Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just don't understand this: How is it possible that a top-ten-player serves like Radwanska does? :confused:

The technique is horrible and some male club-players serve better than that. :lol:

No speed, no variaty, no consistency, no nothing! :eek:

Well, she's not the tallest but why doesn't she work on that?

And Radwanska is not the only example. Hingis was such a gifted player but her serve was so bad. She didn't change anything since she was 12! Maybe that's the key: Girls start to early and never work on their serves again. Maybe they think it not worth it: "I need to work so much to serve 10 % better".
But I do believe that the serve is the most important shot in tennis! It's the only shot that is not influenced by your opponent. Thank god, a lot of female players understood that too. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
132 Posts
yes i agree that her serve is rubbish expect as she attempts to stay in the top ten she will have to improve that, this is what happens girl rocket down the rankings with a good game no half complete. You can however get away with a rubbish serve becuase thye cover it up by being ready to move for the return. She has a serve like hingis soft opt m ore for direction than bot together and get away with it because most returns do nothing with it. There does come come an opponent that does expose that but not too mant do to force her to better her serve, that is why.

·
Registered
29,890 Posts
It's not only Radwanska who has bad serve. Jankovic, Dementieva, Bartoli have very bad serve. They don't know what it is kick serve.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I don't get it either. Why are some top ten players can get away with it? It wouldn't happen in the mens field.

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
because they can outplay about 80 percent of the tour!!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Well Justine's serving could come and go, by far the weakest element in her game. That's only comparitively speaking though.

Alicia had a great serve, so yes she would go in. I did mention Maria:p
Justine's serve is underrated because of how good she is. She is definitely one of the best servers I know specially during her peak period. It may not be her natural talent but she made it there, top list of good servers.

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
the thread starter has a point...

weve named alot of players with good serves, but good is a relative term...and its only good relative to the other serves on womens tour most of which s*ck

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
the thread starter has a point...

weve named alot of players with good serves, but good is a relative term...and its only good relative to the other serves on womens tour most of which s*ck
exactly! Those serves of the women that's on the list are the only one's which deserves to be in a professional sport.
Maybe the reason why women can get away with a weak serve in womens professional tennis is because women players are generally wear returners too?
Or maybe those players who made it to the top with bad serves are great on groundstrokes, like Dementieva?

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
less hight means you need more percentage to clear the net, meaning slower, or higher clearing of the net.

why they don't hit the kicker is a better question, but in general - the girls reaching 6'0 foot/180 CM and higher usually own a pretty useful first serve, and they usually rack up the second one quite nicely too.

judging the top10 to all own great serves is pointless. Karlovic has a mch better serve than Simon, yet no one is really expecting him to challenge federer, murray and nadal back to back as simon already has.

perhaps in men's tennis, the vice-versa is more common:
"how can a player with such awful ground strokes get to the top10 with serve alone"?

·
Registered
39,558 Posts
Serving is the most important part in tennis.I agree that Radwanska's serve really shocked me, espacially her second serve: there was no depth, no consistency.

I think Sandrine Testud had a great second kick serve. :)

Reactions: Alizé Molik

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
:yawn:

What's next? A thread on the mythical "backhand down the line?"

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Why do we insist on comparing men to women. We don't want them the same, do we? This is what I actually enjoy about tennis here that it takes more than serve well. I am not against women improving their serve, especially Agnieszka, but c'mon if you don't like the game don't watch it. I liked someone's comment earlier (see few messages above) that it is more pathetic to get to the top 10 with theserve alone.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Why do we insist on comparing men to women. We don't want them the same, do we? This is what I actually enjoy about tennis here that it takes more than serve well. I am not against women improving their serve, especially Agnieszka, but c'mon if you don't like the game don't watch it. I liked someone's comment earlier (see few messages above) that it is more pathetic to get to the top 10 with theserve alone.
When applying this question to other issues such as prize money, the apparent answer is: Yes. One could argue why should men and women be equal in one respect but not the other.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Well because the truth is that the serve is NOT the most important shot in the game, womem's OR men's. What good is it if you have a great serve, but a lousy forehand, backhand and return game - and can't move very well? What is clear is that you need a good serve to compete at the very top of the woman's game (but even then you have Elena D) but you can survive quite well in the WTA with a mediocre serve, assuming you have some of the other skills more important.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Yeah, well, not everyone can be great at serving, some people suck. So they make up for it with other skills.
Radwanska, for example, has excellent movement and court tactics. It's good to see a little variety.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts