Tennis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know everyone is upset and/or disappointed, but i need to discuss this to move on. this will be long. bear with me, fellow jen fans.

right after watching the match live i walked back into my room in a daze and signed on to WTAWORLD hoping someone can shed some light as to what THE HELL happened.

i then made a big mistake and started a thread saying if there ever was a time when jen beat herself, it was in this match. i 've seen numerous jen matches. and i play tennis myself. trust me i KNOW something was terribly wrong. it wasn't a question of if jen played badly, it's why. i was, plain and simple, upset and confused why it has happened again after the FO myskina match. i was not "in denial" or being a "bad loser"---jennifer couldn't do ANYTHING right. everything that could possibly go wrong did. shots, placement, footwork, attitude. what's most disturbing was towards the end of the mtch she even seemed to accept hitting every ball out or into the net. there was no frustration or anger. it was like she was in a bad dream and just wanted to leave the court. when she hit a ball to nowhereland she didn't pause and look or express disgust--she just looked at the ground and walked to the other side like a zombie. and frankly even i was getting used to her missing balls, because it happened almost continuously, whenever she got ready to really slam a ball or give it any power, i knew it was going out/into the net.

but of course, the thread i started descended into an abyss of accusations and bad energy even faster than jen losing her match. all of a sudden it was me making excuses for jen and belittling serena's win and not giving her credit and acting like the jen fan from hell and doing this yet again. what's worse is that people were convinced jen was fine and it was just that serena "blew her away". of course, i find out later they had not even seen the match yet.

i am sure many people thought i started the thread to mock serena, and deny capriati's loss. people stupid enough to think that are usually the ones who do so themselves. and i was stupid enough to actually reason with them. i dont ever try to falsly justify or take away from any player's wins or losses--that's just my style and i'm not stupid for chrissake's. but to have to try to prove that to a bunch of people who mostly were not using reason, on top of everything, was just too damn much.

i admit i made a mistake and got sucked into arguing with the "jen-haters", and sinking to their level. ( just having to explain " i am not disrespecting serena by talking about jen's play" i felt like i was a 4 year old talking to other 4 year olds). i started a thread just wanting to vent frustration, ask questions, and as usual it just turned into a mess. i probably caused more harm than good. but i do not regret starting the thread. it was something i truly believed--i know jen was either nervous or distracted or SOMETHING--and i know i did it without any bad intentions. and i know people who saw the match and know tennis will agree. i only regret stooping to the levels of those who took the thread to hell.

now, enough about me, let's talk jennifer. yes she played a good tournament, but let's not kid ourselves: like the french, it ended in such a disappointing and disturbing way i think we'd be crazy to ignore it. i can handle jen playing around her level, playing normal, and losing. but it is disturbing when she doesn't show up and sprays balls around, at this stage in her career. what is it?? is she nervous?? is it the pressure? i know pressure is tough and stress sucks but shouldn't she be used to it by now?? many many players get nervous and freeze, but this is too extreme! freezing and hitting wild forehands is one thing, losing 1-6, 1-6 is another. not to mention jen is a multi slam winner. and it's not even the finals!!! i know it is harder than we think, but honestly, the press only hyped the serena-jen match a day or two before it happened. it did NOT go on all week. cappy was NOT in the spotlight. the news barely mention her, and only one of her matches had been on centre court. and at the french, people started betting on jen only AFTER the quarters. she had a whole two days to let that get to her. if pressure like this can cause her to play like she did, then she might as well just not attend the finals, if she ever gets to one. and , what happened back in 2002 when she was number one seed and top-ranked and defending champ and still won australian?? why did she handle that just fine? ( and by "just fine" i mean relatively--she had that outburst during the finals). why does jenny lose experience and solutions to stress as years go by, while other players learn to deal??

i love jenny. she is human and not,like she said, a tennis robot, and that's why i love her. but GIRL C'MON!!! once is ok but twice in one month?? you have to start examining WHY instead of denying something needs to be changed. her ability to withstand expectations and pressure is EXREMEMLY low, and i'm being kind. how many times has she choked? is she gonna continue telling herself something doesn't need to be fixed?? i hate to say this but if we had to pick the biggest overall choker in the top 20 she'd finish pretty high up.

i know one of jenny's trademarks is denying problems or brushing them off. we've all heard them before. when asked about improving her serves back in 2001-02 she would say it was improving when in fact it wasn't. ( it now is better, yes, but how long did it take her??). there was the weight/fitness issue, and we know how defensive cappy always got. i dont care if she has a belly or whatever because i love her, but she knows getting the most fit she can will help her. there was the dad/new coach thing. i know she doesn't like to talk to the press about her problems, but i do think she also is reluctant to admit to weaknesses even in private, and thus, takes longer to change them.

