Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
The grass GOAT finally has a deep run in Wimbledon. Great match!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Grass court GOAT Ali takes out <Ash> in a non-shock result. Ash was made look very ordinary, only servebotting and pushing in hope Riske beats herself. Not my type of No.1 player being scared yet again. Imagine her facing Ohanian, it could have been even worse. And I thought she had grown up...

·
Registered
18,933 Posts
Good match! Riske is unstoppable :worship:

Watch out Serena!

·
Registered
31,175 Posts
Wow, what a win from Alison :worship:. She played so well. It reminded me of Lauren Davis against Kerber.

Sad for Barty and I was hoping she could stop Wonder Woman, but hardly surprising. Her run was bound to end at some point—she has far from proven herself as a true top player and the pressure/expectations were getting unmanageable. She finally had a meltdown but she'll be back Im' sure.

Rennae Stubbs on ESPN weirdly went silent during the last game of that match while Pam sounded very awkward too so I'm thinking Rennae got really nervous watching :spit:? She came back on the air and sounded fine right after it was over though.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Riske 2019 = Rybarikova 2017.

Barty and her cakewalk draws finally come to an end. Ran into an experienced and superior grass courter on the day and was suddenly looking dazed and confused, poor thing.

World #1 with 0 Top 10 wins at a GS, just 4 second weeks reached at a GS, and just two GS QFs to her name. It is what it is, but things like this are part of the reason why the WTA #1 ranking is no longer an authoritative judge on who the very best player is. The WTA doesn’t have a best player, and hasn’t had one since Kerber in 2016.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Riske will win

·
I've barely watched Riske ever, but I love her mind set it's so aggressive, constantly looking to come into the net and redirecting the ball so well. She has such a nice grass court game. This was a proper grass court match because the serve was so crucial, you knew when Barty got broken in the final set that Riske was going to win it (unless she choked). So different from the usual WTA matches we see.

It has to be said Barty seemed a bit absent from the first game of the match. She won the first set but it was only because Riske was hitting sloppy UEs, and also Barty's serve was on fire. But in the 2nd set Riske tidied up her game and I think that panicked Barty a little bit because her serve deserted her. I think this last month caught up with her (who can blame her? FO champion + #1 in the world + and 15 match winning streak all pretty much within 4 weeks)

·
Registered
19,713 Posts
Riske was excellent today after a poor start. Kept great depth, hit through the ball with great intent. Barty's slices didn't really work for her as much today, as Riske kept her well on the backfoot. Barty was serving ultra well but that dissipated as the match wore on and I knew she'd get nervous. Riske took her chances today and made them count. Well done!

I really wanted to see Barty play Serena but Riske's QF Wimbledon run is a great story too, and if she plays like today maybe can give Serena some trouble.

Reactions: Tripolis

·
Registered
16,033 Posts
Serena won't be able to beat her I have to say :tears: I was hoping for Ash. Her balls are too deep and flat the balls that Serena hates and she's way more consistent now. Serena would have to serve well , move well, hit well, basically at her peak :eek:

Reactions: Perun
1 - 20 of 141 Posts