Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Positive Comment - the announcers, McAtee (sic?) in particular, went on at great length about Justine's power. This was welcomed. It klind of got all those 'Justine isn't a power player arguements off the table for good.

Negative Comment - They just HAD to mention that stupid hand incident at Roland Garros. The kid fucked up inthe heat of battle, facing an opponent she dislikes, and had lost often to. I've yet to see any other example of Justine demonstating flat-out cheating. Or even coming close. Justine said it herself. It the chair's job to call that. Where Justine went wrong is that she hadn't played many matches televised worldwide. She hadn't the experience to know that the whole world would see that, and that her critics wouldn't let it go. If she had done the same thing at a Tier II in Luxembourg, it wouldn't be following her arouond.

Negative Comment (General) - I missed Venus terribly at this open. And seeing a player she OWNED win the title naturally leads to thought of 'what if'. But I'd have felt better if the media had never mentioned the absence of Venus and Serena once we got to the semis. I understand that with all the rain, they had to find theings to talk about.

Yet this morning, on the radio, a guy was raving about the Henin-Hardenne vs Capriati match, and his partner just HAD to say, 'if Venus and Serena had been there, would that match have even taken place?' Guy #1 concedes that likely it wouldn't have, giventhe principals records vs V & S. True. But gimme a break! It was the match of the tournament on the women's side! Just this once, let it stand on its own! Lest we forget...

Venus and Serena are injured at a BJK-like rate, and don't play all that often when healthy.
Lindsay and Jenn are on the down-slope.
Amelie's injuries may have robbed her of her chance at multiple GS titles.
Monica is a total question mark.
Dani and Jelena have ... you tell me.

Simple sane unvarnished truth. Women's tennis NEEDS Justine and Kim to do well. Venus and Serena can't carry the whole tour on their backs. Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert presided over a historic decline of interest in women's tennis, and Steffi and Monica continued the trend. (Had Monica not been off the tour for 2 and half years, this might not have been the case.)

The current resurgence, such as it is, is the result of havng 6 or 7 competitors who can at least ENTERTAIN the idea of competing foe GS titles, not just 2. In the last five years, five different players have won multiple GS titles. That's just as important for the sport as having a glam star like Serena at the top.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Tennis has yet to recover from Martina's departure. It most certainly needs new stars. Justine is one. Kim is now in question. She simply has to stop choking big matches away.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
TonyP said:
Tennis has yet to recover from Martina's departure. It most certainly needs new stars.
What really and truly made Martina Hingis a star aside from her obvious tennis skills was not just because it was easy to love her but it was also equally easy to absolutely loathe her.

She truly inspired strong feelings in people who loved her and hated her. People loved her clever game, yet others hated how she so cruelly dismantled her opponents that they so wanted her to lose.

Even that smile was polarizing. Some people loved seeing a girl who looked happy and beautifully smiling on court while others just thought she was deriving pleasure in torturing her opponents.

And of course there were the times she ran her mouth off. Some like her candor. Others found her completely offensive.

And being somewhat attractive also helps.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
TonyP said:
Tennis has yet to recover from Martina's departure. It most certainly needs new stars. Justine is one. Kim is now in question. She simply has to stop choking big matches away.

blah blah blah! Martina was a great player, but tennis kept marching on w/out her. Her fans missed her terribly, but there was no less excitement w/her departure. :sad:

The biggest voids have been Monica's stabbing (Steffi and the seven dwarfs), and Steffi/Monica injuries in 97. And now the Williams sisters sidelined for virtually an entire summer.

Justine played a great tournament, and fully deserves her win. :worship:

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
DA FOREHAND said:
The biggest voids have been Monica's stabbing (Steffi and the seven dwarfs),
I agree.

DA FOREHAND said:
and Steffi/Monica injuries in 97.
Disagree. Tennis actually had something of a resurgence shortly after that, mostly because of all the T&A with Anna K, Wx2 and their outfits, and Martina H entertaining the idea of being vampy.

·
Banned
596 Posts
cynicole said:
What really and truly made Martina Hingis a star aside from her obvious tennis skills was not just because it was easy to love her but it was also equally easy to absolutely loathe her.

She truly inspired strong feelings in people who loved her and hated her. People loved her clever game, yet others hated how she so cruelly dismantled her opponents that they so wanted her to lose.

Even that smile was polarizing. Some people loved seeing a girl who looked happy and beautifully smiling on court while others just thought she was deriving pleasure in torturing her opponents.

And of course there were the times she ran her mouth off. Some like her candor. Others found her completely offensive.

And being somewhat attractive also helps.
that is correct, i love her for for the same reason you hate her,
i'm sorry, but it think torturing is fun:)

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Monsters said:
that is correct, i love her for for the same reason you hate her,
i'm sorry, but it think torturing is fun:)
My dad absolutely loved her. Yet I know someone who also absolutely hates her. And when I asked them what it was that they liked or didn't like, they often said the same things but had completely different takes on those various aspects of Martina's game and personality.

Clever game vs. No guts game
Beautiful Smile vs. Evil Smile
Honesty vs. Trash Talk

This might sound controversial but I think part of the problem with Wx2 is that some people simply can't openly feel the same kind of loathing towards them as they did with Hingis for fear of being branded "racist."

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
DA FOREHAND said:
The biggest voids have been Monica's stabbing (Steffi and the seven dwarfs), and Steffi/Monica injuries in 97. And now the Williams sisters sidelined for virtually an entire summer.
"Steffi and the seven dwarfs" :mad: I hated Martina for saying that. As if Martina and Chris totally dominating for a decade until Steffi came along was exciting and unpredictable :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TonyP said:
Tennis as a corporate entity hasn't suffered at all with Martina's departure. We see fewer good matches though, which sucks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts