Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
13,029 Posts
too pessimistic. It's doubtful that this lockdown lasts longer than another month.
It will probably be longer than that, but once people find themselves unable to buy food and pay their rent, we're going to hear a tune that's much different from "Every human life matters!!!!!!11", and that will be much worse than whatever damage the virus could bring.
Those idiots who think that the society can spend years in "social distancing" are in for a very rude awakening very soon.

·
Registered
724 Posts
It will probably be longer than that, but once people find themselves unable to buy food and pay their rent, we're going to hear a tune that's much different from "Every human life matters!!!!!!11", and that will be much worse than whatever damage the virus could bring.
Those idiots who think that the society can spend years in "social distancing" are in for a very rude awakening very soon.
I agree. We're likely to face a Depression like economic nightmare because of all the stupid measure put in place by governments.

·
Registered
11,855 Posts
Apart from the main courts at Wimbledon, are there any other covered grass courts in the UK (preferably in southern England or Wales, for ease of access to/from London)?
I doubt it, grass courts are always outdoors, as they need sunlight. But surely Wimbledon could consider putting temporary bubbles over some of their outdoor courts so they could hold the tournament later on in the year?? That also means, they wouldn't need to offer refunds.

Hopefully it won't happen that way. I think/hope governments are aware of the limitations of these measures, so when they say "things will be like this for 18 months or until a vaccine is available" they don't mean it will be like this continuously for that length of time, but just that the measures will be gradually lifted but then potentially gradually re-introduced during this time period, depending on the strain on the health service. I mean there's no way the level that we have now in the UK for example, would be sustainable for over 2 months. And China and many other countries have are already beginning to reduce the restrictions.

·
Registered
113,203 Posts
These governments are in a tough spot. If you dont have social distancing, you risk a situation like Italy, where they have to choose who they let die and who they try to save. In some countries they dont hav hospital space. But you cant let the millions who need a paycheck starve either
Has any democracy gotten thru this and improved? I dont know if China is telling the true story and Italy is still in a terrible way.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Why 2021? Let's just cancel everything for the next 15 years if you're so impressed with the power of this virus. HIV has been around since the 80s, how is that relevant to anything?

Rich people like most of the posters on this forum can afford to cancel shit and sit around all day doing nothing... poor people know that a hundred other things are more likely to kill them before some random virus, and they need to get on with their livelihoods, COVID or no.
I know right?
I wonder how our fragile ancestors survived the multiple outbreaks of black death in those dark middle ages, where there was no vaccine, nor any modern treatment methods available. That bacteria wiped out more than a half of humanity, yet we were still trucking along and carrying on with our daily lifes. Modern snowflakes should take a long and hard look into the past and grow a pair of bollocks finally, instead of shaking in their boots over a virus who is barely deadlier than a seasonal flu when we take into account all of the infected

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
There’s literally only one thing that can be “decided” next week and that is cancellation. They can’t say they will postpone it as nobody knows when all of this will be over, so postpone it to when? 1 month later, then cancel it closer to the time? No. Its already been cancelled. They will just make it official next week.

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
I know right?
I wonder how our fragile ancestors survived the multiple outbreaks of black death in those dark middle ages, where there was no vaccine, nor any modern treatment methods available. That bacteria wiped out more than a half of humanity, yet we were still trucking along and carrying on with our daily lifes. Modern snowflakes should take a long and hard look into the past and grow a pair of bollocks finally, instead of shaking in their boots over a virus who is barely deadlier than a seasonal flu when we take into account all of the infected
“It’s just the flu, bro!” - Madmax, world renowned scientist, March 2020

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,287 Posts
The Roland Garros move was very sneaky and smart because they basically nabbed the latest realistic date. The US Open could try postponing and letting Wimbledon (try to) take its spot but realistically Wimbledon is probably dead for this year.
Wimbledon would never have taken that spot anyway. It is too late in the year for a massive tennis tournament on grass in the UK to be viable.

95% likelihood is that the tournament cancels any possibility of playing this year. 4 percent change Wimbledon postpones the event for a few weeks. 1% likelihood remains scheduled in it's current spot.

I might be overrating the odds of postponement and remaining in it's spot on the calendar. Honestly cancellation is the only genuinely conceivable outcome to the talks they are going to have next week.

·
33,287 Posts
O2 Arena is NOT a tennis venue with a grass court. It's a multi-purpose events centre which just happens to be used for the men's Year-End Championships, which are played on a specially-built temporary hard court.

There are plenty of grass courts around London (the qualifying venue at Roehampton, for example) but, as far as I know, none have roofs. Roehampton's indoor courts are hard, because they're in a multi-purpose hall that's also used for other events (not just sports). And there's no point in playing the event on any surface other than grass, because it then just becomes another tournament - and it's no longer Wimbledon as we know it.

I've asked the question before, but nobody answered:

Apart from the main courts at Wimbledon, are there any other covered grass courts in the UK (preferably in southern England or Wales, for ease of access to/from London)?
I don't have a factual answer to your question. That said, if there are any other natural grass courts in the UK with a roof covering I would be absolutely shocked.

·
33,287 Posts
If you have no clue what's going to happen 6 months from now (and you don't), you should avoid making worthless predictions.
Advice you would be wise to heed yourself. Fact is when people don't know what is going to happen in 6 months and it is true, they don't, the vast majority quite sensibly opt for caution. And in the current scenario caution is the only option. I appreciate that you don't get that. But practically everybody else does and that is why everybody else understands why all these things are getting cancelled and why everyone is social distancing and you don't seem to get it.

