Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I calculated what would be the seedings for the women at Wimbledon if they used the formula they used for the men (Ranking points + 100% of last year's grass points + 75% of 2004 grass points). It appears that is exactly what they did for Venus. The (number) is the seed the player actually got. The adjusted number of points is shown next to the player's name.

1. (1) Mauresmo 3922.5
2. (4) Sharapova 3449
3. (2) Clijsters 3404
Davenport 2807.5
4. (5) Petrova 2585.5
5. (6) Kuznetsova 2429.75
6. (3) Henin-Hardenne 2409
7. (7) Williams, V. 2148.5
Pierce 2075.5
8. (8) Dementieva 2053.75
9. (9) Schnyder 1825.5
10. (10) Myskina 1708.5
11. (11) Vaidisova 1474.5
12. (12) Schiavone 1406.25
13. (15) Safina 1337.25
14. (13) Hingis 1334
15. (14) Groenefeld 1304.5
16. (16) Hantuchova 1272
17. (17) Pennetta 1114
18. (19) Sugiyama 971.75
19. (18) Kirilenko 939
20. (23) Dechy 896
21. (22) Srebotnik 842.25
22. (25) Bartoli 825
23. (20) Ivanovic 823.75
24. (27) Jankovic 817
25. (26) Likhovtseva 805
26. (21) Peer 787.75
27. (30) Golovin 794.75
28. (24) Medina Garrigues 770.75
29. (32) Dulko 734.25
30. (31) Tchakvetadze 674
31. (29) Arvidsson 794.75
32. (28) Li 619.75

The most interesting moves are at the top. Mauresmo stays number one, but Sharapova jumps up to number two. Davenport would get a top four seed if she was playing, and Henin falls all the way to #6, with just two points being added to her current total. Venus stays #7, and Dementieva at #8.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
This is how the seeds should look, maybe Venus a little higher. If they moved Venus up they should of moved Maria up too. Justine lost first round last year.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Its interesting how they work the seeds out and really these seeds would work in the womens game, although really Maria at number 2 was as bit of a shock I thought Venus three time champion would rank higher, thanks to who worked these out.

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
Venus doesn't rank higher because last year's Wimbledon's ranking points account for half of her points. She doesn't often play tennis, so she doesn't earn points.

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
selesbooz said:
This is how the seeds should look, maybe Venus a little higher. If they moved Venus up they should of moved Maria up too. Justine lost first round last year.
Ahh...so now it comes all to view. You Venus fans don't even want the men's formula being used when it comes to her. Yall would prefer a special "Venus Formula" to be used. Well here it is. It's 100% of last year's Wimbledon results + 75% of 2003 Wimbledon result + 50% of 2002 Wimbledon result + 25% of 2001 Wimbledon Result + 10% of 2000 Wimbledon result.
Here are the results.

1) Venus
Everyone Else.
That seems amazingly fair now. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I dont think the mens formula is very good, not for the womens but anyways

maybe ranking points + say 50-75% of last year grass points, and nothing else. seems a little fairer, 2004 players were all at very different levels than now

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
everyone hates on Williams' fans when they want the best for the girls, but nobody minds when other fan bases (excluding Masha fans) want the best for their players.

Reactions: The_Pov

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Wannabeknowitall said:
Ahh...so now it comes all to view. You Venus fans don't even want the men's formula being used when it comes to her. Yall would prefer a special "Venus Formula" to be used. Well here it is. It's 100% of last year's Wimbledon results + 75% of 2003 Wimbledon result + 50% of 2002 Wimbledon result + 25% of 2001 Wimbledon Result + 10% of 2000 Wimbledon result.
Here are the results.

1) Venus
Everyone Else.
That seems amazingly fair now. :rolleyes:

Ummm.....what?

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
VeeDaQueen said:
everyone hates on Williams' fans when they want the best for the girls, but nobody minds when other fan bases (excluding Masha fans) want the best for their players.
Well since I'm a Lindsay fan I'll go on the Lindsay story and what she had to deal with in the last couple of years. In 2004 Lindsay started to get annoyed because she was being pushed down a seeding or two because of Venus and Serena and their special seeding. She complained but vowed not to have to deal with that type of situation again. The next year Lindsay was ranked and seeded number one and noone was going to take that away from her.
See what happens when you actually work for a seeding . :)
That doesn't seem the way Venus operates. Venus loses to Schett at French Open and thirty-two seedings come into play. Venus gets injured she gets a special seeding at slams which becomes extinct after her use. Venus ranking is still incredibly low for a player holding a slam but Wimbledon decides to use the men's formula on her.
You would think for a player who can beat anyone even with a low ranking or seeding that she wouldn't be given all these privileges. :D

Reactions: Robbie.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Thanx for these numbers.

