·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It shows Serena should retire...

Reactions: DropShotAce

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Had the men been bo3 then it wouldn’t have gone 5 hours.

That’s like saying an f1 car beat a touring car in a race and that that is a big deal.

·
Registered
14,856 Posts
Serena gets the same silverware and prize money as Roger. Smart girl.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I think both finals delivered in different ways.

The men's might've been a dramatic match, but the quality was lacking for large parts of the match from both. Fed the better player, but also playing like a mental midget. Nole in mediocre form in this final for his standards, won it on mental strength alone. As someone who didn't have a dog in this fight, I am left with a sour taste at how it ended.

The women's final featured someone who played her best tennis and impressed everyone. Despite the short match I think impartial viewers were left satisfied to see someone playing at such a high level.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
What does it say?

Djokovic just won 13-12 in a 5th set tie break :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

It says the women got paid much more than the men in 2019!

Simona Halep: 2.35M $BP in 56 minutes = 2.518M $BP hourly rate

Novak Djokovic: 2.35M $BP in 4:55 = 0.478M $BP / hour

But Djokovic pushing his way to the championship, deserves a much lesser rate! :eek:h:

Reactions: Roookie and josGros

·
Registered
14,856 Posts
^^ @Haleptard — The men’s match was very high quality by both players, especially Roger, who played one of his best matches tennis-wise in the last decade. I have never seen him use his slice as patiently and cleverly as in this match, or seen him anticipate and cover Novak’s backhand CC this well from the net. Even the way he defended his good-but-no-longer great movement was wonderful to watch. Unfortunately he crumbled mentally in the key moments. You have to give it to Novak for taking his chances and staying solid/clutch in spite of being outplayed.

Simona played one of her best matches but let’s face it, it is easier to do that when your opponent isn’t putting pressure on you. Simona is the best mover on tour — unlike Roger she wasn’t playing the best mover on tour. Serena was dire and moved like a large elephant.

·
Registered
34,325 Posts
Well, what is it supposed to say? I'm not denying that the WTA is struggling right now with bad play in the latter stages of big tournaments but it's pretty pointless to draw conclusions from one edition or even one year or three years.

How likely is it that both the WTA and the ATP final have the exact same outcome? It's very much possible that one final overshadows the other, sometimes both are good, sometimes both are dull. Noone has an impact on this. ATP obviously has the situation with many all-time GOATs playing at the same time which makes epic classics more likely but even then they are not guaranteed.

But stuff like Equal Pay (or whatever is always coming up when there's such a difference between the women's and the men's final) is obviously a long-term installment. Maybe at the US Open it's the exact opposite. I know people are always coming up with the prize money argument but I just disagree with only time on court counting for that. In my eyes, it's more of an acknowledgement of how much effort and dedication you have to put into a tennis career, how many hours you spend on the practice courts, how many sacrifices you have to make which is obviously regardless of gender.

ATP will always have the "advantage" of having a Bo5-match which just guarantees more match play and there's always the opportunity for an epic match. So maybe this can be considered for the ladies' final. But do we really want that? I have a hard time seeing the quality drastically improving by such a move. And to be honest, while I massively enjoyed that epic ending between Federer and Djokovic and was on the edge of my seat, I did not tune in for the first 3,5-4 hours. I was checking the score so I could watch the final set but I did not want to spend my entire Sunday afternoon following one match.

Visitors obviously think different about that, spending a lot of money to get tickets. However, I think the final weekend is still nicely covered with doubles, mixed, legends, juniors etc finals.

·
Registered
375 Posts
The men’s final featured 2 GOAT’s,both playing AMAZING tennis.
In the women’s final,we had a Halep peaking against a Serena that couldn’t do much about it ?
There were many GS’s in the past with a better women’s final.
It says nothing

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
It means it was a dramatic and overall very fun final, but at the same time played way too sloppy by both of them, especially Federer who should have finished it in three sets, but let nerves get the better of him. Neither one was as dialed in as they were getting here. Why? I have no clue, but like I said it still made for a fun match to watch.

