Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
How the hell could they hold an event in 2020?

So many countries have travel restrictions, players can't train, no warmup tournaments, the virus STILL SPREADING AND KILLING PEOPLE...

Like...bye Felicia.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Severely doubt they will have it this year. Even if it is held, surely will be a closed game with no crowd.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Cancel it.

I'm not sure why people are pretending things are happening globally before 2021. Even if your country will be fine before then, if you're hosting a global event then you have to accept the world won't have recovered before 2021.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The Roland Garros move was very sneaky and smart because they basically nabbed the latest realistic date. The US Open could try postponing and letting Wimbledon (try to) take its spot but realistically Wimbledon is probably dead for this year.

that would be a whacky solution, for Wimby to take the USO calendar slot, and then USO moves to Indian Wells in November... but more likely they'll try to put Wimby the week of July 27th (former Olympics week) and hope that Montreal/Cincy/USO can go as scheduled.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Cancel it.

I'm not sure why people are pretending things are happening globally before 2021. Even if your country will be fine before then, if you're hosting a global event then you have to accept the world won't have recovered before 2021.

too pessimistic. It's doubtful that this lockdown lasts longer than another month.

·
Registered
686 Posts
too pessimistic. It's doubtful that this lockdown lasts longer than another month.
It doesn't matter. Even if infection rates and death tolls begin to decrease in April and quarantining/lockdown rules began to ease up by then, the pandemic has already spread enough social and economic anxiety that I don't think will be conducive to getting people to travel or attend big sporting events. And tbh, given the nature of the virus, it really wouldn't hurt to err in the side of caution.

Stop wasting time, cancel the tournament, and use this time to talk to the other hundred tennis governing bodies and stakeholders about how to take care of the players, employees, and how to improve the sport for 2021 and beyond. The French Open's foolery was just the latest illustration of some the chasms fracturing the sport--I honestly lost track of all the different scoring systems a this point--and if we want the tour to grow instead of continuing down this road that will essentially lead to us only having the four slams a year, it's about time everybody started to join forces to make it happen.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Dream on. Our lockdown started last night. It's initially for four weeks, but we've been warned to be prepared for it lasting three months, just in case. And this is for a country at the ends of the earth, with no fatalities and only seven cases in hospital, none of whom need intensive care.

The UK is seeing dozens of deaths every day, with no sign of the infection slowing down. 2,000-odd new cases since yesterday, and another 50 deaths. Much as I would love it to be true, "another month" is woefully optimistic.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Dream on. Our lockdown started last night. It's initially for four weeks, but we've been warned to be prepared for it lasting three months, just in case. And this is for a country at the ends of the earth, with no fatalities and only seven cases in hospital, none of whom need intensive care.

The UK is seeing dozens of deaths every day, with no sign of the infection slowing down. 2,000-odd new cases since yesterday, and another 50 deaths. Much as I would love it to be true, "another month" is woefully optimistic.
I wish Jacinda Ardern were our PM. Not sure what you think of her but from my perspective, her decisions are based on what is in the nation's best interests. ScoMo's decisions are dubious at best.The contrast in styles is stark. Her leadership has been far superior, the decision to shutdown NZ was decisive and timely, her messaging about COVID-19 has been clear. Whereas ScoMo has been the complete opposite on all fronts and he is working in SloMo.

I'd happily swap her for ScoMo which I understand would not be a good deal for you... How about we trade her for ScoMo plus Russel Crowe and Crowded House (yes I realise these are New Zealanders who we claimed as our own but we would promise to stop doing that now).

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
O2 Arena is NOT a tennis venue with a grass court. It's a multi-purpose events centre which just happens to be used for the men's Year-End Championships, which are played on a specially-built temporary hard court.

There are plenty of grass courts around London (the qualifying venue at Roehampton, for example) but, as far as I know, none have roofs. Roehampton's indoor courts are hard, because they're in a multi-purpose hall that's also used for other events (not just sports). And there's no point in playing the event on any surface other than grass, because it then just becomes another tournament - and it's no longer Wimbledon as we know it.

I've asked the question before, but nobody answered:

Apart from the main courts at Wimbledon, are there any other covered grass courts in the UK (preferably in southern England or Wales, for ease of access to/from London)?
No, there aren't any such courts:)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
If a sporting event (or any other event, e.g., music concert) has to be cancelled for health reasons, it makes no difference if its indoors or outdoors. Therefore, the only logical position is that Wimbledon is cancelled.

·
Registered
38 Posts
In your fantasies. The virus is not going anywhere. It doesn't just disappear. Just as HIV or any virus hasn't gone. The only remedies for this virus are vaccine and immunity. Both are a delusion until 2021.
Ebola virus did disappears after several outbreaks in the past. But is not as contageous as most other viruses (thank god cause it's very deadly). But i agree that this corona virus is a stayer, just like influenza and other viruses that cause a cold.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
This virus will not go away, we have to learn to live with it. Makes no sense to close down everything for eternity. Once the numbers start dropping and hospitals arent overloaded anymore, we will have to restart our public lives.

I cant imagine the whole world on holding for one year, that would be much more devastating than the disease itself.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
In your fantasies. The virus is not going anywhere. It doesn't just disappear. Just as HIV or any virus hasn't gone. The only remedies for this virus are vaccine and immunity. Both are a delusion until 2021.

Why 2021? Let's just cancel everything for the next 15 years if you're so impressed with the power of this virus. HIV has been around since the 80s, how is that relevant to anything?

Rich people like most of the posters on this forum can afford to cancel shit and sit around all day doing nothing... poor people know that a hundred other things are more likely to kill them before some random virus, and they need to get on with their livelihoods, COVID or no.

·
Registered
113,189 Posts
Since its on grass and they said they wont do it without a crowd, it seems unlikely to have Wimbledon this year. Its possible the French Open happens wth limited crowds, and also possible US Open moves to Indian Wells or Miami and plays after the French Open with limited crowds.
So there still could be 3 majors from October thru January, 4 months

21 - 40 of 168 Posts