It's interesting that (even on Wimbledon's own homepage) they admit to a very mathematical formula to determine the men's seedins, but, for the women, they state that seedings are based on "the opinion of the committee."

It seems that the women are treated differently in more than financial ways at the Championships. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wannabeknowitall said:
Well since I'm a Lindsay fan I'll go on the Lindsay story and what she had to deal with in the last couple of years. In 2004 Lindsay started to get annoyed because she was being pushed down a seeding or two because of Venus and Serena and their special seeding. She complained but vowed not to have to deal with that type of situation again. The next year Lindsay was ranked and seeded number one and noone was going to take that away from her.
That doesn't seem the way Venus operates. Venus loses to Schett at French Open and thirty-two seedings come into play. Venus gets injured she gets a special seeding at slams which becomes extinct after her use. Venus ranking is still incredibly low for a player holding a slam but Wimbledon decides to use the men's formula on her.
You would think for a player who can beat anyone even with a low ranking or seeding that she wouldn't be given all these privileges. :D
Regarding special seedings, I support them when they are used properly. It gave top players who were hit hard by injuries the chance to come back on tour and readjust. The problem is that in the end they were being abused. Players were being rewarded for playing a half-assed schedule on tour. Thus, the program was killed.

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
Andrew.. said:
Regarding special seedings, I support them when they are used properly. It gave top players who were hit hard by injuries the chance to come back on tour and readjust. The problem is that in the end they were being abused. Players were being rewarded for playing a half-assed schedule on tour. Thus, the program was killed.
Hmmm... Half-Assed schedule. Of all of the top players I wonder who plays an half-assed schedule. It can't be Kim or Justine or Lindsay or Mauresmo or Nadia or Patty or Kuznetsova. It has to be someone though. I can't figure it out. I wonder if anyone else can figure it out for me. :p

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I think the men's system is very stupid and unfair. If a player was injured and couldn't play during grass court tournaments then he's penalised twice... once next year and one the year after the next.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Wannabeknowitall said:
i thnk this pretty much sums up my mixed feelings about this.. although i like venus, her special seeding pretty much disregards the other players before and after her who worked hard for their ranking..guess the "committee" is at fault which is why i never really like wimb

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Does seeding really matters?
If you ask me, if a player is really that great she shouldn't have to worry to whom she is gonna face in the first round of a slam...

In my opinion, seeding is just for the benefit of the tournament not the players...

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
lol @ the seedings:p
Recent years champs were like 13 and 14 seed or so.
I believe, that really doesn't matter if they put Venus as n 7, or 5 or 11, does it?
She's better on grass than any of the contenders this year, so it's kind of natural, that she's the favorite, no matter the seeding system they use at SW19.:tape:
Maria is the second favorite, but she's still struggling with her ankle, and I'm afraid she's not going to compete at her highest level in Wimbledon.
Then we have a whole list of players who could do well, but are not considered as favorites: JuJu, Momo, Kim, Martina, Kuzy etc.
But if every tournament organisers used the seeding system to privilege the favrites, it wouldn't be fair. Grass is different, though. There aren't many events before Wimbledon which is the ultimate test for grasscourt play skills..
It should be like:
1.Venus
2.Lindsay
3.Masha
4.Momo
OMG, but Lindsay isn't playing, so I guess it can stay as they arranged it:p

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mike/topgun said:
lol @ the seedings:p
Recent years champs were like 13 and 14 seed or so.
I believe, that really doesn't matter if they put Venus as n 7, or 5 or 11, does it?
She's better on grass than any of the contenders this year, so it's kind of natural, that she's the favorite, no matter the seeding system they use at SW19.:tape:
Maria is the second favorite, but she's still struggling with her ankle, and I'm afraid she's not going to compete at her highest level in Wimbledon.
Then we have a whole list of players who could do well, but are not considered as favorites: JuJu, Momo, Kim, Martina, Kuzy etc.
But if every tournament organisers used the seeding system to privilege the favrites, it wouldn't be fair. Grass is different, though. There aren't many events before Wimbledon which is the ultimate test for grasscourt play skills..
It should be like:
1.Venus
2.Lindsay
3.Masha
4.Momo
OMG, but Lindsay isn't playing, so I guess it can stay as they arranged it:p
There's a reason they don't seed on every past result for every player.

1. Graf
2. Navratilova
3. Everyone else.

·
Banned
9,812 Posts
:tape: @ Li #32 because she has not played on grass in 2004/2005

1 - 20 of 36 Posts