Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kiki up 5-3 in first set and wasting SPs on her serve at 5-4 :spit:

Petra :hearts: Keep going!!

*awaits Bajin's twitter post*

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Still hard to tell where Petra's at.

First set was messy, her ROS especially was piss poor.

She got better as the match went on though, her performance in the second set was solid.

·
Registered
21,914 Posts
Kiki looked to have the first set well in hand, and then suddenly couldn't find a first serve to save her life.

From then on, Kvitty Kat just cruised.

:cheer:

Reactions: Ed Hominan

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Petra hung in there so well at the end of the first set. :cool: Took it by a thread. Mlad was so intimidated by the thought of Petra's ROS.

Second set the Czech was zoned in and it was over soon.

Third round for Petra despite everything! :cheer:

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
Honestly even with Petra down 3 SPs in the first set this match felt NID :shrug:

Kiki just doesn't have the mentality to beat Petra. She tries to mask it by her constant 'Come Ons' and intensity, but you can just tell she is intimidated by the prospect of playing Kvitova. Maybe it's the H2H, but with this match-up you just know Mladenovic has lost it in the locker room before even stepping onto the court.

And you could tell when she just gifted Petra that game at 5-4 with 2 B2B DFs after the 3 SPs.

Petra wasn't great at all for most of the first set, got lucky that Kiki can't close out sets to save her life and then raised her level from 5-5 onwards. The 2nd was one way traffic, but her ROS was just SCARY in that set.

Plays Anisimova or Linette in R3 - Anisimova would be more dangerous for her but on grass I think she can get through that one - no more slow starts though!

As for Kiki, I wonder when Sascha impact will affect her game. So far, looks like there hasn't been any improvements - DF galore, BH still as weak as usual and mentality hasn't improved at all. Time to focus on the doubles I guess.

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
Kiki's 3 set points. :lol: One of them was a great bold forehand winner from Petra though. NID that she gave it up with two consecutive DFs.

Petra is starting to get back into the rhythm of hitting... her ROS got better and better throughout, I don't wanna underestimate her chances of making a deep run here. Of course she never really struggles with Mladenovic though and is so hot and cold, so who knows. But this was a strong performance, she knew she was never really out of that first set.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Oh no, wasn't she supposed to win a career GS now that she has Bajin as a coach?

·
Registered
14,924 Posts
Hmmmmm

Petra started out poor getting broken on her first service game. She then struggled on ROS for the next few games while Mlad's (quite honestly) wasn't serving great. Petra was eventually down 5-3 and 3 set points. However, Mldad's couldn't get her own serve together and double faulted a few times on that last service game, giving the first set to PK. You could see Kiki get frustrated at the end of the set.

During the second set, Petra held easy to start, then broke Mlad's on her first service game of the set. After, it just appeared Petra could easily bread stick her (and almost did) with Kiki talking to herself even more now. However, Petra had a loose ROS game, granting the 2nd game. Then Petra took care off business after with some spectacular ROS during Kiki's last service game for the 6-2 win.

Lot's of shots of Bajin, who really didn't have much to do during the match, particularly after Kiki blew that first set.

Decent comeback in the first set from Petra (with the aid of Kiki), while Petra played much more confidently during the 2nd set. Different type of game than her first match. But they were similar in the way Petra upped her game in the 2nd set with some intermittent spectacular play, improving the areas where she was poor in the first set. Let's hope her arm, confidence, and match play hold up, and continue to progress?

Poor RG Champ, I mean Kiki. I'm not sure what the H2H is now vs PK. But you could see her constantly talking to herself early for a confidence boost. However, by the end of the 1st set and start of the 2nd set, she was talking to herself to exorcise those Petra Demons returning in her head as it started to slip away for her. It was a combination of Petra playing better (though not complete) with Mlad's not living up to the moment, then feeling the pressure later with Petra's more vicious ROS in the 2nd set.

It seemed all the women on the on court interview after could do was talk about Petra's arm, and less about the victory (though I many have heard her mention potentially Anisimova, but not the other player). Petra didn't care.

Good Luck on the next one Petra.

·
Registered
13,390 Posts
Well done Petra, it's going to be a scrappy tournament from her. Hopefully she'll get through her next match.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Kiki is a DF machine...she can't go deep into tournaments until she sorts that out

·
Registered
16,943 Posts
Andy Murray 'Lol'

1 - 20 of 47 Posts