Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wimbledon will give players three chances per set to challenge line calls using video technology at this year's tournament -- one more than the U.S. and Australian Opens.

Wimbledon is introducing the Hawk-Eye system on Centre Court and Court No. 1 at the June 25-July 8 championship for the first time.

The existing cyclops technology will be moved to courts 2, 14 and 18. Cyclops, which has been used at Wimbledon since 1980, uses infrared beams to help determine if serves are in or out.

Wimbledon announced last month it would follow the lead of the U.S. and Australian Opens in introducing Hawk-Eye, but did not say how many challenges players would get. The French Open, which begins Sunday, will not use the system.

"The extra potential challenge recognizes both the importance of the service on a grass court and the fact that cyclops will not be deployed on the service line this year," All England Club chief executive Ian Ritchie said Wednesday.

"Statistics also show that players have been very sensible in their use of the technology so far, and it is right to grant them additional opportunities to use this highly accurate assistance."

Large screens will show line-call replays on the two courts at Wimbledon. Each player or doubles team is allowed a maximum of three incorrect challenges in a set. If the set goes to a tiebreaker, the players are given an additional challenge.

In the fifth set for men's singles and doubles, and the third set for all other events, the slate is reset if the score is tied 6-6, with each side able to make up to three incorrect challenges in the next 12 games.

Wimbledon said chair umpires can refuse "an electronic appeal" if they believe the challenge was not made quickly enough. The umpire can also request a replay if the line judge was unable to make a call on a point-ending shot.

Hawk-Eye will also be introduced at the Queen's Club grass-court warmup for Wimbledon. The tournament will adopt the same protocol as Wimbledon. Rafael Nadal, Lleyton Hewitt, Andy Roddick, Marat Safin and Fernando Gonzalez are among those entered.




Opinions? I think if they are going to use Hawk-eye, there should be a standard system used at all the events. They should not be able to decide how many challenges they will allow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44,018 Posts
Wow. They are really totally changing it up this year.

I just wonder if the fans will get to see the replays ... that would mean they are installing some kind of large monitar ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,672 Posts
I'm really happy they are giving them an extra challenge. Two per set wasnt enough, the players always had to be super cautious when using it, even when they really felt like a call may have been incorrect. Now I dont think that will be as much of an issue.

:yeah:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,560 Posts
the more the better :D!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52,365 Posts
I think the extra hawk-eye challenge is great!
 

·
Genie Bouchard of TF
Joined
·
108,493 Posts
thats really good for the players, i really hope the will use it often dislike it when players not challenge
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
40,059 Posts
it's always been that the show courts are the only ones to get hawk-eye
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,220 Posts
well since Centre Court hasn't got a roof, the screens could be put outside the court but up high right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
817 Posts
Only on Centre Court and No. 1 ... why?
Can you imagine the cost... BTW I don't think that they should install it, after they have tried it last year, on the courts if it is not equal for everyone to use!!! Why don't you send serena, vee, masha, fed, nadal etc. to the outside courts, THEN!!!!

Plus, the BRITISH ALWAYS HAVE TO CHANGE SOMETHING...:smash:

Plus they make it the more confusing to the not so tennis interested people!!!

What's a cyclops???
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top