Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
31,158 Posts
Wow Wonder Woman finally played like that. Until now she had largely been winning due to her opponents being terrible, but today she really raised her level and Strýcová was not bad at all. And her serve wasn't even close to its best :scared:. Playing mixed doubles seems to have been a great decision. Wonder Woman has also been less in the spotlight this tournament than recent slams, which seems to have helped her deal with the pressure a lot. Unless she is a ball of nerves again in the final it is hard to see her losing.

Well done to Barbie for reaching the semifinals, and she tried her best today but was simply outmatched.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
I did not see that coming. Halep better bring some.

Reactions: GAGirl

·
Registered
317 Posts
Once again Serena has worked her way into great form throughout this tournament. She was very scratchy in that first week but this match was great from her. I think the riske win really woke up the lioness in her again.
If she brings this level on Saturday halep is going to struggle to keep it close

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
Beautiful performance from Serena. Clicking and firing on all cylinders. I'm so proud of her for getting back into the finals after such a horrible loss at the French. You've already done everything you need to prepare for this just bring the same level on the serve, groundstrokes, movement and intensity on Saturday please! I just really really hope that we get to see this Serena in the final. Good luck against Simona (who I also like and am really happy for her being in the final) I really really hope Serena can bring it this time around!

Good luck Queen! very proud of you :worship::worship::worship:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Doubles was a great idea. Her forward movement is vastly improved and she is handling short balls with ease, vollying precisely. So happy she decided to play with Andy. In my opinion, this was a big part of why she lost to Angie so routinely last year.

I think she has had great match practice, particularly from Riske, going into the final to play Simona despite winning so easily today. Like others have said I don't think Serena served her best today either, but she was clinical off the ground and at net. Simona will surely expose Serena's side-to-side movement more than Babs, but I am confident the Queen will be up to the challenge just like the latter stages of the Riske match.

So impressive how she has turned up during week 2 here. Let's get 24 :)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yeah cause konta and serena are the same level. Lol.
Of course not but they both hit big balls and Strycova's variety outplayed Konta. Today she could not make a dropshot or volley. Would not have mattered anyway because Serena owns her but... Bara was way off which is understandable because of the big occasion.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Calm, collected and clean performance from Serena today :worship:

Everything worked well and she was completely focused on her job today. This match is a reminder of how well she can still play when she is healthy, injury-free, fit and motivated. With this win she secured her 32nd Grand Slam final :worship: Second only to Evert who has 34 of all time, male or female and 11th final at Wimbledon.

I don't know whether it will be enough against Simona in the final who is playing her best tennis ever on grass, but Serena will have her chances if she serves and returns well. She's lost 4 of her last 6 Grand Slam finals and the last two quite convincingly against players of Halep's caliber, so I can't be too optimistic :shrug: I'm hoping for the best, but no result would surprise me.

·
Registered
10,518 Posts
Barbie :hug:

Congrats to Serena :yeah:

Actually it's not impossible that Serena will surpass Navratilova's 9 Wimbledon titles if she continues to play for a few years.

In this weak era without big champions like Evert, Navratilova and Graf and with many one- or two-slam wonders Serena must really feel like a fox in the henhouse :lol:

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
That was clinical.

Serena rarely throws in important losses to players she usually beats (though it has happened, famously in New York).
However, you can't be as certain of her level from match to match right now because of lack of matchplay due to injury recovery.
So I thought Strycova might have been able to make this match a little complicated but Serena would win.

Serena wasn't having any of that today.
She seemed confident (perhaps mixed helped) and came out firing on all cylinders; Barbie tried but didn't get a chance to do much.
It was a very efficient, vintage Serena. It's wonderful to see her hitting so cleanly and being focused.

Strycova can also be proud of her great tournament even though she lost today.
She's still in doubles with Hsieh and they'll be playing a semifinal match vs top seeds Babos/Mladenovic tomorrow.
Beating THAT Serena in a Wimbledon semi is a tough ask but making semis in both singles and doubles is an achievement in itself.

·
Registered
85,686 Posts

Reactions: Rena P and JN

·
Registered
85,686 Posts
Reactions: BootsWGD

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
anyone who saw Serena carrying murray in those mixed doubles matches knew this beatdown was coming...... If Serena plays like shes been playing since that third set against Riske. Halep doesnt stand a chance.

Reactions: JN

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
NID. However, Barbie was injured and that made Serena's task even easier. Serena would have taken it anyway. This is Serena's title to lose. Simona would have to come up with a colossal nearly perfect performance to win. Just being realistic.
How was Barbie injured? She does those shoulders stretching at every match. She was doing them against Konta.

41 - 60 of 114 Posts