Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the nations represented in the 16 finalists in the 1/8 round at Wimbledon.
-
Five are from the USA (money?)
Two are from China and France.
Only one Czech and one Russian.
One from GBR, Ukraine, Thailand, Japan and Indonesia
-
Six from Europe ,five from America, five from Asia.
-
Many times the finalists in the Girls Grand Slams have become big stars in the WTA.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Southern hemisphere performing badly this year, then.

Top seed Emma Navarro's dad is a billionaire banker so I doubt she needs much sponsorship.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
It's weird that Fruhvirtova's racquet makes a whistling sound as she strikes the balls. I never heard that before with any other tennis players. I wonder if it's intentional or not and if it should be prohibited so that it doesn't start a trend that could lead to too much racquet whistling. It looks intentional to me. Perhaps she wants that to be her trademark, kind of.

You can hear that in this video.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
So 2 French (and a guaranteed semi finalist), 2 Americans, 2 from Asia (Japan and Indonesia) and 2 Eastern Europeans (Russian and Ukraine).

Big opportunity for the winner, especially if it's someone who has already had a bit of success of the ITF scene like Snigur, Navarro or Parry, as if they are around 200-250 this time next year, they'll probably get a MDWC.

·
Registered
10,699 Posts
It's weird that Fruhvirtova's racquet makes a whistling sound as she strikes the balls. I never heard that before with any other tennis players. I wonder if it's intentional or not and if it should be prohibited so that it doesn't start a trend that could lead to too much racquet whistling. It looks intentional to me. Perhaps she wants that to be her trademark, kind of.

Maybe it’s the weird video sound? :eek:h:

Or maybe if the recording guys had put the camera on the opposite side, we could be hearing the same whizzing sound from the opponent's racquet, too. ;)

BTW, just a few days ago I was in that city where the filming took place (Pardubice). The winners of the local junior event went on to win about 40 slams in singles combined and many reached world No. 1 or 2 ranking in singles or doubles. One of the interesting winners is Marian Vajda, current coach of Novak Djokovic.

The Fruhvirtova sisters are considered as big hopes, but the elder one, 14, lost today to a 16-y-o old Indonesian girl after beating two 18-y-olds in the first two rounds.

Next time we get 'em!

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Maybe it’s the weird video sound? :eek:h:

Or maybe if the recording guys had put the camera on the opposite side, we could be hearing the same whizzing sound from the opponent's racquet, too.
No, because I watched a few games of her match streamed this morning and it was very easy to hear again, and there was no whistling from her opponent's racquet from either end of the court.

·
Registered
10,699 Posts
No, because I watched a few games of her match streamed this morning and it was very easy to hear again, and there was no whistling from her opponent's racquet from either end of the court.
Interesting. Nevertheless, I presume if the sound bothered her opponents the umpire would've taken appropriate measures a long time ago :shrug:

It can't be worse than the grunts produced by the likes of Sharapova, Azarenka, Halep, Vesnina,...

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
Not in the girls draw but there was Martin Damm Jr and Toby Kodat in the boys draw who are kids of former Czech pros who play for the States.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Interesting! It will be interesting to see how these players fare. In other sports, it always seems someone is the son or daughter or a former player, but that doesn't often happen in tennis. Sebastian Korda (son of Petr) won junior AO last year and is having mixed success on the challenger/futures tour.

Btw, it appears Elizabeth Mandlik had to withdraw from her 3rd round match. She won the first set, lost the second set, then withdrew. :sad:

·
Registered
34,283 Posts

If it is as mine, it is the antivibration device ;)

https://es.babolat.com/product/tennis/generic/sonic-damp-700039

I have been using it for about 10 years, and I cannot love it any more. :D

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Interesting! It will be interesting to see how these players fare. In other sports, it always seems someone is the son or daughter or a former player, but that doesn't often happen in tennis. Sebastian Korda (son of Petr) won junior AO last year and is having mixed success on the challenger/futures tour.

Btw, it appears Elizabeth Mandlik had to withdraw from her 3rd round match. She won the first set, lost the second set, then withdrew. :sad:
Korda, Kodat, Damm....imagine that being the U.S David cup team against the Czech Republic.

Oh and apparently Kodat is the half brother of Vaidisova?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

Maria Sakkari's mother Angeliki Kanellopoulou, had a career high ranking of 43.

ATP player Taylor Fritz's mother Kathy May had a career high ranking of 10.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
If it is as mine, it is the antivibration device ;)

https://es.babolat.com/product/tennis/generic/sonic-damp-700039

I have been using it for about 10 years, and I cannot love it any more. :D
I thought of that but I wasn't sure it could make that sound. However if there is a hole in the center like the one from your link, then that could be the reason. Do you think it is made on purpose to make that sound?
No other player seem to be using that thing or I would have heard that before today.

·
Registered
34,283 Posts
I thought of that but I wasn't sure it could make that sound. However if there is a hole in the center like the one from your link, then that could be the reason. Do you think it is made on purpose to make that sound?
No other player seem to be using that thing or I would have heard that before today.
Actually the hole is like a funnel, that is why the air makes that sound.

And yes, it is made with that purpose, it helps you to understand if you hit well the ball or not as it the sound changes with any slight change in grip, angle, etc :p

·
Registered
10,699 Posts
Maria Sakkari's mother Angeliki Kanellopoulou, had a career high ranking of 43.

ATP player Taylor Fritz's mother Kathy May had a career high ranking of 10.
Interesting. Hard to beat the Vera & Helena Sukova duo though.

The mother was a 1962 Wimbledon finalist (highest rank No. 5) and the daughter has been just inducted into the Hall of Fame for her achievements in 1980s and 90s: 4 slam finals plus 14 slams in doubles/mixed (ranked No. 4).

BTW, during this Wimbledon Sukova said that parental support was still the most important factor behind eventual success. This sport really requires dedication.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
What suprised me the most is that there were 3 BYE positions in Girl's Qualifying draw and 9 British players entered with the ranking far away from the top 150. I thought that Wimbledon is every Junior's dream to play, so I've got no idea why tennis players didn't show up at Roehampton to play Qualifying matches.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Also Polina Kudermetova (qualifier) - Veronika Kudermatova's sister is in the QF and she dropped only 6 games in 3 matches in the MD so far.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts