Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
Simona Saves The World From Extinction

I had my doubts but Simona saved Tennis for real...

Imagine that ridiculous pusher with amateur level slicing in a Wimbledon final....

The only real win was Sakkari, every other Elina win in this SF run had a reason behind it, injured or tired opponents.

The bad news is that Svitolina will remain in the top ten for the foreseeable future because of this tragic bottom half.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Congratulations to Simona for making a grand slam final on a third surface. I’ve always been surprised that it took her since 2014 to get back to a Wimbledon SF and now she’s in the final I think there’s a better chance of it being competitive than if Svitolina had won today.

Svitolina can’t feel too bad about losing today. She’s broken the GS SF curse and it might take the pressure off her when Roland Garros comes round next year.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
17,070 Posts
Can't believe Elina didn't show up for this match. :eek: Abysmal performance from her. Totally did not expect that, i thought she would be there mentally at least.

Well done Halep. Into the wimbledon final.

·
Registered
54,074 Posts
Simona :bounce:

She played a great match, her best tennis :)
Very aggressive and patient. She completely dominated :worship:
Amazing movement, smart, determined, mentally strong, impressive defense :yeah:
She wants this title !

Svitolina was lucky in this tournament, she should have lost in R2 to Gasparyan already.

Halep
26 Winners :hearts:
16 UEs

Svitolina
10 Winners
16 UEs

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Well done Simona! Elina couldn't really find her form. :hug: Its quite a shame how slow the court is playing tbh. Its like a low bouncing slower hard court :facepalm:

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Someone should have hypnotised Elina into believing that she was playing at Dubai or Rome.

This is the difference between slam semis and Premier finals. No carcass for you to feast on Elina!

·
Registered
687 Posts
What a lame performance by Elaine, only pushing! She has no business playing Slam semis. I blame Gasparyan's cramps for this mess. I don't think I can remember even the master pusher Kerber play like this.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Svitolina’s game was hilarious. One would wonder why she is in SF of a grass court Slam. :tape:

Congrats to Halep I guess. But if Serena is on the other side of the net, Halep is more than happy to gift her #24.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Pretty much one way traffic once Halep stepped up after the first two (tragic) games and decided to dictate the play. The dropshot was working so well for her.

This was such a weird match from Svitolina thugh. Not that Halep wasn’t playing rather well, but it’s odd when you’ve beaten someone four times (in pretty convincing fashion!) and come out looking totally clueless as to how to play them or what to do with their game. Perhaps it’s first time SF nerves or she’s still not the same player [yet] since the injury… but what a tepid, tactically unaware performance. She gave Halep every ball she wanted.

·
Registered
30,321 Posts
Pretty strong performance by Halep. The only thing that could cost her the title is if she's struggling mentally again in a big match IMO. Today she looked very good, many quality DTL shots, good serve in the second set, determination. Even dropshots and slices. Lots of stuff to bother Serena with.

Svitolina was awful. Couldn't do anything out there. It's a shame because she used to play really well against Halep but today not so much. I don't know how she made it to the SF to be honest. :lol:

·
Banned
446 Posts
Simona Halep's 5th Grand Slam final at 27 years old, <svito>lina goes home but with a bigger cheque than she deserved.

Halep only lost 1 set to Buzarnescu, and trust me Buzarnescu played in that day like at least a quarterfinalist. Certainly better than Svitolina.

Halep massively improved in every aspect, from volley, to smashing, dropshots and WINNERS. 26 winners in 2 shots sets! Oh, plus the serve... The serve was modified by new coach Daniel Dobre!

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Good riddance to that boring ass pushing from Svitolina :lol:

Didn't deserve to make R3 here, let alone SF. Exposed for the pusher she is on this surface. I can't @ all the short balls and passive groundstrokes she was hitting today, and expecting Halep to gift her the errors her opponents in R3, R4 and QF did. :lol: Basically tried to push her way past Simona who was way too experienced to let Elina do that to her. Svitolina's forehand today :spit: at times it was even worse than Wozniacki's.

Simona was impressive - some people may say she was pushing, but I don't think so. I thought she handled Svitolina's pushing and puffballs very well, and even hit some gorgeous dropshots. :drool: Her DTL shots today, especially her backhand :drool: her mentality and confidence in this match was flowing after she extended her lead to 4-1 in the first set.

God forbid Elina from making another GS SF if she plays like that again. Just... boring. After this performance, I feel even more disappointed for Karolina Muchova :(

Simona will have a tougher opponent, that's for sure, in the final - especially if it's Serena Williams.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts