Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
I doubt it, grass courts are always outdoors, as they need sunlight. But surely Wimbledon could consider putting temporary bubbles over some of their outdoor courts so they could hold the tournament later on in the year?? That also means, they wouldn't need to offer refunds.
That's actually a really good idea (you could even play if it was raining). Several venues around the world have shade cloths or giant marquees covering some or all of their courts (e.g. Brisbane, Darwin, a couple that I've seen in Mexico), so the logistics of creating something similar in transparent plastic should be quite straightforward.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I love Jacinda. :love: While not all of her decisions as Prime Minister have been the greatest, her statesmanship, starting with the Christchurch mosque shootings, has been utterly outstanding. Our Opposition leader, Simon Bridges, took until yesterday to pull his feet out of his arse and throat and actually say something worthwhile. He's totally screwed any chance he had in our General Election (which will almost certainly be postponed from its scheduled date in September). Jacinda is also one of just a handful of politicians world-wide who've stood up to Trump and not kissed his ring.

ScoMo, on the other hand....I'm sorry you're stuck with him. Although it's not entirely his fault, the way that successive Australian Governments have treated New Zealanders over the year is a disgrace. The path to citizenship is a bank-breaking nightmare, and you don't allow Kiwis access to your social welfare system, no matter how long they've live in the "lucky country." And yet Australians living here can easily become citizens and, like any other permanent residents, have full access to our public health system and all Government agencies. We also don't deport people to a country that they've no connection with and then leave them to fend for themselves. Jacinda called him out on it, and his only response was a stupid smirk.

You can keep Russell Crowe. As for Crowded House, I prefer the original Split Enz - some of the greatest music in pop history which, unfortunately, most of the rest of the world never got to hear.
We even have a giant mural of her on a silo in Melbourne.

·
Registered
855 Posts
We even have a giant mural of her on a silo in Melbourne.

View attachment 175026
I wasn't sure that that would still be there, a year on from the shootings. You may not have heard, but the gunman pleaded Guilty to all charges when the Court sat yesterday. He was on a video link from prison in Auckland because the Court is in Christchurch and, apart from essential services and the last people trying to get home today, all travel between the islands has now been banned.

·
Registered
11,855 Posts
That's actually a really good idea (you could even play if it was raining). Several venues around the world have shade cloths or giant marquees covering some or all of their courts (e.g. Brisbane, Darwin, a couple that I've seen in Mexico), so the logistics of creating something similar in transparent plastic should be quite straightforward.
Yes exactly! The only thing is, you'd want the bubble to expand to a decent height. If for example, a player attempted a lob during one of the matches and the ball hit the roof of the bubble, it would mean the player who hit the lob would automatically lose the point. And this wouldn't happen outside or on the two bigger courts with higher roofs. But I dunno, I think if Wimbledon did want to postpone the tournament to Autumn, it would be the best way to make more courts avaliable during the tournament.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Yes exactly! The only thing is, you'd want the bubble to expand to a decent height. If for example, a player attempted a lob during one of the matches and the ball hit the roof of the bubble, it would mean the player who hit the lob would automatically lose the point. And this wouldn't happen outside or on the two bigger courts with higher roofs. But I dunno, I think if Wimbledon did want to postpone the tournament to Autumn, it would be the best way to make more courts avaliable during the tournament.

Wimbledon isn't exactly world famous for embracing new things though.This is a tournament that is still playing best of five sets men's doubles matches which went out of fashion in the rest of the world around 1876.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Wimbledon isn't exactly world famous for embracing new things though.This is a tournament that is still playing best of five sets men's doubles matches which went out of fashion in the rest of the world around 1876.
Talk to the New Zealand doubles players. They love best of five because, as Artem Sitak says, you can absolutely guarantee that the best pair will win.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
No one thinks this is social distancing is going to be viable for more than a few months at a time. For this reason there is a great urgency being put into finding a vaccine as quickly as possible. It will probably be a year before it happens though. How the world manages till then I really can't say. We will have to wait and see. But if you think we are going to go back to normal before we find a vaccine for this virus I have to sadly warn you, you are quite mistaken.

