Tennis Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,813 Posts
I’m so glad Wimbledon have spoken out of their intentions - it’s a positive message to the rest of ITF / WTA - they, and the players, must adapt to the new normal.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
There’s something to be said about outdoor living though (especially in Europe). During the summer, it’s much easier for people to meet (at a distance) outdoors whether it be in parks, bars or our own gardens. When it’s colder and wetter, people are more likely to break those social distance rules and meet up indoors, where the virus can spread easier.
That's the same all around the Westernised world - including here and Australia - and in many other places as well.
I don’t think anyone is suggesting that the outdoor temperature itself affects the virus.
Of course they are! You only have to listen to 25 different pronouncements from President Trump to see that. And unfortunately many other people are on that same bandwagon.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Kinda off topic but speaking of temperature, the irony is that my country is most likely to have the lowest influenza and cold related death in forever this winter, even when including covid death.

Heck, summer went by marking the lowest cold/flu/covid related death and the highest suicide rate in years.

·
Registered
114,319 Posts
We still dont know what the tour will look like in 2021. But the majors have big tv contracts, so even with limited fans, they are going to happen
Everything else, it depends on the owner of the event. IW & Miami are owned by billionaires.
But Beijing didnt happen this year and YEC, so it is at the whim of the event owners to play it or not. Last year Osaka beat Andreescu in Beijing & Barty won YEC. That seems a long time ago
Thanks to USTA and Stacey Allaster for making the US Open happen. That means all the majors know they can do it

Reactions: BurnsTennis

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
The queue is the fairest way, other slams don't have anywhere near the same amount of demand as Wimbledon. It also means proper tennis fans get in. I wouldn't mind if they ditched the overnight camping for a year though.
I'd prefer a lottery with personalized tickets. If you can't go, the ticket is given to the next person in the lottery.

You could keep a small number of CC and Court 1 tickets for the camping lovers. Queuing is a waste of everyone's time.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Why do you say that, when it's nonsense? The Southern Hemisphere's peak of infection was in March and April, the same as the rest of the world. The difference is that those months are part of our summer, and the beginning of autumn. The biggest reason for infection numbers decreasing in the Northern Hemisphere's summer is nothing to do with the temperature - it's because medical staff have got much better at treating the virus. Infections decreased at exactly the same time in the Southern Hemisphere - which is our winter.

Latin America has the worst death toll in the world per capita, yet it's always hot. Of the biggest countries by population, India has the highest rates of infection after the USA, but it's always hot there too.

Please can someone put this theory to bed!
The Northern Hemisphere countries actually get a proper winter, whereas someone in Australia's "winter" is usually equivalent to a mild summer in the UK.

Practically nobody gets seasonal respiratory diseases like cold or flu in the summer here because there is a proper divide between the seasons, if we were constantly exposed to adequate vitamin D levels like the countries you mentioned then yes, it would be different.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
This may (and should) be the end of "The Queue".

personally i think the Queue is a great system. It means that anybody who wants to can go to Wimbledon on any day of the tournament, without inconvenient far-in-advance-planning or jumping through annoying hoops like registering for a lottery. All you have to do is invest 4 hours of your time sitting in an expansive, scenic park... the Queue is a great equalizer that takes advantages away from elite fans and gives them to ordinary people on limited budgets. Hopefully they keep it going.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
The Northern Hemisphere countries actually get a proper winter, whereas someone in Australia's "winter" is usually equivalent to a mild summer in the UK.
That depends very much where you are. There's a hell of a difference between winter in tropical Darwin and winter in temperate Hobart. And please note that I said "Southern Hemisphere," not Australia, because New Zealand and the southern parts of Argentina and Chile definitely get a proper winter - snow in the south, and temperatures below zero. It's no different from the UK in that respect.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts