Tennis Forum banner

101 - 120 of 196 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I know the complexity of my system to determine the rankings for each week can cause errors.
Most errors that occur had been small and had less effect on the outcome.

... until today.

I discovered one big error, what makes me doubt on all the results I posted from 1961 to 1966.

I have to rework these years now!!!

:banghead:

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
the years 1957 to 1961 are revised and updated

hard work!

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #103 (Edited)
1962 and 1963 revised and updated.

At the moment it seems that the big error I mentioned two posts above is not as big as assumed.
The effect on 1961, 62, 63 had been acceptable. :yippee:

1964 and 65 also revised.

added a top10 players overview into post #8

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I just changed my mind in terms of the tournament grading procedure.
Because of the escalating mismatch between the WTA prize money and the Grand Slam prize money.

no of Grades.png

To really compare all years best I need a certain consistence in the number of Grades.
With my previously used system this I cannot ensure (taking always an average of competition level and prize money level).

To prevent a much decreasing number of higher grades in the 2000s/2010s I changed my system to:

If the prize money level is below the competition level, the competition level counts at all.
If the prize money level is above the competition level, the average of both levels counts.

·
25,278 Posts
To really compare all years best I need a certain consistence in the number of Grades.
Consistency is important-and oh so tough when the tour keeps shifting. I ended up doing much the same thing Peter.

To make the years truly comparative I keep the points for a full tennis year within 3% of what I call the sweet spot, which for me is 75,000 points.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #110 (Edited)
My small picture shows that in that test-year 2016 only 33 of 639 tournaments (WTA+ITF) would be above my ITF-similar-points-level.
Disbelieving...

Looking at the prize money values of the WTA tournaments at first, seeing 7 million, 4 million, 2 million ... so much money ! :eek:
But looking next at the Grand Slam money - 3 million for the singles winner alone, than you get the conceivability what it really means. :speakles:

When you look back at years when some women tournaments had bigger prizes than the Grand Slams - than Premier events today are really poor in comparison ... :sad:

apropos:
Before making that test with the year 2016 I had in mind to assign only points based on the prize money from the mid-1980s. It is much easier to handle.
The test changed my mind not only to change how to combine prize/competition, it also changed my mind to continue the time-devouring procedure of getting the competition level for all years.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
my 1971 overview is finished

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #115 (Edited)
1974 & 75 practically finished for now,
"only" 5 more years to revise ...

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
my view on 1979 filled in

because it is the end of the decade I included some statistics about the 22 years of rankings made so far

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
my view on 1980 filled in

1981 follows soon, which is also the start of the next project step and all new ground to me

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
The first real new year after opening this thread I have finished now.
The other years were "only" revised and recalculated, but it still was a tough and time-robbing work.

My name entry database comprises now 12158 rows, 1571 of them are cross references.

101 - 120 of 196 Posts