Tennis Forum banner

161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
21,884 Posts
Wimbledon cancelled. As was expected. No Tennis anywhere in the UK till at least 13th July.
No. That's both tours extending the cancellations until July 13th, not just the UK.

·
Registered
21,884 Posts
Expect the entire season to be called off at some point.

·
Registered
53,487 Posts
Bye Wimbledon 2020 :(

·
Registered
14,185 Posts
For crying out loud! Did you pull that figure out of thin air? As I write this, the updated figures of those cases which have been resolved (i.e. either dead or fully recovered) show a mortality rate of 19% - NOT 0.1%. The death toll so far is 42,151, with over 638,000 currently infected. If the mortality rate stays roughly the same, which it has done for weeks now, you can expect roughly 120,000 of those people will die. On top of that you have the thousands upon thousands of new cases every day. Even if all the currently infected people recovered it's STILL a mortality rate of 5%.

The USA is about to explode, with over 20,000 new cases yesterday, and the rate increasing as time goes on. So far they've had fewer than 4,000 deaths - unless something drastic happens they could lose 10 times that many in just the next two or three weeks, and goodness knows how many before the virus is finally brought under control.
You are talking about recorded infections. You cannot calculate the mortality rate using only recorded infections. We know this disease can be asymptomatic so it's impossible to record 100% of infections unless we test 100% of the population every day. Scientists at Imperial College London estimate the mortality rate to be about 1% (https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-Europe-estimates-and-NPI-impact-30-03-2020.pdf)

Your 19% figure is sensationalist, alarmist nonsense and you should think before writing things like that.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
You are talking about recorded infections. You cannot calculate the mortality rate using only recorded infections. We know this disease can be asymptomatic so it's impossible to record 100% of infections unless we test 100% of the population every day. Scientists at Imperial College London estimate the mortality rate to be about 1% (https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-Europe-estimates-and-NPI-impact-30-03-2020.pdf)

Your 19% figure is sensationalist, alarmist nonsense and you should think before writing things like that.
Lte me change "mortality rate" to "Case Fatality Rate" as someone explained yesterday. I have no problem with what you have written in the part I've bolded in the first paragraph, because I agree.

However, the 19% figure is an accurate representation of those recorded cases which have now been resolved. As the infection rate dies away, and more and more people recover, that 19% will come down. However, it will never get within a bull's roar of 1% because, as much as we would like it to happen, there simply can't be enough testing done to discover an infection rate that would support those figures.

And, as I write this, the 19% has actually lifted to 20%. The USA has had more than 26,000 new cases in the last 24 hours, and another 1,000 deaths. I'm quite happy for anyone to treat me as being "alarmist" for this, but "sensationalist" - no way.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,736 Posts
With all sincere respect, i think you should stop going around pretending that you know better than others about when things are going back to normal. I don't know, and neither do you... i'm not sure who appointed you as the authority to "warn" people that that they are "mistaken". But i think the appointment should be rescinded. Boris Johnson just tested positive for the COVID, and guess what? He's not sick at all. Hardly the advertisement that you'd want for continuing the panic.
This post hasn't aged well at all. I mean, this post really really hasn't aged well at all. o_O

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
This post hasn't aged well at all. I mean, this post really really hasn't aged well at all. o_O

I knew you were going to try to score some points off of this, but still, they just put him in there as a precaution and he's not really dangerously ill. I realize that you despise Boris but personally i'd trade Trump for him in an instant.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,736 Posts
I knew you were going to try to score some points off of this, but still, they just put him in there as a precaution and he's not really dangerously ill. I realize that you despise Boris but personally i'd trade Trump for him in an instant.
For the record I don't actually despise Johnson so much that I don't wish him a full recovery.

161 - 171 of 171 Posts