i know jennifer knows what's best for her (given that she is being honest to herself), and i really hope she does something, whatever it is, about this mental block that she has whenever she needs to shine the brightest. what is she afraid of? why is it so hard for her when she is leading or expected to do well? why is it that she has trouble believing she can be the best?? hell, everyone around her knows she's the best, why can't she see it?

i still love her, and even if she never wins again i will still be her loyal fan. but it's frustrating me to HELL knowing that everything is there: the ability, the fight, the technique...but that whatever links it all together is painfully fragile.

i know she had issues with self-confidence, and has come a long way. but she still has a ways to go. this is just my opinion, but i think , last year, when she knew slams were a long shot for her, she was fine. and at the FO and at wimby, when she realized she actually had a chance, she crumbles. and playing serena: the whole time when she was expected to lose she played great. the minute she starts winning , the expectations from others and herself becomes too much. 6-1 6-1?? who are we all kidding?? it amkes me almost want to laugh. even in her serena slam days she couldn't beat jen like that. how can ANYONE think that score doesnt show something is wrong?? i KNOW the mental part of tennis is a big deal and not easy,but jen if you want to be a champ you're gonna HAVE to find a way to deal. if she wasn't chamion material then i wouldn't care. but she knows, we all know, she is champion material, so she 's gonna have to start acting like one.

there. all purged. i'm ready for the next match. and jen, you're the best. and i'm not just saying so.:kiss: :worship: :bounce:

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Wow hollywood7172....that sums up pretty much every thing i was thinking. As i was watching her match i couldnt understand what was wrong with her and why she wasnt fighting like she usually does :mad: :sad: . I was very disappointed and i still am, but i still love Jen and will cheer for her until the day i die!!! I still think she is the greatest tennis player to ever play the game. :)

I understand your reasoning for starting a thread in GM...i would have done the same thing myself (fortunately i wasnt home/or had internet access) to find out answers. This is going to bug the hell out of me not knowing what was wrong. Maybe she has too much on her mind to think about (age, previous tournaments, pressure, stress) while she is playing and is therefore hindering her performance??? Who knows...but i sure hope she is ok and gets back into playing form(mentally) and kicks ass in the US Open and the other tournaments before that. Lets go Jen!!!! :worship:

Reactions: HectorMagnus

·
Senior Member,
378 Posts
HI!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Jennifer, but objectively, in my personal opinion, others were right by saying it was not Jen losing the match by playing so bad, it was Serena winning the match by playing awesome tennis. I also saw the match live and in my opinion there was nothing Jennifer could do. She had no time to hit the balls, they were much too fast and much to placed to hit them back properly.

It's not the point that I want to give credit to Serena, because I do not really like her, but it is just how I see this. But I think this match was completely different from the FO semi-final. At that time Myskina did not play too dominant, so there were enough chance for Jen, but she really played bad tennis that day. But yesterday there was nothing she could do.

However, this would never be something I would angerly discuss with other people here. It should be just an exchange of opinions. Maybe you think about it again and then keep or change your opinion.

Bye,
saphir1

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
i think i good thing (maybe) that we can take out of this is that jen did not seem too down after the match. fair enough maybe she shud have got angry at herself or sumthin at least but i was glad she wasnt beating up on herself we all know she wil not b happy with that result but i no it wont affect her as bad as that US open match and for me that is a positive.jenny defended her points and lerned a tough lesson that u cant give serena an inch let alone the mile jenny gave her.
she played well all tournament bar that sucky match and i think she will jst push it from her memory....that is wot im gonna try an do!
jenny u R still the best and i will love u always

·
Registered
123 Posts
hollywood7172, I also need the advise of people knowing thinghs beter.
I read Jen's post match interview and I found it quite sincere and positive. I hope we can consider it so. This is a relevant condition to evaluate the whole thingh. Anyway, I want to consider Jen sincere. At the end, following her, loving her is like loving a character in a novel; something to enrich my day by day life. I don't pretend to know who exactly she is, how she spend her life, but is quite amazing for me thinking that she was there 14 years ago when I was young and she is still there now when I'm married since 11 years and have two children...
In my opinion she is keeping to think about age a lot:
Quote from Baltacha interview:
"Q. Is the lifespan of a tennis player changing, do you think?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: You have like a variety, I think. You know, there's, you know, over 30‑year‑olds playing in the draw, and I'm reaching that point. I think it's just ‑‑ is just a number. It doesn't matter. You know, it's kind of how you feel mentally, feel inside. I mean, look at Martina. I mean, you know, she's probably in better shape than a lot of people here that are playing. So I think it's just a number. "
And after Dechy match:
"Q. Can you talk about the decision not to have your family traveling with you this year.

