Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
8,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this quite interesting....well, not really...that while both winning 6:2 6:1, it was described in quite different terms...its quite predicatable-- i know i will hear the usual statement either way but just wanted to keep reminding some folks...

·
Senior Member,
2,918 Posts
what, that serena is an animal? and that Kim is a fearsome opponent?

I've rarely heard maul used before in this context, but it does suggest being attacked by a beast.

From what I heard, though, Kim met tougher resistance from Conchita for the first set and a half than Serena got from Amelie match long.

A disappointing set of quarter finals there.

·
Banned
8,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kim crushes Conchita
By David Tutton
Tuesday, June 3, 2003

Kim Clijsters became the first player into the semi finals when she completed a routine demolition job over valiant Conchita Martinez on Tuesday afternoon. The Spaniard pulled all the tricks from her locker in a vain attempt to slow the Belgian's charge, but was powerless to prevent the second seed from winning 6-2 6-1 and booking her spot in the final four.

One hour nine minutes was all the teenager needed against the 31-year-old, who become increasingly frustrated at her inability to make experience pay. Her variations in pace, spin and height were all obviously designed to trouble Clijsters' no-nonsense game but unfortunately for the former world No2, the current world No2 was having none of it.

Refusing to be drawn into a game of cat and mouse from the back court, Clijsters concentrated on her own tactics and let her power game do the rest. And once the Flemish speaker got the bit between her teeth and began unleashing her searing drives low over the net, Martinez had no answer.

After a rusty start from both players, which saw them lose their serve twice, Kim found her range and rhythm at 2-2 and raced away with the set, helped by a rash of unforced errors on the part of her elder.

Eleven-times a quarter finalist at Roland-Garros, Martinez had more success with her slow - quick tactics at the start of the second set. In a long and drawn out second game she began to get her sliced drop shot working and finally won it after countless deuces.

It was back to the same story from there on in though, Clijsters countering Conchita's moonballs, sliced backhands and fiddly crosscourt shots with the same unswerving power drives. Never more apparent than in her decidedly unorthodox and weak serves, Conchita's game seemed to come from another era (one that certainly had more variety than today's version), but it was out with the old and in with the new today on Suzanne Lenglen Court.

Clearly delighted to have avoided this particular pitfall, Kim was lucid in her post-match analysis: "I had to be patient, because she's a great champion and the rallies lasted a long time."

·
Registered
264 Posts
bajangurl said:
I found this quite interesting....well, not really...that while both winning 6:2 6:1, it was described in quite different terms...its quite predicatable-- i know i will hear the usual statement either way but just wanted to keep reminding some folks...
Remember Kim has been bargelled in this tournament and Serena is not.
She played three sets and Serena is not.
Serena played a top ten player and Kim did not.
Same score line but different players. Martinez is out of form since
then, even if Serena had played her regarding Serena's form, she
could have bargelled her.

·
Banned
8,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Serena mauls Mauresmo
By Matthew Cronin
Tuesday, June 3, 2003

In one of the most ruthless destructions ever seen in a significant match on Philippe Chatrier Court, top-ranked Serena Williams destroyed France's Amelie Mauresmo 6-1 6-2 and charged into the Roland-Garros quarters on Tuesday.

Williams played a nearly perfect contest on the day, while a clearly nervous Mauresmo was never unable to unleash her full arsenal and frequently found herself watching balls whiz by her. The contest between two of the tour's most formidable players have been highly anticipated since the draw came out, but despite Mauresmo's fine play coming into the match, Serena was the far more focused and determined player on the day. Making a big statement about how she was prepared to attack every ball, Serena took huge cuts on Mauresmo's second serves, often burying balls into the corners.

Williams raced out of the box behind bullet serves and searing groundstrokes and held at love to 1-0. But Mauresmo couldn't match Serena's intensity. Double faulting in her first service game, she was easily broken when Serena crunched an inside-out forehand return of serve winner to go ahead 2-0.

Serena went up 3-0 with a forehand crosscourt winner and then jumped to 4-0 after she launched a flying backhand down the line winner.

