Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
113,199 Posts
I think they will take the Olympics spot. But they might cancel.

·
Registered
30,967 Posts
The Roland Garros move was very sneaky and smart because they basically nabbed the latest realistic date. The US Open could try postponing and letting Wimbledon (try to) take its spot but realistically Wimbledon is probably dead for this year.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Where? Wimbledon has just two courts with a roof. Do you know of any other indoor venue with grass courts?
They can play outside of Wimbledon area, if they have other courts with roof in London (one is O2 Arena) I don't see the problem, it's an emergency but at least tournament would be saved, just change the surface and voilà. If they don't have it's another story

·
Registered
53,469 Posts
Cancel

See you in 2021, Wimbledon!

Poor Sabine Lisicki

·
Registered
13 Posts
They can play outside of Wimbledon area, if they have other courts with roof in London (one is O2 Arena) I don't see the problem, it's an emergency but at least tournament would be saved, just change the surface and voilà. If they don't have it's another story
At that point it's not Wimbledon. No one wants to see a major canceled, but the US Open can be played in IW or Miami, but Wimbledon is can only be played at Wimbledon.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The Roland Garros move was very sneaky and smart because they basically nabbed the latest realistic date. The US Open could try postponing and letting Wimbledon (try to) take its spot but realistically Wimbledon is probably dead for this year.
Okay but they were the next to go anyway so....why would it be fair for Wimbledon to play before RG does?

·
Registered
847 Posts
O2 Arena is NOT a tennis venue with a grass court. It's a multi-purpose events centre which just happens to be used for the men's Year-End Championships, which are played on a specially-built temporary hard court.

There are plenty of grass courts around London (the qualifying venue at Roehampton, for example) but, as far as I know, none have roofs. Roehampton's indoor courts are hard, because they're in a multi-purpose hall that's also used for other events (not just sports). And there's no point in playing the event on any surface other than grass, because it then just becomes another tournament - and it's no longer Wimbledon as we know it.

I've asked the question before, but nobody answered:

Apart from the main courts at Wimbledon, are there any other covered grass courts in the UK (preferably in southern England or Wales, for ease of access to/from London)?

1 - 20 of 171 Posts