Meanwhile on the other end you had the exact opposite with one sloppy player and one extremely dialed in. And you know what, even this sloppy Serena was still serving better yesterday than either Novak or Roger today, and that just sounds silly saying it out loud, but yet it's somehow the truth.

I think part of the problem is the frankly shit field, which is going to be a very serious problem for the ATP in 5 years. Roger was the only one truly tested on his road to the final, and that's only because he faced Nadal in the semifinals, the rest were just practice sessions for him. And you know what, Federer was also the better player tonight, but Novak won still because he got the important points when it counted the most.

If either one was actually dialed in, as you'd expect from one of the big 3, this final would have gone the way of the AO and French, it didn't and thus we got a much more competitive match, if at a lower level from both. I can already tell people will gush over it, but seriously, this can't hold a candle to the 2008 Wimbledon final, not even close. The only stat that's better between them is the length in favor of 2019, that's it.

By the way, the women had a longer AO and much better quality final then the very one-sided men's final, do you think there was anyone on MTF posting threads like this one over there? At least try and pretend to not be as pressed as you clearly are that a player you hate so much just won Wimbledon. Meh, why am I even trying with some of these people?

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
Well, what is it supposed to say? I'm not denying that the WTA is struggling right now with bad play in the latter stages of big tournaments but it's pretty pointless to draw conclusions from one edition or even one year or three years.

How likely is it that both the WTA and the ATP final have the exact same outcome? It's very much possible that one final overshadows the other, sometimes both are good, sometimes both are dull. Noone has an impact on this. ATP obviously has the situation with many all-time GOATs playing at the same time which makes epic classics more likely but even then they are not guaranteed.

But stuff like Equal Pay (or whatever is always coming up when there's such a difference between the women's and the men's final) is obviously a long-term installment. Maybe at the US Open it's the exact opposite. I know people are always coming up with the prize money argument but I just disagree with only time on court counting for that. In my eyes, it's more of an acknowledgement of how much effort and dedication you have to put into a tennis career, how many hours you spend on the practice courts, how many sacrifices you have to make which is obviously regardless of gender.

ATP will always have the "advantage" of having a Bo5-match which just guarantees more match play and there's always the opportunity for an epic match. So maybe this can be considered for the ladies' final. But do we really want that? I have a hard time seeing the quality drastically improving by such a move. And to be honest, while I massively enjoyed that epic ending between Federer and Djokovic and was on the edge of my seat, I did not tune in for the first 3,5-4 hours. I was checking the score so I could watch the final set but I did not want to spend my entire Sunday afternoon following one match.

Visitors obviously think different about that, spending a lot of money to get tickets. However, I think the final weekend is still nicely covered with doubles, mixed, legends, juniors etc finals.
The women have to win only 2 sets, and still in the AOpen 2018 Simona had to play this long matches:
- 3h 44m vs. Davis
- 2h 20m vs. Kerber
- 2h 49m vs. Wozniacki

If the people want to see on large average longer matches, we may claim 3, 4, or even 5 won sets - very simple.
But if the players are not close enough (for whatever reason), the requested more won sets won't help that much.
The problem is that because we cannot be sure of in advance how the players compare to each other, the possible length of the match can fall between very wide limits.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
^^ @Haleptard — The men’s match was very high quality by both players, especially Roger, who played one of his best matches tennis-wise in the last decade. I have never seen him use his slice as patiently and cleverly as in this match, or seen him anticipate and cover Novak’s backhand CC this well from the net. Even the way he defended his good-but-no-longer great movement was wonderful to watch. Unfortunately he crumbled mentally in the key moments. You have to give it to Novak for taking his chances and staying solid/clutch in spite of being outplayed.

Simona played one of her best matches but let’s face it, it is easier to do that when your opponent isn’t putting pressure on you. Simona is the best mover on tour — unlike Roger she wasn’t playing the best mover on tour. Serena was dire and moved like a large elephant.
We'll have to agree to disagree, I thought they were both weirdly sloppy. And while Fed played some good tennis the many times he was looking to catch up and get ahead, it's hard to excuse how badly he was flopping in the important moments. The moments when both played good tennis were rare

1 - 20 of 178 Posts