Tennis Forum banner
41 - 60 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Terrible result for tourney. Coco is still capable of bringing really high level (like she did in Charleston against Pegula), what would make her really tricky opponent in 1st round, even some seeds would prefer to avoid her. While Chwalinska is pretty nice girl but well she is just a scrub, any decent player will dismantle without any bigger problems.

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
Maja made 21 winners and 5 UEs the entire match. FIVE. In a 3-setter. She also had 78% 1st serves in. That's what I call keeping your cool in a crucial moment of your career.
View attachment 220570
as you can see from the total points won, maja won it over smart play and looked for the momentum shifts through letting Coco to choke on her shots. she accepted Coco`s physical superiority and sticked to the game discipline . She pushed the ball back hard by keeping it simple. Maja has never made Vandeweghe to feel like she is smarter to win this match. the only moment she reflected this was on coco`s serve in the 3rd game, maja tried to win the point in a net shots exchange by displaying her smart play. like she clearly conveyed that she is cleverer than her opponent with that shot. coco received that message and tilted and immediately held her serve and found a break point in the next game. Maja quickly returned to her original invisible plan and backed to her humble game play.

with an asymettric warfare based on tactics, ofc Vandeweghe lost her temperament and surrendered in the end with torturing, plundering and violating the rights of the opponent.

·
Registered
34,884 Posts
I feel like I’m the only one on TF who doesn’t root against Colleen - I think she’s hilariously entertaining. (I know for sure I probably wouldn’t get on with her in real life though 😬)

I can’t recall hearing of Chwalinska before. I see comments about her history of depression. I’ve just driven to London so my brain is too tired to check her background - is she an up and comer potential star?

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
Imagine her reaction if she had received a point penalty...
Not to mention game penalty.
yeah it would have been an award for her ego like she might have thought that she lost bec of the umpire. however what if opponent would have lost bec of that bullying and threatening?

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Maia's body is now more massive. I wonder if it's the effect of strength training or the antidepressants though. Mirtazapine makes you fat.

The most important thing is that she advanced to the tournament! As someone who suffers from depression I am very happy about her success!
She mentioned something about training less these days to give her body a break. In the past she felt that she trained too hard, put too much pressure on herself all the time, and it led to burnout and also injury woes.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Great result, watched that little woman from Poland in junior doubles final in Australian Open and she looks like have a hand of tennis god, her variety is amazing, hope to see her in top100 ASAP because she reminds me Ninja Radwanska in her skills.
Honestly, if she remains free of injuries and mental problems, under the right guidance I can imagine her in a few years becoming better than, let's say, current Kasatkina. She has a great feeling in her hand, you can learn a lot of things, but you can't learn that. And she's a lefty, that can be an advantage on it's own.

41 - 60 of 164 Posts