Mauresmo finally got on the scoreboard when she broke Serena with a big forehand, but the five-time Grand Slam champion Williams raced through the next two games to win the set behind some nifty volleys.

Serena kept roaring in the second set, jumping ahead 4-0 before the crowd could catch their breath.

Mauresmo finally began to find herself, hoisting her groundstrokes and charging the net. The Frenchwoman scraped back to 4-2 after she broke Serena by forcing a backhand error. But Serena kept fighting and broke to 5-2 when Mauresmo double faulted.

Mauresmo held five break points in the final game, but Serena held firm, serving big when it counted. The defending champion won the match when Mauresmo committed a backhand unforced error.

Serena will play Belgium's Justine Henin-Hardenne in the semis.

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
why you say???? well because Serena beat a much better opponent that Kim, and they had the exact same scoreline, so Serena's carries much more weight, so hers is more important. and even if, i mean come on it's Serena, she always blasts her oponents off the court

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I don't see the difference between "crushed" and "mauled." Used as a sporting term, they each refer to utter domination of the opponent. Besides, you're comparing the words used by two different reporters who are probably not affiliated with each other. I see no problem here.

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
bajangurl said:

Joy love ya but I think you might be reading to much into this. Being a former sportswriter I can tell you that these adjectives are very frequent in sports.

I used them all the time and in fact it used to be fun to come with words to describe how a player or team would defeat another team, especially if it was a lopsided game or match.

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
LOL both girls won comfortably

but the contest at the beginning of the Kim match was close and enjoyable :D Martinez can play some class points when she wants to:D

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Well, the BBC site has Serena crushing Amelie and Clijsters sailing past Conchita, so I'm not sure if it really indicates anything.

My guess is that it was an alliteration thing "mauls Mauresmo", "crushes Conchita" sound better than the other way around.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
they still mean defeated

·
Banned
8,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, thats it Alliteration- i concede for after all Amelie did look like a dead animal out there-lol :wavey:

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Brilliant Alliteration, from the beauty of Bajungirl! (you see what I did there).

Both wins were pretty much the same, both of the opponents could have played better, perhaps Kim had the easier option, but then I would hardly call Conchi easy, with all that spin. I think the match times were the same as well.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
GoDominique said:
I think that the writers just love alliterations. ;)

Kim crushes Conchita

Serena mauls Mauresmo

Exactly!!!! It is just a headline with alliterations! I think the thread creator is a little paranoid :devil:

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
bajangurl said:
Refusing to be drawn into a game of cat and mouse from the back court, Clijsters concentrated on her own tactics and let her power game do the rest. And once the Flemish speaker got the bit between her teeth and began unleashing her searing drives low over the net, Martinez had no answer.
What is Kim, some kind of animal?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Why are we comparing what has happened? Let them make the final and then see who wins. That's what matters. Remember that in Australia Kim raced through the draw while Serena struggled...but Serena beat Kim.

Both ladies played well today - their winners/errors ratios were good and hopefully they can make the final and produce a good, fun match.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
GoDominique said:
I think that the writers just love alliterations. ;)

Kim crushes Conchita

Serena mauls Mauresmo
So did Henin race past rubin and Petrova zeroed in on Zvenerova? ;)

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
English has lots more words with similar but distinct meanings than most other languages and many of those words can themselves mean various things. If you start to alliterate them you are bound to lose some nuances.
Kim didn't crush Conchita in the match I saw. Crush suggests a more one-sided match. Animals crush things too (think bear). She took Conchita on at Conchita's game and beat her at it and then imposed her game. There were lots of rallies, angles, dropshots. Points were often long. Kim conquered Conchita.
Mauled is pretty accurate for what Serena did. Mauresmo was defenceless and Serena took her apart with lightning speed and power inflicting massive damage/shock on Amelie. It was one-sided. Thats what maul means. Its unfair though as Amelie looked quite good when she got into a rally later in the second set.- towards the end the match was closer, Amelie was better and Serena was worse than mauled suggests. Serena shattered Amelie.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts