Tennis Forum banner
81 - 100 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
14,127 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Good win from Maja, she seems like a nice person and it's good to see her come back from depression.

I used to like CoCo's game on grass. I thought she was lucky to get the chance to work with Pat Cash as her coach and I hoped that would turn into a useful partnership where she would learn some grace and maturity as well as improve her game, but it doesn't look like that lasted. Shame, but neither of them have talked about why they stopped working together so we'll probably never know why.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Everything you need to know about Maja Chwalinska...
1. She is tiny. Can't be more than 5'4. I suspect she is more like 5'3 if that.
2. She has incredible hands. The girl has unbelievable touch and people have been talking about her dropshots for a long time. She is as crafty as they come. Sort of a mini Radwanska.
3. She has suffered with both injuries and depression and took time out last year due to that depression.
4. She is incredibly down to earth, sweet, humble and very very likeable.
5. She would be a huge asset to the game if she establishes herself as a regular on the WTA tour. It is hard not to pull for such a likeable, crafty, diligent young lady.
She is slightly shorter than Rosolska who is 166cm, so 5'4 is realistic.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Terrible result for tourney. Coco is still capable of bringing really high level (like she did in Charleston against Pegula), what would make her really tricky opponent in 1st round, even some seeds would prefer to avoid her. While Chwalinska is pretty nice girl but well she is just a scrub, any decent player will dismantle without any bigger problems.
Any decent, correct.
That's why Coco lost, as also Errani did.
So I agree, decent players may beat Maja.
Indecent players cannot.

·
Registered
23,218 Posts
Vandeweghe is so unlikeable, my goodness. You would've thought slipping down the rankings would've made her more humble but no, she still acts like she's a good player (she wasn't in the first place anyway, that year where she reached top 10 was a fluke) and that she should be beating everyone.

Her comment to Maja... I mean gurl.... look in the mirror before making such statements I guess.

Anyway I've barely seen Maja play but from the bits I've seen I think she'll be a great addition to the main tour. Her game is a breath of fresh air amid the current baseline, hard-hitting games that most players share now. Don't think she'll achieve the same success as Aga, but would love to see her be a mainstay in the top 100. Hopefully she gets a nice placement in the MD, though I wouldn't mind her drawing Iga in R1 too so she can showcase her tennis on a big stage against her best friend.

·
Registered
9,413 Posts
I've always liked Coconia for some weird reason, but after seeing today's behaviour... Karma struck indeed, but probably not the way she wanted/expected.

As for Maja, really happy she qualified for her first ever GS MD, as others have said she's super likeable and with a pleasing game. The fact some idiots - who mocked her for her depression and rejoiced at her losses - now have a big egg on their face is just the icing on the cake 🍒:bigwave:

·
Registered
154 Posts
i am thinking that Poland is like living in a general mobilization state mentally inside the country bec of the war. in addition to Iga`s wind, i think societal conditions also pushes the players more. one must expect this from players of the countries in the actual war but such wars makes both of the sides lose as we can see the overall performances of the players from both countries.
Not really. 95% of people feel completely safe and don't think too much about the war in Ukraine in everyday life. Even majority of people helping Ukrainians don't think that threat to Poland is real.

People in the west parts of Europe have unrealistic ideas of what's going on in Poland these days. People around me are focused on their holiday plans.

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
Not really. 95% of people feel completely safe and don't think too much about the war in Ukraine in everyday life. Even majority of people helping Ukrainians don't think that threat to Poland is real.
oh it is great, after reading a lot of calls for the unity of Poles against Russia from Duda, i thought the ruling conservative party might create a state of emergency and benefit from the situation for its favour like other countries do. the overall increase in the level of Polish players might be related to recent successes of Iga and Hubi than.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
40,806 Posts

People in the west parts of Europe have unrealistic ideas of what's going on in Poland these days. People around me are focused on their holiday plans.
Yeah, I think early on things were looking pretty scary. But when Russia failed to takeover Kyiv it became clear Russia wasn't quite the all-conquering superpower it believed it was.

·
Registered
154 Posts
oh it is great, after reading a lot of calls for the unity of Poles against Russia from Duda, i thought the ruling conservative party might create a state of emergency and benefit from the situation for its favour like other countries do. the overall increase in the level of Polish players might be related to recent successes of Iga and Hubi than.
Poles are focused on themselves what's not good in general but works well under the current circumstances. Besides few people know Ukraine well. It wasn't mass tourism destination. Lviv was somewhat common but it's located hundreds miles from the front. EOT

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
Poles are focused on themselves what's not good in general but works well under the current circumstances. Besides few people know Ukraine well. It wasn't mass tourism destination. Lviv was somewhat common but it's located hundreds miles from the front. EOT

81 - 100 of 164 Posts