Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,324 Posts
Sloane was playing more aggressive than usual, really making that killer FH work and send Timea from one sideline to the other. Timea tried her best but too many times she just couldn't get out from under that pressure.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Really nice match from Sloane. She just has too much firepower for Timea. 25 winners for Sloane vs. just 4 for Bacszinsky. Closing out the match got unnecessarily tricky but Sloane prevailed. Also good to see Sloane’s net game today.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
What a gorgeous display of grass court tennis from Sloane! :drool: Hitting with huge firepower and good angles on both wings (had something like 12 winners in the first five games) and moving in wherever possible. Some nerves closing things out, but all in all a great win!

I'm happy to see that she's prepared adequately for grass, and is making the necessary adjustments. Footwork looked solid as well. The serve still needs work.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Nightmare matchup for Bacsinszky. Sloane can just absorb Timea's biggest weapon, her crosscourt backhand, and redirect it up the line with ease. It's not a pretty shot to watch, but very effective. She'd always get a soft slice in response. I've noticed before Stephens game is dependent on how well her backhand dtl is working. And Timea's forehand can deal with pace, but it doesn't handle topspin very well. This crosscourt heavy topspin / backhand down the line combo is how Sloane picks apart Kerber's game too

·
Registered
17,934 Posts
Great match from Sloane especially on grass which really isn't her best surface.

I loved her aggression & her willingness to go to the net. Not all out bashing, but controlled. Sloane should always play like this, not the boring pushfest she sometimes delivers.

The only problem was closing out both sets though, got promptly broken to love each time and she was lucky Bacsinszky herself was lacking in confidence to really push on after getting the breaks back.

I thought Timea was ok but way too passive and really her FH was too easily exposed by Sloane for her to make a greater impact. Did fight very well to get the break back in the 2nd though and very nearly made it 5-5 but it was not to be. Unlucky draw for her, hopefully she can get back into the world's top 50 soon, at least.

·
Premium Member
64,858 Posts
Timi played fine but Sloane was simply on fire today.
Back to clay I guess :cheer:

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
Sloane.... girl... I know this was only Bacsinszky, but this is why I can't quit you!!! LOL. So frustrating when Sloane doesn't play up to her potential or play the way us fans know she can. Who knows what the next match will bring, but this was a good example of how she needs to play all the time.

·
Registered
12,091 Posts
I didn't get to watch this match, but pleased to hear Sloane played more aggressively. She won't last long here if she doesn't.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts