Tennis Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That was a really great match, Potapova was very agressive and Martic was like a wall with her great backhand slice.. Lots of long and gruelling rallies... they were both out of breath at the net.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Best Women's match of the day, a thoroughly enjoyable watch especially sets 2 & 3.

Martic had to play extremely well to dig this result out, her class and experience just about paid off.

Potapova fought incredibly well, threw everything at Martic, showed great positive attitude throughout but it wasn't enough.

Great match ladies :clap2:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Martic is having a pretty great year. I saw her play live in Birmingham and though she was overpowered by Goerges, I liked her game a lot. Only saw a bit of this match. Potapova was noisy and aggressive but my second favourite Petra looked good with nice movement. Well done!

Reactions: Shvedbarilescu

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
That was the best match I saw since the beggining of the tournament, such an entertaining fight from both.:worship:

A match you can add at the long list of Potapova good matches that she should have won but she just can 't win those big points.The stats of the match are the BP as Potapova won 3/17 and Martic 4/9.

Of course she can improve a lot of things( serve and finishing the points at the net) but as soon as she will have few wins under her belt to build that confidence she lacks on the big points that will make such a change for her.

She 's really playing well and can be proud of what she's doing, the only things that missing is the reward for the good work.:hug:

Martic was very solid and able to give her that extra ball to hit and used the drop shot or coming at the net at key moment.All those wins and confidence under her belt made the difference, she really played a solid match.:yeah:

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
Glad beautiful tennis prevailed :bigclap:

·
Premium Member
19,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That was the best match I saw since the beggining of the tournament, such an entertaining fight from both.:worship:

A match you can add at the long list of Potapova good matches that she should have won but she just can 't win those big points.The stats of the match are the BP as Potapova won 3/17 and Martic 4/9.

Of course she can improve a lot of things( serve and finishing the points at the net) but as soon as she will have few wins under her belt to build that confidence she lacks on the big points that will make such a change for her.

She 's really playing well and can be proud of what she's doing, the only things that missing is the reward for the good work.:hug:

Martic was very solid and able to give her that extra ball to hit and used the drop shot or coming at the net at key moment.All those wins and confidence under her belt made the difference, she really played a solid match.:yeah:
Yeah the most frustrating thing about that BP conversion rate is the amount of shit returns she's done on them, she tried to go for too much on BPs at moments, but yeah she played well so lets hope she brings this to lower tier tournaments as well and not lose to likes of Dabrowski :hysteric:

·
Premium Member
44,827 Posts
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

From the score it looks like some of those gruelling matches. But Martic worked well and it is paying off.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Yeah the most frustrating thing about that BP conversion rate is the amount of shit returns she's done on them, she tried to go for too much on BPs at moments, but yeah she played well so lets hope she brings this to lower tier tournaments as well and not lose to likes of Dabrowski :hysteric:
She had a lot of tough lost in the last couple of years and lost all her confidence to deal with those points.That was her main strength but now when she's trying to go for it she's missing and when she's trying to be more consistent the opponent hit a winner.

She needs to play and win matches to build some confidence.She's moving well her groundstrokes are good, she isn't that far.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Petra :cheer: :cheer: :bounce: So pleased she was able to come back after a shaky start and get through this. Great match from both of them.

Keep it going Petra :yeah:

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
37,760 Posts
Best Women's match of the day, a thoroughly enjoyable watch especially sets 2 & 3.

Martic had to play extremely well to dig this result out, her class and experience just about paid off.

Potapova fought incredibly well, threw everything at Martic, showed great positive attitude throughout but it wasn't enough.

Great match ladies :clap2:
100% agree with every word. :yeah:

2nd match this tournament that Petra has fought back from a set and a break down. And the thing is she is doing it with such confidence and composure it is just amazing. This was a heck of a battle and Potapova was tough as nails. But Petra never looked discouraged. She looked like she relished the fight and always had the self belief she would prevail. Very very impressive.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
100% agree with every word. :yeah:

2nd match this tournament that Petra has fought back from a set and a break down. And the thing is she is doing it with such confidence and composure it is just amazing. This was a heck of a battle and Potapova was tough as nails. But Petra never looked discouraged. She looked like she relished the fight and always had the self belief she would prevail. Very very impressive.
IMO, this is something she has improved.
I recall that she used to be a lot more choke prone and got more down on herself after falling behind in matches.
In the past few months I've noticed that she doesn't get flustered at all (recall that win vs Ostapenko in Birmingham too).
It's somewhat rare to see a player's mentality improve markedly but I think Petra has done it.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
37,760 Posts
IMO, this is something she has improved.
I recall that she used to be a lot more choke prone and got more down on herself after falling behind in matches.
In the past few months I've noticed that she doesn't get flustered at all (recall that win vs Ostapenko in Birmingham too).
It's somewhat rare to see a player's mentality improve markedly but I think Petra has done it.
Yep. Petra has always had a lot of talent. But right now she seems to be so comfortable in her skin and she is able to enjoy her tennis and battling against an opponent that is playing well in a way that I don't think she was able to do earlier in her career. She is playing now like she is just so happy to be out there getting to show the world what she can do on a tennis court. And with that attitude it is clear she no longer has any fear of losing or winning. She is out there to show what she can do and whatever comes from that so be it. It is very refreshing to watch. :bowdown:

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
What is with this Pota screaming her damn head off all the time?! Its a waste of energy, and didn't look like she had much to give.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I agree with everything written here.
I never had sense that Petra would lose this match, she is so tough to beat when playing like this.
Potapova was good but she still doesn’t have high enough level to constantly hit great shots and that was needed today for the win.
I also loved each time Petra would slice her way to the net which is my favorite combination she uses in her game to win points.
I hope she will have enough energy for Collins who is capable of hitting much more powerful consistently than Potapova.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts