Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Halep, Kerber, and Wozniacki all deserve kudos for highlighting the best of women’s tennis at this year’s AO.

I love Roger Federer, but the men’s tournament has been a snooze fest for the fourth slam in a row.

Note to Hyeon Chung (one of the few bright spots on the men’s side): Simona Halep would have finished her semi against Kerber with her leg amputated.

·
Registered
23,230 Posts
Re: Women’s tournament once again superior to mens

Halep, Kerber, and Wozniacki all deserve kudos for highlighting the best of women’s tennis at this year’s AO.

I love Roger Federer, but the men’s tournament has been a snooze fest for the fourth slam in a row.

Note to Hyeon Chung (one of the few bright spots on the men’s side): Simona Halep would have finished her semi against Kerber with her leg amputated.
have a look and come again... :unsure:

·
Premium Member
41,994 Posts

It's not comparable. Women would probably retire a lot more often if they were playing best of 5 sets. I mean, they look like about to end in a wheelchair by the third set. :eek:h:

·
Registered
114,483 Posts

When Federer and Nadal are gone, the 3 of 5 for men will look tedious. When Wozniacki/Navarro was after the Nadal/Cilic match, that thing was torture. Nadal taking medical time outs, but still in with a chance whle clearly in agony
You play this shit out with Goffin and Thiem and who the fuck is going to watch 5 hours of that?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

I've enjoyed the women's tournament more. Only because Federer lifting this tournament will depress the fuck out of me and I'm no fan of Cilic either. Players I counted on like Goffin, Dimitrov and Kyrgios flopped. Djokovic is nowhere near his level. Nadal came in with no preparation and got injured. Murray is still out. Berdych looked good enough, but was a bottling mug as usual.

Halep winning this tournament would make me very happy.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

When Federer and Nadal are gone, the 3 of 5 for men will look tedious. When Wozniacki/Navarro was after the Nadal/Cilic match, that thing was torture. Nadal taking medical time outs, but still in with a chance whle clearly in agony
You play this shit out with Goffin and Thiem and who the fuck is going to watch 5 hours of that?
Nadal never had a chance against Cilic from the 4th set onwards. Had he not retired, he'd have been bagelled in the 5th. He was getting blown off court and his movement was hindered.

Not sure what you mean by who would watch other players that are not Federer and Nadal play 5 sets. Kyrgios and Tsonga played one of the best matches of the tournament and it was a shame they didn't play a 5th. Kyrgios and Dimitrov played a great match too. Chung and Zverev's match ignited the audience despite Zverev tanking the final set. Even Chung-Sandgren was pretty and Sandgren-Thiem were entertaining. None of those players are called Federer or Nadal.
I've seen a few of Wozniacki's matches in this tournament and the crowd may as well have been watching a chess match, such was the dour atmosphere. Both tours would struggle without the marquee names, but ultimately, when these names step down, it allows others step into the vacuum.

·
Registered
16,449 Posts

Men should play 3-set. they do it everywhere else, even at the Olympics. No one has time to watch a 5-hour match with men ruining their bodies.. This is not like 20 years ago when few players were power players.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts

Four consecutive Slams where WTA >>>>> ATP and the mainstream press are even beginning to notice now.

The WTA might not have consistent narratives but the sheer amount of potential narratives have made for compelling drama right to the end. Whereas the ATP second weeks for a year have been a processional for past-their-prime legends, one of them literally a part-time semi-retiree.

The WTA have also managed to bring consistently crowd-pleasing on-court tennis. Not always between the same names but when the quality and/or tension is as high as in Halep/Kerber, Kerber/Hsieh or even Halep/Davis that's what people remember.

Whereas the men are at the stage where they have a few pretty first-week matches between players who've vanished from contention by finals weekend (Kyrgios/Dimitrov, Tsonga/Shapovalov) and utterly worthless SFs and Fs aside from Federer or Nadal ambling towards history.

I've also noticed among casual fans a much higher respect for Halep and Wozniacki than you might expect considering their lack of Slam success. The age we live in means they have a much higher profile than the likes of Sukova and Zvonareva ever used to and longevity is always the key from turning sceptical casual fans around.

How disgusting, keep that gross sh!t to other places please. Don't they have proper footwear in whatever country he's from?
"Whatever country he's from"? How disgustingly dismissive. South Korea is hardly an obscure country and his nationality hasn't exactly gone unreported.

·
Registered
23,230 Posts

How disgusting, keep that gross sh!t to other places please. Don't they have proper footwear in whatever country he's from?
are you dense or something? this is the right foot of south korean tennis player chung who just played his AO semi against roger federer, one would assume he'd have proper footwear when playing professional tennis. :facepalm:

·
Registered
15,796 Posts

Nah.

Cakeniacki's top-20less draw is equal to atleast one (if not more) retirement.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

Men should play 3-set. they do it everywhere else, even at the Olympics. No one has time to watch a 5-hour match with men ruining their bodies.. This is not like 20 years ago when few players were power players.
Not sure why you detractors can't speak for yourselves. The reality is a hell of a lot of people want to watch it. The overwhelming majority of the time, men's tickets in the latter stages of the majors sell out faster despite often being considerably more expensive. And TV audiences are most often greater. That doesn't square with your opinion.

And considering WTA players have traditionally experienced more burnout and early career retirements that ATP players, not sure what you mean by saying men are ruining their bodies. Playing 5 sets compels the men to condition their bodies better so they can cope with the longer hours.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts

Is this related to Serena not being participant/relevant in the latest ones, or just a coincidence?
No, because Serena participated in countless classic (and even more simply very good) Slam matches when she was active.

Sometimes there were boring Slams where she wasn't challenged; but just like it's not because of Federer that this year's men's AO is a boring processional for him, it wasn't because of Serena in those cases either.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts