Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Strycova scrub, entered on the court defeated already mentally from the locker room. Serena didn't even had a drop of sweat. This was an easy training session for Williams, she will come fresh and relaxed onto the match against Simona, but maybe is better this way because she wasn't been yet tested this tournament.
If Simona keeps her level of today, she have a chance. Good luck Simona!

·
Registered
15,380 Posts
Lovely, flawless, dominating. BUT, here's my concern. Same set up like last year when she played lower ranked players and laid a duck vs Kerber in the final. So, I'm not sure what to think going into the final Saturday. Halep will be tough and for me its going to be a test of if Serena can handle the nerves. She will be the favorite going in and Halep will be a better retriever. So, I don't know. I will absolutely not be shocked if Halep wins, but I'm hoping Serena can keep up this level of play and manage her nerves in the final.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Bara played like someone who had never been to Slam SF before, just bags of nerves and missed all the shots she easily made against Konta. Serena got so bored, she even practiced holding from 0-40 at the end of the first set.

2 epic SFs today. Sorry, no refunds!
Yeah cause konta and serena are the same level. Lol.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
We made it, 4 years in the making, we are finally here, Serena Williams against Simona Halep in a Grand Slam final. Should have been USO 2015, it will be Wimbledon 2019. Really the best final we could have asked for. If Serena wins she finally gets that magical number 24. If Simona wins she closes a lot of mouths on here, either way we'll probably get another 3-set banger from them and I can't wait for Saturday.

Strycova did great getting here but Serena was just too good today, not much more she could have done.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Well done.

Awesome level!

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,414 Posts
Impressive play from Serena, much better off the ground today. Strycova’s game can throw a player off rhythm so I think Serena handled her very well.

She’s still going to need to raise her level even more if Simona brings the same level she displayed in her own semi but hopefully the final is a closer battle!

Reactions: UCanNotBeSerious

·
Premium Member
39,263 Posts
Best match Serena played in this Wimbledon, she's peaking now. :worship:

The final should be interesting because Simona will be her most solid opponent, and you could see from some rallies that Barbie sustained in this match that Halep could make it more competitive.

Given the balance of forces in the place, that final definitely looks promising. :yeah:

Serena looked vulnerable in the first week but now she's here for the taking. She controls her power and is focused. Only Halep can possibly make her implode/challenge Serena's limits on a long run. I've never seen Serena tired in my life, but it's more about movement than resilience.

·
Registered
30,215 Posts
Serena played really great today. Strycova was no opponent for her though. I remember how many people were excited about Serena beating Görges with only 6 UEs last year and then she played much worse in the final with more pressure and a tougher opponent.

So Halep still has her chances if she can move Serena around and handles her nerves well. At least Serena faced some solid baseliners and defenders in this tournament. Last year she only played aggressive players where she didnt have to rally much and it got badly exposed in the final.

·
Premium Member
62,818 Posts
Serena was on fire :worship:
Only question is whether she can get her nerves under control...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Strycova: almost constantly on the defense and pretty much out of her league.

Williams: Firmly in her element: it wasn't about aces today; it was movement and precision and pace on those groundstrokes.

And so here is Serena, the champion par excellence, near the mountaintop once again.

Will she reach the peak anew?

A good read:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/09/sports/tennis/wimbledon-serena-williams.html?searchResultPosition=7&login=email&auth=login-email

Number eight will get you number twenty-four, Ms. Williams

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I don't think the result would have been much different... if Strycova could breadstick her 6-1, imagine what Serena could do with her return.
well...tennis doesn't work that way though..matchups do matter a lot. Konta's got nervous af after starting well but her biggest problem was that she struggled to deal with Strycova variety...same thing probably wouldn't have happened here...Serena probably would have still won but it would have been had atleast 1 competitive set.

21 - 40 of 114 Posts