81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts

·
Registered
12,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #83

Well, my bad that I didn't mention "in the last years" :) . 10 years or so.

Cause yeah, before 1995 and even in the early 2000's when you say that there were lots of USA players involved.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Is the Next In guaranteed of a MDWC?
Leaving aside the academic question of whether "next in" is a wild card in its own right or merely the non-use of a wild card:silly:, I don't think so. I guess they can reasonably award wild cards until the qualie draw is done and technically until the main draw is done. In practice, I think we'll be stunned if more than two additional wild cards are awarded (Zhuk + Ilkley winner), and fairly surprised if there are even two.

·
Registered
12,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
is Vika definitely playing here?
You can ask her but probably doesn't know either :) . It's a Grand Slam . Surely she'll wanna play and not withdraw unless it's pretty settled that she can't compete at a decent level.

Leaving aside the academic question of whether "next in" is a wild card in its own right or merely the non-use of a wild card:silly:, I don't think so. I guess they can reasonably award wild cards until the qualie draw is done and technically until the main draw is done. In practice, I think we'll be stunned if more than two additional wild cards are awarded (Zhuk + Ilkley winner), and fairly surprised if there are even two.
It's out of the question to be awarded after the Q draw is done.

Rodina won Ilkley. So she got the MDWC

·
Registered
12,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
MD changes:

Kr. Pliskova, Kozlova IN

- as 2 WCs were not used

Q changes :

Kr. Pliskova, Kozlova, *Rodina OUT
Reix, Boserup, Schaefer IN

*MDWC

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Zhuk snubbed, then, and likely Opelka too. I thought it was an actual rule agreed by the Slams that the junior winner was offered a QWC. Did I imagine that? Did they change the rules?

·
Registered
12,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Zhuk snubbed, then, and likely Opelka too. I thought it was an actual rule agreed by the Slams that the junior winner was offered a QWC. Did I imagine that? Did they change the rules?
Those are the final WCs. 6/8 used MDWCs and 8/8 QWCs, as you see them in Post #1.

Australian Open does that (with the Junior champion) .

·
Premium Member
66,164 Posts
Alexandrova just the second alt. :tears: Her game could be deadly on grass. Is anyone still in the list injured or MIA?

As for Zhuk, she had no business in the pro tournament this year because she is in dreadful form. She may have turned a QWC down herself this year in exchange for a possible one next year or something like that. :shrug:

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
You didn't imagine that. They usually give the junior champ a MDWC or QWC (depending on their progress/ranking), but then it is not an actual rule stated or could be guaranteed.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
I did think it was an actual rule that I'd read in the rule book, but if it was, it must be a long time since I looked at the rules.

A google search for "2013 official grand slam rule book" leads to http://www.itftennis.com/media/136151/136151.pdf. A search for "2012 official grand slam rule book" gives no good results, and "2012 official grand slam rulebook" leads only to a post on this forum that's not useful for my purposes.

I guess it might be feasible to use the Wayback machine to find older versions of the rule book, but that's beyond my patience and/or capabilities.

The 2013 version does not contain the word "junior", so if there was once an actual rule, as I'm convinced there was, it must have been dropped before then.

In case anyone's interested, you can read this year's rules in a vile flash format at http://www.itftennis.com/about/organisation/rules.aspx.

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
who are the next alt's for qualies?Is Hozumi there?:wavey:
It's stated on Post #1 already.

Last in for Q right now is #211 Vogt and Hozumi was #224 the week that the Q-list was made. Would need a lot withdrawals from Q (and also Q Alts)

81 - 100 of 122 Posts