Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) the second Monday (round of 16)
2) the second Tuesday (ladies quarterfinals)

I'd appreciate any tips, or tales of experience (the short version)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
dunno about those days, but first week me and Kimberley_82 (from here) queued from about 7am till the gates opened and it went really quickly, it wasnt great fun but it was nice, the atmosphere was good, queue was moving, people talked to each other, as long as you have someone with you and the weather is good its good fun :)

Reactions: Mana

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've done it before, at the end of the first week, Fri & Sat. But I'm wondereing if it's easier or harder than the first weekend. I'm hoping people will have gone back to work by then. :)

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
36,708 Posts
What sort of tickets do you want to queue for? Showcourt tickets will involve overnight queueing, whereas Grounds Admission will involve only 3 or 4 hours of queueing.

·
36,708 Posts
The Saturday lines and the 2nd Monday lines are normally the longest of the Tournament but ofcourse it depends alot on the weather too.

·
36,708 Posts
dunno about those days, but first week me and Kimberley_82 (from here) queued from about 7am till the gates opened and it went really quickly, it wasnt great fun but it was nice, the atmosphere was good, queue was moving, people talked to each other, as long as you have someone with you and the weather is good its good fun :)
Yeah that sums up the experience pretty well. Get on the line between 7 and 8 and you are normally in within 3 hours.

·
Banned
4,328 Posts
thank god for wimbledon we will get to see order and decorum not the uncouth behaviour we saw from the serbian and croatian fans in the beginning of australia and miami.thats why wimbledon is prestigious no unruly behaviour like heckling or screaming at your favourite'ts opponent.this is the only gs venue that is classy.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What sort of tickets do you want to queue for? Showcourt tickets will involve overnight queueing, whereas Grounds Admission will involve only 3 or 4 hours of queueing.
I can't do overnight queueing, I thought about it last year, and I'm just to high maintenance to be sleeping outside overnight, even for tennis. So it'll probably be grounds passes.

·
36,708 Posts
I can't do overnight queueing, I thought about it last year, and I'm just to high maintenance to be sleeping outside overnight, even for tennis. So it'll probably be grounds passes.
I don't do overnight queueing either. I am always very happy with the ground passes. There is always alot going on in the outside courts. :D

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Does anyone know how I can get to see venus photo & autograph without getting showcourt tickets?

Do you think that it's likely that Richard will be walking around or should I wait for her at arrivals....I'd love to get her autographs but just see myself getting showcourt tickets....any suggestions much appreciated

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I went on Ladies QF day last year... Around 2 - 4 pm... and I can tell you that there was NO queue at all... I was pleasantly surprised because of all the warnings of the '3 to 4 hour' queues beforehand from other people but there was no line at all...

But ground passes aren't that great during the 2nd week if you wanna see some big-names... they're mostly juniors or unknown double players on the outside courts.... but after 5pm you can get a recycled Centre Court/No.1/No.2 ticket for 5 pounds which was great... (a good 20 - 30 mins. queueing for this one)

:)

·
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.
21,902 Posts
Ladies quarterfinals day has the shortest queue. Since noone cares about woman's tennis you could probably get away with joining it between midnight and 3am on the Tuesday. To be on the safe side we usually set up camp after monday's play has finished then go for a meal into the village. :) On the first Monday you'll probably want to join it MUCH earlier... between 6-8pm at the latest if you want to be guaranteed Centre Court tickts. We were running late last year :tape: so joined it around 10-10.30pm and still managed to get Court 1 tickets even though Murray was playing (when Brits play you'll get an extra couple thousand amateur in line overnight)...which was fine for us because the Centre schedule was total shit.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
64,790 Posts
1) the second Monday (round of 16)
2) the second Tuesday (ladies quarterfinals)

I'd appreciate any tips, or tales of experience (the short version)

I have only been to Wimbledon once, on hte second Monday. I queued at 05:30 AM, which I learnt was way too early for only wanting ground passes. I just missed out on Court 1 tickets, but could still have Court 2 tickets. I didn't want any show court tickets though, just a ground pass. The waiting was long, but exciting I thought.

·
Registered
152,750 Posts
thank god for wimbledon we will get to see order and decorum not the uncouth behaviour we saw from the serbian and croatian fans in the beginning of australia and miami.thats why wimbledon is prestigious no unruly behaviour like heckling or screaming at your favourite'ts opponent.this is the only gs venue that is classy.
No, unless you're Damir Dokic. :rolleyes: BTW, the Aussie crowds are NORMALLY very well behaved too! And btw, the British people can be just as rude - talking on their mobile phones in the middle of points!

·
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.
21,902 Posts
No, unless you're Damir Dokic. :rolleyes: BTW, the Aussie crowds are NORMALLY very well behaved too! And btw, the British people can be just as rude - talking on their mobile phones in the middle of points!
You think talking on mobile phones during points (which I've never seen happen anyway) is just as rude as heckling and screaming at the opponent like complete idiots? :lol::lol::lol::lol: Good one.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
64,790 Posts
The Croats in the Rosmalen men's final were extremely rude, I'm sure you'd agree.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I was lucky enough to go to two first week sessions last year.

The first day I got in line at 7:30am and was lucky enough to purchase Court 1 tix w/ an "obstructed view." Lucky b/c the osbstructed view was a handrail that was near my knees. Basically the seats (2) were awesome, just above the large scoreboard that sits court level. And surprising they were available b/c Henman played that day, and we all know how popular he is there. Plus I was able to see Clijsters and Nadal that day too.

The next day I went w/ 4 others and got there at 7:00am. This time, not so lucky...grounds pass only.

My advice to you would be get there as early as you can if you want the show courts...obviously before 7!

check out some of my pix: http://www.pbase.com/nomalt/2006_wimbledon

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
i had wanted to just try queing over night, just the once, blocparty have you any advice? you say you set up camp then go for a meal? how does that work? what time do you have to be back in the que? and how does the night pass? do people actually sleep? are there stewards and stuff all night? or what?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts