Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
That was so solid from Vika. I said a few months ago she just needs to keep plugging away at matches and she'll find great form again for the US/Asian hard court swings but it seems like she could be finding it here. Not to mention she's got a pretty good draw to go along with it.

·
Registered
32,047 Posts

Reactions: WhistleCleaner

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Vika :hearts: what a terrific performance.

Ajla played well for the opening two games then Vika just turned it on and destroyed her.

Everything was working well, I just hope she hasn't peaked too early :lol:

Play like that against what will probably be Halep, then we'll have a terrific match on our hands.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Holy Moly, time machines are real because this was clearly 2016 Sunshine Double Vika taking regular Vika's place! :inlove::worship:

Serve was definitely key to this performance, it was rocking and that gave her so much confidence and a clear mind to play the rallies. Tom's serve on the other hand was subpar and that got her on the defense most of the time. Still Tom kept fighting well all match and I feel that if Vika had dropped her level a bit she would have been right back in. That bagel second set had a higher quality than many 6-4 sets I've seen.

If she brings this level to Simona, she definitely has a chance.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Wow! This match finished so quickly. Gave Tomljanovic some formal education.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
ROS and Backhand masterclass from Vika... Backhand DTL was on absolute fire...I still can't see her getting past Halep. She just gets really really tight these days in pressure situations and I can see that costing against an opponent like Halep

·
Registered
115,963 Posts
Vika is in the right half. If she can get past next round she might go a long way

·
Registered
10,766 Posts
I had this on TV in the background while streaming Hsieh/Flipper, but from what I could see Vika was playing her best match in 3 years. Even with a lot of close games and deuce points, she was so fired up and really hitting the corners.

Also enjoyed Sam Stosur's commentary. :)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I had this on TV in the background while streaming Hsieh/Flipper, but from what I could see Vika was playing her best match in 3 years. Even with a lot of close games and deuce points, she was so fired up and really hitting the corners.

Also enjoyed Sam Stosur's commentary. :)
There weren't really many deuce games...only 3 I think...and all 3 were in 2nd set, with 2 of them being on Ajla's serve

·
Registered
13,994 Posts
Vika was very good today actually :) :eek: She's my dark horse for a title. :D

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
woohooooooo, if Vika was in Osakas sections she'd be a lock for the semis.

Will see if Simona is hampered by her injury, if so should bode well for Vika too hopefully.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts