Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I was rooting for Svitty, but after seeing how passively she was playing (no depth or power, playing 6ft behind baseline), she deserved to lose.

Elina has to realize that sitting back and waiting for errors against an opponent who barely makes them is not a recipe for success.

Congrats to Halep - she was the far more aggressive player, and the deserved victor.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Svitolina overachieved in this tournament and it showed. She tried pushing and scrambling meters behind the baseline but Halep was too solid and this play won't work on grass. Tried to play more aggressive in set 2 but missed too often and didn't make a dent on Halep's serve. Such a boring match to watch.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
That was Haleps best grass court match of all time. Sensational.
Excellent serve in set 2, superb longline shots time after time after time.
Very aggressive mindset and tactics. Very interesting first and 2nd game.
Svitolina too defensive in set 1 and overwhelmde in set 2.
Halep will have her chances in the final. As fans, we can be proud of this Wimbledon campaign already.
Very convincing tennis from Halep.

·
Blighted and solo
43,935 Posts
Simona was so determined! Nothing was going to stop her from making the Final today. :hearts: She played with such perfectly controlled aggression.

Elina's lucky run has come to an end. If Margarita's body hadn't failed her, she would have been out in the first round.

·
Premium Member
39,263 Posts
Elina wasn't aggressive enough, and not confident enough. She still has a lot of progress to make (tactically and mentally, cause she has the game to dictate more against players like Halep). On the volley too if she wants to do better at Wimbledon.

Halep was her usual self, the hardest worker on the tour, solid and ready to put a battle. :yeah:

Onto the next now.

·
Registered
10,935 Posts
Congratulations Simona on making your utterly deserved Wimbledon Final! The match though itself was very lame and one-sided with 0 drama whatsoever and not that with all that many truly phenomenal points, but still featured many great down the line shots by Halep that would destroy Elina time after time. Simona is in great form, for sure. Well done - on sticking to your guns while close to the finish line, there are many players, including Simona few years ago, which stop playing how they did before where closing the match whereas Simona kept on hitting down the line in the best moments of the rallies winning points as she did before the last 2 / 3 pivotal games.

Elina was too passive, running 2 metres behind the line, hitting 80% CC puffballs and with no net game or serve the result felt NID, she's clueless at the net and her groundstrokes didn't have power or accuracy and were struck too rarely on the ascend to trouble Simona. Grinding and slicing by Elina was perfect for Halep to impose her own game. The scoreline could have been even more brutal if only Simona would punish those weak-ass 2nd serves from her which she didn't save for MP. She was very lucky to make the SF anyway, if not for Gasparyan's injury she should / would have been out of the tournament much earlier.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Sparkling performance from Simona after two nervous opening games! She served well (only broke once) and played aggressive. 26 winners overall! :worship:

Basiclina, on the other hand, was totally exposed today. ? She did nothing but push. It was telling that she was winning something like 20% of rallies over 9 shots... Simona was not going to be grounded down like her other opponents. I can’t believe so many on this forum thought she would win this match. This is a Slam, not a P5 after all.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Lol. Svitolina sucks hard. Buh bye, basic. For a second, I actually thought she was good but nope. She is terrible. She's pretty much dead to me from this moment forward. I cant forgive that shit show. No balls at all. Halep went for it and was the better, more aggressive player. Well deserved.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Disgusting, didn't try to hold serve in first set and that was it. Didn't try to volley. There goes another commanding H2H.

Can't think of a more boring and predictable final than Halep v Serena :scared:

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
I suspect it was the pressure clouding Svitolina’s mind - because otherwise she and her coach should know it’s not a good idea to let Halep dictate points.
Also surprised about how well Simona played drop shots.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
1 hour and 13 min..... whether that will be the longest SF of today we’ll soon find out :lol:

Reactions: lima isai

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Well, it's over.

Svitolina to me will always have this problem of being unable to raise her level or implement the right tactics when it counts (like Pliskova). That was an atrocious display, almost as if she didn't know why she was playing a Wimbledon SF (to be fair, neither do most of us). Its like she thought it was a P5 again and Halep will be subdued with her predictable CC grinding but it turns out its a Slam and Simona wasn't having it :lol:

Simona :yeah: Didn't expect to see her at this stage of a Slam so soon after that lackluster display at the French, and all those weird comments about "chilling" in multiple interviews and press conferences, which really just made it seem like she lacked ambition to do anything more. But its worked! A final against Serena would be delicious :drool:

·
Registered
8,972 Posts
My God, what a performance by Simona! Elina obviously wasn't very good, but Simona was close to perfect. Just the one blip getting broken to love at 2-1.

I know Elina is no Serena, but if Simona plays like this Saturday, she can win. I guess I will have to pick against her once more. Can't risk jumping on the bandwagon now.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Congrats to Simona for her maiden Wimby final ... take a rest a show your best
Elina :hug:

·
Registered
16,022 Posts
Good riddance, seriously how did she get this far in Wimbledon with that kind of game.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Congrats to Halep - far superior to Svitolina. At the same time, I still don't think Halep's play was all that great. Svitolina mostly didn't hit hard and kept hitting cross court shots barely past the service box into Halep's strike zone for her to blast it down the line. Serena (barring a major upset by Strycova) will not be giving balls like that to Simona in the final. She will not be able to regularly rally comfortably for 6+ shots until she gets the perfect shot to hit a winner. Excited to see the final.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I can't @ all the short balls and passive groundstrokes she was hitting today, and expecting Halep to gift her the errors her opponents in R3, R4 and QF did.
Elina has to realize that sitting back and waiting for errors against an opponent who barely makes them is not a recipe for success.
Svitolina...tried pushing and scrambling meters behind the baseline but Halep was too solid and this play won't work on grass.
Looks like we're all on the same page. I was bit surprised to see such a weak game plan from Svitolina, but then again, I probably shouldn't have been.

21 - 40 of 124 Posts