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Well, I think just, you know, at this tournament, they've come with me other places, just sort of mixing it up. You know, it's not that unusual. I'm 28 years old. It's not that unusual to kind of be on my own and, and think I can handle it. You know, want to just try every possible option and give myself every chance to win a Grand Slam, another Grand Slam, to win Wimbledon.
"
That's why, in my opinion, she feel the pressure more: she knows that she hasn't a lot of years more. I remeber also a spot interview I saw before Wimbly when she said that if she won the tourny, only then she'll sleep quietly the night. She loves having fun and I love her for that, but, perhaps, she's keeping thinking about opportunities she lost in her early 20's.
But is also amazing for me hearing her planning for improvements in game and fitness:

"Q. You said you were 65 to 70% of where you want to be physically. Is that where you're thinking now, is you want to make a renewed effort in that area which will maybe push you ahead?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Yeah. I mean, I've only recently started working with someone new. You know, it's tough when you're still playing tournaments because you can't train, you know, at the same level. Kind of got to back off when you're playing.

So hopefully now, you know, I'll have a few weeks where I can just be consistent with it. And I think, you know, just get better and better. And really the only time is on the off‑season when you can put in that, you know, one or two months.

Q. Is there something specific you're doing now in conditioning?

JENNIFER CAPRIATI: No. Well, I mean, a different way because I'm using a different trainer. But, you know, it all kind of is the same thing in the end. I don't know. "

I'm sure she wants to get fitness, I'm sure she wants to keep hard working. I don't know how many opportunities she'll have but I don't care it at all. I just want to continue to see her smiling and doing her best.
(Thanks God she had the cap on in her interview after Serena's match. So we could just glimpse her sad eyes...)
Go Jen, you aren't just the best, you are unique!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I echo everyones sentiments here and I think a couple of things need to happen for Jenny...
1. Stop worrying about her age and the press saying it is " her last best chance for a slam" BS........ If she trains properly, Jen can sit at the top of the game for a 3-4 more years. Jen needs to believe
2. HIRE A FULL TIME COACH!!!! I commend Jen for trying new people and getting varied advice, but it is time to pick one and stick with it!!! Let the relationship grow...
3. Get back to the fitenees level you were in 2001-2002. She has made marked improvements from last year and early this year, but she still has gotta a little ways to go... It was good to hear that she knows she is only 70% and is working with someone new!

The only other thing I would suggest to Jen is to work with a sports psychologist, though I doubt she will.......

All the best Jen, we still believe!!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
as jen's fans, it is normal to be bewildered by that scoreline. but as you said, something must have been wrong. i can't believe T.Golovin got one more game than jen from serena! it is obvious that something was wrong. we all know that jen is a fighter,AO 2002 proved that. so if jen 'did not really show up' yesterday, there must have been a reason. jen is an emotional person, we all know it. when she plays, everything has to be like it is supposed to be. no noise between points, no people walking around. no bad line calls etc..... it is just her way of focusing. so maybe yesterday there was something else bothering her. it might have been that she was not feeling good mentally, we all wake up feeling sad and stuff without any specific reasons some days. this is life. some people can go on and do their usual stuff without it bugging them but some people cannot. jen is emotional, the smallest thing gets to her. i understand that, growing up in front of the world does not help..... i am just trying to say that maybe jen had something on her mind that was bothering her, and she could not focused... i am not sure i made sense here :confused:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
who knows????? it is true that some days you just wake up not feeling confident for whatever reason on the tennis court, even when you have been playing well...... but to happen in 2 big matches 30 days apart....... i dont know....... maybe it was just a coincidence, maybe something else is going on... I hope in a way that Jen gets really pissed and works her ass off.. She needsto get that singular focus on winning matches at any cost back!!

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
CapFan#1 said:
I echo everyones sentiments here and I think a couple of things need to happen for Jenny...
1. Stop worrying about her age and the press saying it is " her last best chance for a slam" BS........ If she trains properly, Jen can sit at the top of the game for a 3-4 more years. Jen needs to believe
2. HIRE A FULL TIME COACH!!!! I commend Jen for trying new people and getting varied advice, but it is time to pick one and stick with it!!! Let the relationship grow...
3. Get back to the fitenees level you were in 2001-2002. She has made marked improvements from last year and early this year, but she still has gotta a little ways to go... It was good to hear that she knows she is only 70% and is working with someone new!

The only other thing I would suggest to Jen is to work with a sports psychologist, though I doubt she will.......

All the best Jen, we still believe!!!
I agree. Well said! Go Jen!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts