·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quitting is never the correct option

By Leighton Ginn
The Desert Sun
May 1, 2003

It was only last week when I was in the office complaining about how much I hate quitters.

We were playing a game of two-on-two basketball when my teammate just quit while we were defending game point.

He said he was tired.

It was a gutless thing I thought I would never see again.

But just days later, I scan the wire and I come across Marat Safin.

In the finals at Barcelona, Spain against Carlos Moya, he just quit in the fourth set. The reason: Fatigue.

Fatigue was just another way of saying Safin had no heart and no guts.

It’s a slap in the face to Andy Roddick and Younes El Aynaoui, who played a classic five hour match in the Australian Open.

It’s a slap in the face to Michael Chang who over came cramps in his leg to defeat No. 1 Ivan Lendl en route to his French Open title in 1989.

It’s a slap in the face to Charlie Pasarell and Pancho Gonzalez, who played the longest match at Wimbledon at 5 hours, 12 minutes.

Most of all, it was a slap in the face to every Safin fan who believed he would be the next big star in tennis.

Effort has been a problem with Safin.

At the Pacific Life Open this year, he lost to the promising but inferior Robby Ginepri 6-0, 6-1.

My suggestion to Safin is why just quit at the tournament. Why not just quit period.

Then you can spend the rest of your time with Roberto “No Mas” Duran and the St. Bonaventure basketball team.

Safin shouldn’t be on the court wasting his talent, allowing his potential to go unfulfilled.

If Safin doesn’t care to compete, then he’s robbing the fans who paid good money to watch one of his matches.

The problem is Safin is vastly talented. He dominated Pete Sampras to win the U.S. Open in 2000 and had a shot to finish No. 1 in the world.

Along the way, he’s had some injuries that have slowed him down.

Back in the days when he still tried, he gave a game effort at the 2001 tournament at Indian Wells.

With a bad back, he had a pathetic serve, yet he hung in there and competed before losing to Thomas Johansson 7-5, 7-5.

What happened to that Safin?

Last year, he looked like he was ready to return to the top of the rankings when he reached the finals of the Australian Open, but he blew the finals to Johansson.

He just played a ton of tournaments without a plan or direction, other than to collect a paycheck.

http://www.thedesertsun.com/news/stories/sports/1051755202.shtml

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Wow, that was a rough article.

Truthfully, however, winners do quit (Agassi at the MC last year, right?)

However, winners don't tank matches, which is what I think this writer was getting at...

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,000 Posts
What a mudak..

Reactions: PS

·
Registered
196 Posts
Give the guy a break. He's recovering from injuries. He hasn't played competitive tennis in a month. I was surprised he beat Gaudio let alone JCF... but that's Safin....

I think he was surprised to get to the final. As far as he was concern he was just getting match practice. He got to the final and ran out of legs... he probably felt there's no point going on... he might aggrevate something... the last thing he wants is another injury b4 Rome, Hamburg and RG... so he gave up... called it a day... it is his choice after all!...I'm sure Moya didn't complain... did he?

He may be frustrating... stupid at times... but to say he has no guts.. that is unacceptable in my opinion...

By the way... I'm not a fan of his...I hope he gives up more often... especially when he plays against guys in my fantasy team... I dun have him in my team... becos he's too risky... he may beat the crap out of every1 and win the whole tourn... or he may just capitulate in the 1st round... who knows... but that's Safin... HE'S ONE OF A KIND....
HE MAKES TENNIS MORE INTERESTING... We can't have uniformity in everything.. there's enough of that crap going around ...

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Perhaps it's not fair in light of certain circumstances, but his effort has certainly been questionable in the past, has it not? Perhaps I'm thinking negatively about something perfectly innocent, but his attitude was the sole reason that I stopped rooting for him. I can't bring myself to care about the results of a guy who seems to care even less than I do, ya know? Perhaps I'm just confusing a seemingly poor attitude with effort on court, when they don't necessarily coincide...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Rebecca said:
Perhaps it's not fair in light of certain circumstances, but his effort has certainly been questionable in the past, has it not? Perhaps I'm thinking negatively about something perfectly innocent, but his attitude was the sole reason that I stopped rooting for him. I can't bring myself to care about the results of a guy who seems to care even less than I do, ya know? Perhaps I'm just confusing a seemingly poor attitude with effort on court, when they don't necessarily coincide...
I agree with his past efforts being questionable... yes... sure... he played poorly against Ginepri in IW... played poorly against other guys.. I dunno.. I dun follow his progess as much as I do other players...mainly becos he's simply so frustrating... I am not a fan of his ..becos of that reason.... he's so darn inconsistent... but if ppl keep putting him down... I might become one of his fan...simply becos I hate uniformity...

You say he DOESN'T CARE if he loses... have you ever asked him that? How do you know he doesn't care? I think he hates losing as much as the next guy...he just doesn't let it bother him too much... cos like he says... " dun ask me about the future... ask me about today... I might not be alive tomorrow..." ... he said sth along those lines...
It's kinda refreshing... dun u think? He's got a certain carefree attitude ..which I like... He has the GUTS to be his own man...
Safin has PLENTY OF GUTS.... dun confuse CAREFREE ATTITUDE with GUTLESSNESS...

He may win the tournament...or.. he may lose in the 1st round to a Qualifier... hey! what the heck! It's not the end of the world...

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
I said "seems to care" less than I, not "for sure, this is what Marat Safin told me when I asked him".

And of course it's not the end of the world. The mystery of Marat makes tennis that much more interesting to me. Will he or won't he play up to his level this tournament, and ot her such questions are fun to pose... and if Marat played 100% all the time then we'd never get to discuss things like this ;)

Btw, if you hate uniformity, than becoming a Marat fan in order to avoid this wouldn't make any sense ;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Rebecca said:
I said "seems to care" less than I, not "for sure, this is what Marat Safin told me when I asked him".

And of course it's not the end of the world. The mystery of Marat makes tennis that much more interesting to me. Will he or won't he play up to his level this tournament, and ot her such questions are fun to pose... and if Marat played 100% all the time then we'd never get to discuss things like this ;)

Btw, if you hate uniformity, than becoming a Marat fan in order to avoid this wouldn't make any sense ;)

I guess you're right .. as always ;)

Maybe I am a Safin fan...w/o knowing that I am... I certainly dun dislike him... I root for him when he plays guys like Hewitt, Roddick, Henman, Rusedski, Costa, Corretja, Vicente, Mantilla, Martin etc... but when he plays any of the ARGIES, Agassi, JCF, Moya, Roger... I hope he loses..

What does that make me?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
The article means shit looking at all the injuries he had.

I remember Krajicek coming back from injury last year and he was so tired after each and every match, it reminds me of what Marat has been through last week. It can happen to anyone and I think it IS a legitimate reason to retire. If you can't stand on your own two feet anymore then there's not much you can do.
F**k all reporter who keep bashing Marat while they don't know s**t about him.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ilhame said:
The article means shit looking at all the injuries he had.

I remember Krajicek coming back from injury last year and he was so tired after each and every match, it reminds me of what Marat has been through last week. It can happen to anyone and I think it IS a legitimate reason to retire. If you can't stand on your own two feet anymore then there's not much you can do.
F**k all reporter who keep bashing Marat while they don't know s**t about him.
You must be a devout Safin fan huh.. :).. I don't blame you for reacting the way you do... but Journalists have to make a living too ... by writing sth like this we readers take note of her more... shit I even remember her name...Leighton Ginn ... she's entitled to her opinion as you are to yours... but sometimes you gotta draw a line b/w opinion and facts...
to say that a man has no guts is like saying he has no balls... dats uncalled for...

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I AM a devoted Safin fan, but am realistic too. There are things that happened to Marat in the past that you can seriously question.
I have never seen the match he allegedly "tanked" and playing injured in 2001 wasn't the brightest idea he had, but this is different.
All those injuries were beyond his control and don't expect him to do miracles in his first week back.
The most important thing now is to stay healthy for the tournaments that really matter (Rome, Hamburg and RG).

I also look at things from a different perspective. At least this year he is mature enough to make the "right" decision and look at the long-term consequences of his actions.
He knows there's much at stake in the weeks to come and decided that killing himself in that match against Carlos (that he probably would have lost anyway) wasn't worth it.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
maybe the writer is right,maybe wrong.One thing I don't expect from journalists is to write about matches they didn't watch.And coming across a result on the web is not that.

I don't think it's a good reason-fatigue.But from what I watched he was slow on the court,not to mention he was at the net every freaking time possible after his serve (and that is obviously a very common tactic,especially with his volleys)I don't know what to think,but seriously I doubt that a person who stays on court sick while being 'destroyed' by Ginepri in the 3rd round,will give up in the final...maybe he really couldn't do anything,after all he couldn't practice for a month,and on clay you have to be ready for moving a lot????I have no idea what's in that head of his...

Furthermore,comparing matches in barcelona to gs ones is liek comparing apples to oranges...also Dick/Ela match at the AO was a fair contest with 2 guys barely standing on their feet...

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
You have to remember one thing that building your reputation takes years and then you can ruin it in a second. Rebuilding it takes much longer than building.

Since Maratski has a history with tanking matches, he's now very vulnerable to such accusations if there is a slimmest chance to believe he defaulted a match. Do not forget that reporters are also human beings and are as prone to cliche statements as we are. How Maratski has been pictured in the media: huge talent which does not give his 100 % to tennis, a suspect to tank and a nutcase.

Maybe it was true in the past, but he really changed. Sorry I have no time to translate some reports I've been reading on Russian message boards or Russian articles/interviews to prove my point, but if my words have some credibility - believe me, he cares about his results now. Much more than he did in the past :)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
MrsTheBoiledEgg said:
Since Maratski has a history with tanking matches, he's now very vulnerable to such accusations if there is a slimmest chance to believe he defaulted a match. Do not forget that reporters are also human beings and are as prone to cliche statements as we are. How Maratski has been pictured in the media: huge talent which does not give his 100 % to tennis, a suspect to tank and a nutcase.

of course they are human beings,just as the players,just liek the movie and music stars.It doesn't change my point of view,that writing an article without watching a match is dumb.I don't comment on matches I haven't seen

1 - 20 of 37 Posts