Additionally it is clear from previous posts I have read of yours that you have absolutely no comprehension of the challenges involved in putting together a large grass court tournament, even without the issue of a coronavirus. Grass is an extremely challenging temperamental surface and it is not like you can just put some grass turf down at any time of the year and expect to be able to play a two week tournament on it.

·
33,287 Posts
No one thinks this is social distancing is going to be viable for more than a few months at a time. For this reason there is a great urgency being put into finding a vaccine as quickly as possible. It will probably be a year before it happens though. How the world manages till then I really can't say. We will have to wait and see. But if you think we are going to go back to normal before we find a vaccine for this virus I have to sadly warn you, you are quite mistaken.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
No one thinks this is social distancing is going to be viable for more than a few months at a time. For this reason there is a great urgency being put into finding a vaccine as quickly as possible. It will probably be a year before it happens though. How the world manages till then I really can't say. We will have to wait and see. But if you think we are going to go back to normal before we find a vaccine for this virus I have to sadly warn you, you are quite mistaken.
The only other light at the end of the tunnel could be if the testing becomes much more readily available and also that the antibodies testing too. That would at least make it more possible to test, isolate, hospitalise everyone exposed to the virus, like South Korea did. South Korea tested so much that it got a grip without having to close down the country completely. But now the cat is out of the bag is in so many countries, that will mean that virtually everyone will have to get one of these tests at some point before there is any confidence that they can let things get back to normal.

It is quite likely that visas and entry into tournaments for some months will be dependent on negative tests or the antibodies if there are countries which have got to grips with the virus enough to be able to host a slam, an ATP, WTA or ITF tournament.

·
Registered
113,203 Posts
It is possible a sport that is global like tennis is the last to return to normalcy.
But there is so much tv money in a major, I can see France & US trying to have the tournaments, even with no crowds
That is the decision going on all over the world. Caution vs losing huge money

·
Registered
171 Posts
The only other light at the end of the tunnel could be if the testing becomes much more readily available and also that the antibodies testing too. That would at least make it more possible to test, isolate, hospitalise everyone exposed to the virus, like South Korea did. South Korea tested so much that it got a grip without having to close down the country completely. But now the cat is out of the bag is in so many countries, that will mean that virtually everyone will have to get one of these tests at some point before there is any confidence that they can let things get back to normal
Hospitalizing everyone exposed to the virus would only be feasible in the early stages of the outbreak, right now you'd just tell people to isolate at home after testing positive unless they had severe cases.

Also not only would basically everyone have to be tested, but tested regularly (at least once a month). It's a lot of work and money to get testing to that level but it could probably be done sooner than a vaccine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What about this idea – make it a 5 week tournament.
Split the womens and mens tournament.
Take 128 players from each – test them and the minimum amount of staff required to run the Championship for two weeks before their relevant weeks. Once cleared to play, isolate them to play both the tournaments over a two weeks period separately for men and women. If it all works out – hold a mixed championship over one week after the both the singles championships have been completed.
If the pandemic has settled down in 3 months time – have spectators – otherwise no spectators, only TV Cameras.

·
33,287 Posts
Take 128 players from each – test them and the minimum amount of staff required to run the Championship for two weeks before their relevant weeks. Once cleared to play, isolate them to play both the tournaments over a two weeks period separately for men and women. If it all works out – hold a mixed championship over one week after the both the singles championships have been completed.
If the pandemic has settled down in 3 months time – have spectators – otherwise no spectators, only TV Cameras.
Errr....right. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds way too complicated. They have already said they will not hold it behind closed doors and with no fans. Sorry but this is probably getting canceled.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I wish Jacinda Ardern were our PM. Not sure what you think of her but from my perspective, her decisions are based on what is in the nation's best interests. ScoMo's decisions are dubious at best.The contrast in styles is stark. Her leadership has been far superior, the decision to shutdown NZ was decisive and timely, her messaging about COVID-19 has been clear. Whereas ScoMo has been the complete opposite on all fronts and he is working in SloMo.

I'd happily swap her for ScoMo which I understand would not be a good deal for you... How about we trade her for ScoMo plus Russel Crowe and Crowded House (yes I realise these are New Zealanders who we claimed as our own but we would promise to stop doing that now).
I love Jacinda. :love: While not all of her decisions as Prime Minister have been the greatest, her statesmanship, starting with the Christchurch mosque shootings, has been utterly outstanding. Our Opposition leader, Simon Bridges, took until yesterday to pull his feet out of his arse and throat and actually say something worthwhile. He's totally screwed any chance he had in our General Election (which will almost certainly be postponed from its scheduled date in September). Jacinda is also one of just a handful of politicians world-wide who've stood up to Trump and not kissed his ring.

ScoMo, on the other hand....I'm sorry you're stuck with him. Although it's not entirely his fault, the way that successive Australian Governments have treated New Zealanders over the year is a disgrace. The path to citizenship is a bank-breaking nightmare, and you don't allow Kiwis access to your social welfare system, no matter how long they've live in the "lucky country." And yet Australians living here can easily become citizens and, like any other permanent residents, have full access to our public health system and all Government agencies. We also don't deport people to a country that they've no connection with and then leave them to fend for themselves. Jacinda called him out on it, and his only response was a stupid smirk.

You can keep Russell Crowe. As for Crowded House, I prefer the original Split Enz - some of the greatest music in pop history which, unfortunately, most of the rest of the world never got to hear.

41 - 60 of 171 Posts