Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to be controversial. I'm always rooting for equality etc etc I love womens tennis etc etc

But this AO emphasises that women cannot play best of 5 sets. Maybe because they only train for best of three.

You have two of the top fittest ladies - Kerber and Halep struggling in their matches late in the third set.

Simona tiring in her last match of the AO.

Women would not handle best of five and not collapse at the end of the finishing line.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
My stance on this is that, if it was expected of them, and the rules were actually changed, they would be able to.

Obviously they would change their training meathods and make their bodies ready for 5 sets.

So I think this thread is a waste of time and energy.

Would you train to be able to compete in best of 5 sets if it wasn’t required?

Would you do all this extra work for your current job when what was expected of you does not require all that extra work?

No.

So this opinion is moot af.

Carry on.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's the counter argument that men play best of 5 sets so women should too because they get equal pay.

I initially thought women could handle it.

But just looking at how fit Halep and Kerber are and for them to collapse.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Wasn't this what Sharapova once said? That they would need ambulances on standby if they were to play best of 5?
What an obvious “take the bare” comment.

At least try harder to be a troll.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My stance on this is that, if it was expected of them, and the rules were actually changed, they would be able to.

Obviously they would change their training meathods and make their bodies ready for 5 sets.

So I think this thread is a waste of time and energy.

Would you train to be able to compete in best of 5 sets if it wasn’t required?

Would you do all this extra work for your current job when what was expected of you does not require all that extra work?

No.

So this opinion is moot af.

Carry on.

Don't need to be so dismissive. You come across as a cow.

Changing your training so you spend more time training for a marathon and less time on your tennis and technique.

The quality of tennis suffers. How many women can keep up great footwork, technique and precision for best of 5 if they can't even do it for best of 3 at the moment?

Then doesn't the style of tennis change to become more like Woz and less like say Serena.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Many people confuse equality with parity. 5 sets for WTA is a horrible idea. The solution is simple. Just shorted the span of women's tournament instead of 5 sets. Women can start slams on Wednesday instead of Monday.

By the way, keeping things the same is also a bad idea. Because WTA premiers appear to be more challenging than slams. All matches are complete within a week. ATP raise level from masters to 5 sets. Got it? :)

·
Registered
13,244 Posts
There used to be best of 5 finals on the WTA back in the day.

The men's and women's marathon is the same length. The women finish the marathon. Women can handle best of 5 sets, but the current players on tour probably couldn't, you are right. The training and approach to the game would need to change.

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
This is going to be controversial. I'm always rooting for equality etc etc I love womens tennis etc etc

But this AO emphasises that women cannot play best of 5 sets. Maybe because they only train for best of three.

You have two of the top fittest ladies - Kerber and Halep struggling in their matches late in the third set.

Simona tiring in her last match of the AO.

Women would not handle best of five and not collapse at the end of the finishing line.
If by "controversial" you mean flawed, then yes, you're correct. Tennis is the only major sport where the women's version is longer than the men's. Women rum marathons and ultra-marathons. If that were not enough there are a few recent studies that conclude women have greater stamina and muscle endurance than men.

BTW one first round men's five-set at this AO match lasted 2.5 hours. Slightly less time than Wozniacki - Kerber. Schiavone - Kuznetsova took 4.75 hours.

So yeah . . .if by controversial you mean . . .

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
1 major reason is that men are naturally stronger than women, and power for them is a bit less effort than for women.

So men can hit for power (when fatigued) a little more easily. Hitting for any type of power also takes less out of them, so they can sustain it longer.

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
1 major reason is that men are naturally stronger than women, and power for them is a bit less effort than for women.

So men can hit for power (when fatigued) a little more easily. Hitting for any type of power also takes less out of them, so they can sustain it longer.
That's a flawed argument. I think.:D Unless research has shown that the drop-off is greater for women than for men. Otherwise the level of peak power is irrelevant to the topic.

As for your second claim - recent research indicates that "Women’s muscles tend to be more resistant to fatigue than men’s, which means they can perform at the same relative intensity for a longer duration."

Reactions: Dawn Marie

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
Wasn't this what Sharapova once said? That they would need ambulances on standby if they were to play best of 5?
She's my #1 fave but that doesn't mean that she doesn't sometimes say/do things that IMO are idiotic. :lol:

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I disagree that women couldn't "handle" it, that said, after seeing the semis and finals, I don't know that women playing 5 sets would make for enjoyable tennis to watch, for the reasons you identify. Watching women who are physically spent risk injury to try to just get across the finish line might be compelling drama, but I don't find it particularly enjoyable.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
pro men and women both train and work hard. Both should get equal pay. Many people get the same salary rate but sometimes others thave to stay later etc etc. in order to finish the project. Just exactly what does equal work mean in tennis? Many 5 setters are shorter then a ladies long 3 set?? WTA players can handle long 3 set matches so to assume that they cant handle 5 sets isn't.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Brah if you build your argument around the fact that Halep is one of the fittest player on tour and she can't handle it in this match without considering she skipped training and her schedule was a mess because she freaking rolled her ankle so bad that when I saw the replay live in slow mo I thought she broke it and will be out for months than you are the biggest dumbass that ever tried to build an argument in the history of mankind

Take a fit rested Halep and make her play in good weather 3 / 5 sets and come back to us.

I am not saying that they should do this because they would slow down their pace just as man do (btw man tennis is unwatchable to me it's a "top-spin points played safely inside court" fest, ain't nobody got time for that ) and the matches would suck. Btw who wants to sit through a 3 - 5 hours of low intensity effort? Screw that

·
Premium Member
41,975 Posts
Women have physical issues. Like, always need a MTO during the opponent's momentum. On the other hand, they have the ability to run with cramps.

*kidding*

1 - 20 of 138 Posts