With all sincere respect, i think you should stop going around pretending that you know better than others about when things are going back to normal. I don't know, and neither do you... i'm not sure who appointed you as the authority to "warn" people that that they are "mistaken". But i think the appointment should be rescinded. Boris Johnson just tested positive for the COVID, and guess what? He's not sick at all. Hardly the advertisement that you'd want for continuing the panic.

·
it's just me against the music.
27,170 Posts
Is there any harm in Wimbledon announcing they're taking the Olympic slot and then canceling that in a month? Why not just buy themselves more time?

·
Registered
113,203 Posts
I think they might move to the Olympic spot. But if they insist on crowds, I dont think there will be crowds by August. They will be some sports, unless another tragedy happens, but not with big crowds

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
No one thinks this is social distancing is going to be viable for more than a few months at a time. For this reason there is a great urgency being put into finding a vaccine as quickly as possible. It will probably be a year before it happens though. How the world manages till then I really can't say. We will have to wait and see. But if you think we are going to go back to normal before we find a vaccine for this virus I have to sadly warn you, you are quite mistaken.
Indeed. This is the main issue, unless the world is ready to deal with a massive ecomomic collapse, and it is already bad enough as it is. The general aim is to try to flatten the curve as much as possible with social distancing measures to avoid health systems collapsing peaks, and hope that by May, if the number of daily new cases are manageable, some restrictions could be partially lifted. New treatments, massive tests and hopefully the heat could help to prevent new wild outbursts, but these are only wishings. I agree that the people that believe that in two or three months we are all going to be resuming our normal lives just from where we left them are in for a rude awakening. I am hoping next winter the outburst will be far less virulent for many reasons (more herd immunity, firm preventive measures, even in hopeless countries like Spain and Italy, and new treatments), I want to believe we are going through the very worst now (March-April), but until there is a widely available vaccine I doubt things will be the same again.

·
Registered
855 Posts
With all sincere respect, i think you should stop going around pretending that you know better than others about when things are going back to normal. I don't know, and neither do you... i'm not sure who appointed you as the authority to "warn" people that that they are "mistaken". But i think the appointment should be rescinded. Boris Johnson just tested positive for the COVID, and guess what? He's not sick at all. Hardly the advertisement that you'd want for continuing the panic.
Here you go again, pontificating when you're in exactly the same position! Boris Johnson's positive test has only just been announced. You have absolutely no idea just HOW sick he is, and what may happen to his health in the next few days. Of course he may recover in a few days but, for all any of us know, his immune system could already be compromised (maybe by something which even he doesn't know exists) and he will end up on a ventilator in an ICU.

It's not something I would wish upon him, but there are ever-increasing stories from people, both in hospital and amongst those recovered, about just how quickly the symptoms ramped up - even in those who considered themselves to be perfectly healthy. I just hope that your own country's health system is up to the challenge.

·
Registered
11,855 Posts
This is true. I don't think the bubbles are really that new though, I've seen them used often in the UK during winter by many clubs. But, I'm sure it would ruffle up some old fuddy duddies at the AELTC.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Just cancel all the slams this year. They will all be irrelevant if they are played back to back with the most random winners ever and in all later rounds. Some players will be out of form after weeks and weeks of lockdown is some countries.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Does it counts as a CYGS for Kenin if they do that?
Just cancel all the slams this year. They will all be irrelevant if they are played back to back with the most random winners ever and in all later rounds. Some players will be out of form after weeks and weeks of lockdown is some countries.
Does it count as a CYGS for Kenin if that happens?

·
Registered
8,462 Posts
The way the pandemic is getting worst everyday, it would be a miracle to have any tennis event played this year. We would need the number of infections to be going down right now, because all countries will be afraid of a second wave, so just to be safe they will let many weeks go by before all travel bans are lifted. That would be possible only if the contagion is ending for sure.
Even if an efficient treatment or vaccine were to be confirmed tomorrow, we'd have a few months delay until the whole world could get enough doses. As for the poorest nations, will they be able to get any in the first months?
Unfortunately this won't be all over in January 2021, so even the next Australian Open is in jeopardy actually. By all over I mean no more risk of a second or third wave and all travel restrictions lifted worldwide so that all players and their team can go. To play without a crowd is not an option if the players and their team can't travel.

61 - 80 of 171 Posts