They all have 2 handed backhands and hit the
ball hard. The problem is that I think that there will never be any
variety or artistry in the game. Justine and Amelie are a dying breed.
They are the only womens players that don't depend on brute strength
to win matches. They have a wide variety of shots and even though they
can muscle their opponent around, they don't have to resort to that to
win. I have a feeling that rallies are becoming a thing of the past in
womens tennis. Nowadays no matter how big your serve is it will be
butchered for a return winner. The depth is gone. Now we are going to
have a whole bunch of wannabe William's immitators smashing the ball
into bits and, the decider of who wins these games depends on who gets
the first strike. Does anyone else here miss the old days where you
had to actually craft together a point to win. Now the girls just
bully each other back and forth mindlessly, without any thought or
game plan. Lobs and dropshots are a thing of the past.
And even though I like Venus and Serena for their personality and
spice, they have truly created a monster...
neither Williamses have anything to do with how Russian players play. if any active player could be called a blueprint, it would have been Monica, who brought tennis to a whole new level of power hitting. That's when Russian players started developing. When Williamses first appeared in ANY competition, most of Russian players had already developed their techniques.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
IMO womens tennis is going up! SO many great players now..I just hope that one year we have all players healthy! But if anything the Williams' didnt start the hard hitting trend..they DID start mental toughness being a major key and its evident in so many players this year that they think they can win a Grand Slam no matter who they play!

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
and Roger is showing that with all the shots and artistic play you can still win a GS. there will be other players, I'm sure, who will follow his, Justine's and Amelie's steps.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
henree said:
It has been said that Serena and Venus were the blueprint for alot of the Russian players games.
MOST of the Russian players have games LIKE Venus and Serena. Note that the first of them to win a GS did NOT. If you want a 'blueprint', it's Chris Evert and the high tech racquet technology.
henree said:
The problem is that I think that there will never be any variety or artistry in the game. Justine and Amelie are a dying breed. They are the only womens players that don't depend on brute strength to win matches.
I'm going to pick a few names out of the current top twenty. Would you mind explaining how it is they rely on 'brute strength to win matches'?

First three OTHER top ten players

02 Kim Clijsters
04 Anastasia Myskina
10 Ai Sugiyama

Then five of the NEXT ten players

11 Paola Suarez
16 Patty Schnyder
17 Francesca Schiavone
18 Anna Smashnova-Pistolesi
20 Silvia Farina Elia

Seems to me that literally HALF the the women very districtly rely on something other than 'brute strength'. (Add in Justine and Amelie, that's ten of the top twenty.)

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
I just looked at what I wrote and realized that you really missed the boat here. The TOP FOUR ranked players are not power players.

01 Henin-Hardenne
02 Clijsters
03 Mauresmo
04 Myskina

On top of that, the Wimbledon final had quite a few long rallies. And those were two of the hardest hitters. And players who wouldn't be considered power players by your definition hold of the four GS titles.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
tenn_ace said:
Kim is a big question mark here IMO.
Kim is THE most defensive player on the tour (Well, except maybe ASP). She throws up more defensive lobs than anybody, plays half a mile behind the baseline, and relies HEAVILY on retrieval, rather than hitting winners. Yes she CAN hit hard, but I was responding to the original post, which argured that players were relying on brute strength to win points, and long rallies were a thing of the past. Kim's rallies can be ENDLESS, and she's quite often content to just return the ball til the opponent misses.

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
I know that she does all that and also uses a drop shot, but still, she seems to rely more on power than precision, spins, angles to win points.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Julian said:
IMO womens tennis is going up! SO many great players now..I just hope that one year we have all players healthy! But if anything the Williams' didnt start the hard hitting trend..they DID start mental toughness being a major key and its evident in so many players this year that they think they can win a Grand Slam no matter who they play!
Nope, that would be Monica first with the mental toughness as well. But I do agree that women's tennis is on the upswing in a big way. It's been a long time since so many players could really challenge for titles. If we could only have all these great players healthy at one time, sparks would really fly. I'm really quite excited to see this much depth in the sport, it's been a long time coming.

·
Premium Member
11,132 Posts
i think this is good for the game, true the artistry has diminished but by the women going out there and playing such aggressive tennis and being assertive they definately are gaining more credibility for the game..they are playing more like men :)

its good that the womens game has evolved and we dont see women players caressing the ball anymore and acting more 'pumped' and aggressive than they used to. its refreshing. go maria :)

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
tenn_ace said:
I know that she does all that and also uses a drop shot, but still, she seems to rely more on power than precision, spins, angles to win points.
See this quote from original post "Lobs and dropshots are a thing of the past." The author could NOT have been thinking of Kim Clijsters.

I'd also argue Kim uses quite a lot of topspin. As for angles, when you play from as far back as she does, it's hard to get a good angle. And she does a LOT of just getting her racket in the way, and allowing the power of her opponents shot to get the ball back across the net. The cut down on precision.

The quality of the opponent enters into this too. Some player outside the top fifty can expect to be blown away quite handily.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
earthcrystal said:
Nope, that would be Monica first with the mental toughness as well.
Did you never SEE Chris Evert or Billie Jen King in their prime? How on earth can you write that? BJK was fighter non-pareil, and Chris Evert was a machine.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Too bad.

·
Registered
642 Posts
pure power won't get a player very far without the shotmaking abilities to complement it. there is a good variety in the game right now, but one thing that is missing is a player with a good net game a la Novotna. the volley is officially dead and buried.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Volcana said:
Did you never SEE Chris Evert or Billie Jen King in their prime? How on earth can you write that? BJK was fighter non-pareil, and Chris Evert was a machine.
I thought we we were talking "power hitters" with mental toughness? No?
Well, then I'll give you BJK and Navratilova. I hated Chrissy-poo, so I won't give you that one. And yes, I watched them all, thanks for asking.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
i think the tour will be better! let's just wait for everybody to be healthy! i think 2005 will be a great year for women's tennis! come back kim and justine!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts