Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
It is a big upset. No doubt about it.

Barty has been the favorite but still I wouldn't have put an awful lot of money on her winning the title.

Now Kvitova or Williams?

·
Registered
48,392 Posts
YES Alison Riske!!! Thank god she didn’t choke!

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Now where are all those Ash Barty Trolls who said in one my Thread that

# 1) Barty will never face pressure
# 2) Barty will be a Top Player for a long time
# 3) Barty will stay No 1 for at least 20 weeks

Even someone like Ash isn't immune to pressure like Naomi wasn't immune to pressure as well.
Well riske outplayed her. Riske didnt allow her to play her game. Almost all of riske shots were deep and hard.

·
Registered
35,813 Posts
24 winners to 6 errors in the last two sets from Riske :eek:

Barty wasn't at her best, but Riske played out of her damn mind after dropping the opener. It's unlikely she can sustain that for another three rounds, but that was a level worthy of the title. Easily the best performance of her career :worship:

As for Barty, she has a game style where she makes players beat her, but just doesn't have an answer when someone is peaking like today. I still think she'll be a clear No. 1 for the foreseeable future with her consistency and win more Slams, but it can lead to results like this too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So happy for Riske. I've watched pretty much all of her matches and it seems like the win in Holland gave her the extra confidence. Quite a muted cheer as well after she won as if she was meant to win. Completely outplayed Barty from the baseline. Ash was too passive and allowed Riske dominate all the rallies. As soon as she plays like that she's so vulnerable against so many powerful baseline players. Didn't look like a nr.1 player to me at all.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Congrats Ali :bigclap: :eek:
I only watched final set, in which Ali showed excellent performance
I didn't watch the 1st and 2nd set because I thought Barty would win easily but this time I was wrong :smash:

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
That was some text book grass court tennis from Alison, congrats. Tough day at the office for Ash. I like her chances against either Carla or Serena.

·
Registered
19,689 Posts
That was some text book clay court tennis from Alison, congrats. Tough day at the office for Ash. I like her chances against either Carla or Serena.
clay?

·
Registered
12,939 Posts
Wow surprised at this result but well done Riske. Great run of wins by Barty as well. Rest up and good luck for the hard court swing.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Wow what a high quality match. Could Riske even miss anything? Every shot hitting the lines.

Ash just couldn’t find a first serve most of 2nd and 3rd, her ball toss dropped and she was late in finding it again. Put in a good showing nonetheless and Riske just too good.

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
Grass GODDESS!!! :worship: I'm so proud of Ali this season, not only on grass but in general she has been playing amazing. This must be the greatest time of her life, she gets married in about 2 weeks as well! ;) This was a dream performance for a netplay lover like me!

Sad for Ash :sad: but she will have plenty of opportunities for this title in the future, and her winning streak was already very long without facing some true resistance. It's hard to adjust when you're so used to just powering through everyone without significant challenge. I had a feeling she might be upset today, actually put a small bet on it and won my lunch money for tomorrow! :)

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Barty was reeeeeeaallllllyyyyy bad :-/ wow. Disappointing but I guess it was coming after such a long streak.

Riske was awesome. Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Great performance from Alison, fully deserved the win.

She's fought so hard over the past week playing great grass court Tennis.

Not Ash's day today, her level seriously dropped in the second and third sets, Alison tactically beat her, Ash had no answers.

The grass GOAT finally doing the business at Wimbledon, long overdue.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Barty hasn’t really proven herself on the big stage yet. But Alison riske has some quite obvious holes in her game that you’d have thought she’d have been able to exploit.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Alison played fabulously to pull this upset off, well done. This is how you close the match - , not just by merely pushing and hoping your opponent would miss (watch and learn Polona Hercog!). This is the match in a row here that I watch of her where Alison just does not slow down or comes up with some strange ideas when she sees the finish line on the horizon, just simply keeps with what she was doing earlier and it pays off!

C2 takes yet another casualty to perpetuate its infamous reputation :eek:h:

41 - 60 of 141 Posts